Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4runner help. No clue where to start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok,, well I just got home (kinda) and decided to go out and check on that wire.. WELL look here.

That red wire (in red circle) comes off the battery. I believe its the Positive, as the other wire leads to the ground.

Then just stops well at earlier today it was wrapped in electrical tape, but still lead nowhere. I cant however remember if it was attached to anything before this happened. .. Im going to dig through my PC to see if i can find some pictures.

green circle is the 80amp fuse / fuse box

and that little blue circle is the bottom of the 80amp fuse, where it looks like there may have been a crimped connection.

In the morning ill do more, but its dark, and im sleepy.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That looks like your problem right there, if that wire comes off the positive battery terminal it should go were the blue circle is in the picture. That is the main power feed to the fuse box and it also completes the charging circuit from the alternator to the battery. I would also recommend that you upgrade to a heavier wire.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 AM

*edited. Read over Chefs post. he already mentioned it.

Last edited by McTibbs; 08-26-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You have to keep chasing the power with a voltmeter. You have something broken that is not completeing the circuits. Or that big power lead to the starter is melted and shorted somewhere, then the big power cable going the the side of the engine block. You can also take the leads off the alternator and insulate them while looking.
be sure to check the power lead from the battery to the fuse box. I know chasing wires is not fun or glamourous, but its the only way to find this gremlin.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:04 AM

Check to see if your getting 12v at that main fuse also. Pull the fuse and check V on the pos and neg terminals in the panel.

Also the ground strap on the head is to prevent corrosion on aluminum heads. Important but not critical to run
Old 08-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by linkspast
Ok,, well I just got home (kinda) and decided to go out and check on that wire.. WELL look here.

That red wire (in red circle) comes off the battery. I believe its the Positive, as the other wire leads to the ground.

Then just stops well at earlier today it was wrapped in electrical tape, but still lead nowhere. I cant however remember if it was attached to anything before this happened. .. Im going to dig through my PC to see if i can find some pictures.

green circle is the 80amp fuse / fuse box

and that little blue circle is the bottom of the 80amp fuse, where it looks like there may have been a crimped connection.

In the morning ill do more, but its dark, and im sleepy.
That's exactly the wire/connector at 80A fuse I was TRYING to be as detailed and explanatory as possible in describing, then saying, "YOU'RE DEAD IN THE WATER IF THAT'S CAPUT" LOL.

OK, so, first of all.......... NO BUTT CONNECTORS ANY MORE, OK? You really NEED to solder a contact like that, then run ALL NEW wire to the 80A post, with a new hoop/open end connector for the 80A post. OK?????

You can find inline fuses/fusible links at the auto parts stores ... and slap one in where you end up soldering in the center(soldering in the center IF you keep the 'RED' wire that's there and IF you do it Factory and re-install a fusible link). See, you already have a break in that wire where you could install a fusible link, then from the link run at least 10G(factory) to the Distribution Plate under the 80A fuse.

Don't bother 'checking/multi-metering/tinkering with anything until you get that connection re-connected, ya know? It supplies power, as I said, as the good man with the RED BEAST OF THE TRUCK(hehe) and as I'm sure others have/will mention... "TO EVERYTHING IMPORTANT", including your IGNITION, STARTER RELAY, COR, (from the>) ALTERNATOR, etc., etc., etc.... it IS your main power supply.

I hope you don't have any shorts, etc., that might have blown that section... But looking at your picture^^^^??? HONESTLY? It looks like the wire just plain fell out, .....am I wrong? If that's the case, DO NOT micky mouse it, pleaseeeeee? Just go to an electronics supply store or lowes or home depot or AutoZone, get a similar connector, then run a new wire to the batter with a fusible link in it, k? NOW is the time to slap in a 4G or 6G or 8G wire..... You'll obviously need a different connector on both sides to install to your Positive terminal and distribution plate(at the 80A lil bolt)

What I did, if you're interested, is got a 4G positive battery terminal cable at the store, hoops alllllllll ready to go! They're like 6$, Links, ya know? If you do it with a smaller wire, which is fine, trust me(no smaller than 10G), you will need a foot or so of wire, cleanly cut it off, figure out how you'll connect it to the positive terminal(what size hoop connector, etc.) and then get the right connector for the 80A side. You should be good to go!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 AM

Yep that was it.. I kinda just put in place, till I can get to the auto parts store..
Thanks for all the help, I would have never guessed that would of been my problem

Much appreciated. Shoot If you were in Salem id get you a slice of cake, I work at a cake shop ,sounds kinda homo, well it kinda is sometimes. But it pays for my truck..

Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by linkspast
Yep that was it.. I kinda just put in place, till I can get to the auto parts store..
Thanks for all the help, I would have never guessed that would of been my problem

Much appreciated. Shoot If you were in Salem id get you a slice of cake, I work at a cake shop ,sounds kinda homo, well it kinda is sometimes. But it pays for my truck..

Thanks again.
AWESOME! And HEY, watch that kinda talk about "CAKE MAESTRO'S"! LOL. My Cordon Bleu is in Baking, Pastry, Chocolate and Charcuterie! lol.

Just a 'BTW' for ya, .....

I'm left only to guess, ..."you've now temporarily connected the wire and you're rolling again"....and that's great you're rolling again.. But DO NOT let that wire fall off there again and ground out on anything! If you do, it could not only blow fuses but blow up your battery, blow your starter and then some! Get it fixed/fix it properly, asap, K?

Enjoy the ride, bud! And hey, ....no reason you can't mail me a cake, right? hahahahah, jk