86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 Runner stuck in low on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 Runner stuck in low on cold start

First off thank you all for the archived information, I have been stalking the forums searching for an answer to my problem and I have been unsuccessful so I figured I would join and describe my specific issue. If you read the title you probably thought I am off my rocker but stick with me its a weird one that has me lost.

Ok background info, I just got stationed in Guam and I picked up a 95 4runner. it had a transmission code for a VSS or wiring issue. I replaced the VSS and reset the ECM and the code has not returned. The following issue was both before and after the replacement of the VSS. Ok so here is where things get weird, on cold starts (sitting more than 6 hours) the transmission is stuck in low. The 4wd shifter is physically in 2H. I can shift it from 2H to 4H and 4L but the transmission still acts as though it is in 4L, ie. 2500 RPMs going 10-12 MPH and not upshifting. I know its in low because It has the distinct low whine. also once everything is warmed up and working normal, I can shift it into 4L and it sounds and acts exactly the same.

Temperature here in the mornings is 75-80 degrees, even letting the truck warm up for 10 minutes it will occasionally do the same. So when the 4runner decides it is ready, it will shift fine and not "revert" back to 4L until it sits again. when its warm and working normal, it still has a delayed 2-3 shift (RPMs usually 3100) while light on the throttle. I replaced the shift solenoids, thinking it might help the delayed shift but it is still the same. I just can't figure out how the transmission can be in 4L when the shifter is physically in 2H. If you have possible solutions about the delayed shift that would be greatly appreciated as well but I figured I would tackle the most important issue first.

time for the questions:
Will the engine temp sensor cause these symptoms?
Is there a sensor that tells the ECM that it is in 4L?
Is it possible that there is an issue with the ECM?
Does this sound like a sensor or wiring issue?
Possible valve body issue?
What triggers the dash 4WD dash light?
Is that tied to the ECM or is it just a dummy light?

Again any and all possible suggestions would be greatly appreciated, low cost or free would be preferred but beggars can't be choosers. Thanks again!
Old 10-29-2019, 09:08 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Your first step is to acquire the FSM.

Your second step is to go through the trouble shooting flow charts..

I don't have that manual in front of me, but you haven't ticked all the boxes.. Fluid level and condition, cable adjustment, tps status all have major effect here. Your transmission can be stuck in low without the transfer case being in 4wd and low gear (you need to get eyes in the front shaft while it is spinning to confirm this)

Pretty sure the ECT is controlled by the ECU in this generation and not a separate computer, but there will be transmission codes you need to check regardless.

Sorry not a lot of help off hand.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Your first step is to acquire the FSM.

Your second step is to go through the trouble shooting flow charts..

I don't have that manual in front of me, but you haven't ticked all the boxes.. Fluid level and condition, cable adjustment, tps status all have major effect here. Your transmission can be stuck in low without the transfer case being in 4wd and low gear (you need to get eyes in the front shaft while it is spinning to confirm this)

Pretty sure the ECT is controlled by the ECU in this generation and not a separate computer, but there will be transmission codes you need to check regardless.

Sorry not a lot of help off hand.
No worries, thank you for the starting point. Any advice at this point is well appreciated. As you can tell I just joined the forum, do you know if I can find the FSM on here or do I need to look elsewhere? Thanks again for the response.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:28 PM

Can someone who has done the manual shift test tell me what connector to disconnect. I am following the FSM but I am not sure what connector they are referring to in the attached image. Based on the diagram it looks like it should run by the oil filter but the only wires on that side go to the front dif. On the passenger side I see two connectors and I am not sure which one it is.

FSM step im referring to

Only one two wire connector next to the oil filter

There are two six pin connections on the passenger's side.