86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZE Valve Cover Sleeve Insert Missing

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZE Valve Cover Sleeve Insert Missing

Over the weekend I pulled my Valve Covers to replace the Gaskets on a 94. During Cleaning I noticed I was missing one of the sleeve inserts that fit into the Valve Covers which the bolts pass through. I have two questions:

1. Is anyone aware of a part number or a similar piece that would fit? Looking at the Toyota diagram there is a part number for the 22 bolts 91511-60620 (Bolt, Flange) and 91511-60610 (Bolt W/Washer) but I'm unsure if either of these would include the missing component.

2. Are these supposed to help seal at all similar to other Valve Covers that use a rubber grommet? Most seemed to be firmly in place but a few were also loose.

After getting everything assembled I'm having a vibration/rattling/clicking. Could be related to valve cover bolts if the sleeves are supposed to provide a seal. I'm also going to reinspect all hoses if its a vacuum leak, and I also replaced spark plugs, but I don't think that's quite it after rechecking plugs and wires. The fuel injector connectors are also frighteningly loose after re-installation. I'm praying it didn't slip out into the valve compartment when pulling it out.

Picture of Toyota Diagram with an arrow to the sleeve insert. No part number is indicated for the part.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 824 Likes on 651 Posts
The metal sleeves are there to keep you from over-tightening the valve cover bolts. The valve cover is some form of tough plastic, but I expect you could crack it if tightened unevenly. There is a torque spec on those bolts, but that's pressing against the sleeve.

Note that the timing cover has the same sleeve arrangement (and i believe they are the same size). I was missing a sleeve there. I found a piece of stainless tubing I had laying around, that fit well enough to replace the sleeve (I held it in a little tighter with a dab of RTV). No, I don't recall the size of tubing, but you can put your calipers on one of your others and you may get lucky.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:26 AM

Thanks again scope, I might as well get you on speed dial! Okay good to know I can throw some tubing or maybe something from the hardware store in there. I reinstalled without it,but I wasn't worried about cracking with the low torque spec, but I'll find something I can throw in there.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
a piece from the barrel of a ball point pen might work. i've got one on my desk with an aluminum barrel. made me think of it...
Old 05-31-2017, 04:36 PM

Aha good point. I read this and instantly started scanning my desk. No aluminium pens here, I'll have to root around at home!