Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZE helpful mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry460
Ohh i forgot to mention that the guy didn't use the right gaskets anywhere on the truck so everything leaks! he used this quick gasket stuff, thats in a cock gun type thing. Now after 15k miles its all gone so now the trany leaks when i'm pulling up hills and everything under neath is wet with fluid... yay
Good lord what a goof!.... well there is the root of one of your problems...

good luck fixing it (seriously) at least it is fixable
Old 05-17-2011, 03:24 PM

Thanks man, ill let you know who it turns out hahaha
Old 09-25-2011, 05:40 PM

This i smy first post on Yotatech, I have a 94 4walker with A/T 4WD 3VZE... It was not well taken care of and since June I have changed all of the ball joints, front sway bar links, CV Joints, rebuilt the front diff, ADD to Aisin Mannual hub, new plugs cap and rotor, fixed some vaccume issues, new cat and muffler, new rear shocks, motor and trans mounts, trans/transfer fluid and filter change, coolant flush, couple of new coolant hoses, lots of replacing missing bolts (on-going), rubberized the floorboard, 30" tires, stock airfilter, new downpipe gasket, and lots of odds and ends from the junk yard including a stock skid plate. I will say that the ignition tune up and timing adjustment made the biggest difference. for the first 2 months I changed the oil and filter once a week to get all the bad stuff out. I did not use any special engine flushes, just an old fashoned oil change. that helpped big time too.

Next things on my list are a new knock sensor, rear driveshaft (it is vibing and it isnt my pinion or the trans flange) new valve cover gaskets, valve gap adjustment, intake cleaning (in a cleaning tank), and new rear springs with airbags. The 4walker sags way too much. I am currently working on the air intake mod, hope it works.

I am getting about 15.5-16 in the city and 19ish on the freeway. This week I am going to Padre from Fort Polk, La so I'll see how it does on a long 600 mi drive and how well it performs in 4 hi over an extended period (30 miles one way).
I am crazy about maintenance and I think that when this 3VZE blows I am either going for the merc 5 cy diesel or the 3.4L V6. havent made up my mind, either way i am keeping this transmition and transfer case. I love them....
Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 PM

Just want a reliable machine

I just discovered this thread and it's great. Thank you to everyone involved. Question from a newbie: I just want my engine to last and I want to do minimal mods. I am going to keep the airbox stock and probably not do headers. Do you think it is worth it to go with a vortex muffler and new piping for the exhaust? I'm planning on new plugs, wires, o2 sensor, etc.

Thank you
Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 PM

Thumbs up Mods to my '94 3.0

I installed a K&N Intake and saw my MPG go from 15-16 down to 13-14. Recently, just to experiment, I unplugged both O2 sensors. With the Check Engine light on I get 18 MPG, up and down mountain roads, with the AC on low. I have not noticed any performance improvement. I'm an IT guy, not a mechanic, but there were some things I've read that led me to "test' the O2 sensors that I won't bore you with :-)

It won't stay like this. I'm going to have a mechanic see if he can chip it or something.

I hear HHO kits (hydrogen) improve mileage - I know this isn't the place for speculative improvements, but I'll re-post to let everyone know if it was a FAIL or not.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 AM

this is a great thread!!!!!!!!

Guys,
Great thread, i have a question what is a ISR mod?
Also what should i look for when upgrading my alternator?

The 3.0 is slow, i worry sometimes getin on the highway .
Only mod i have done so far is the OME Suspension kit ,springs,shocks,
steering stabilizer,torsion bars{they are still waiting to go in}
I also replaced former airbags with a Airlift1000 kit in the rear springs.

I really like the 95 4Runner SR5 i have, would like to have had a better
Trans maybe a 6 speed that would make highway driving enjoyable.
Off Road it is fine like it is . I am thinking of doing an ARB airlocker in the
Future.I also have to replace the rear bumper, I am looking at a bumber
from Tactical Armor Group, it as a few options i have seen no where else
and it also has that the swing out tire holder as an option too.

Dual exaust is another item i am curiously wondering is a power/mpg option?
Let me know what you think feel free to pm also.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
Old 07-28-2012, 12:31 PM

how does removing the EGR valve improve performance and does it have any negative side effects on the engine life?
Old 07-28-2012, 01:36 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
it helps the acceleration response and actually makes the engine more efficient and have better gas mileage. lots of threads on it and i highly recommend it if you dont have to pass a smog test.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:02 PM

sweet as it happens because of the county I registered my 4runner in I never have to smog it again now that it's already passed smog, at least as long as I own it (don't plan to sell it any time soon ) I did some reading and research into it and it seems really simple but I'm leary of anything that might damage my engine, same reason I haven't tried seafoam yet
so I guess now I've only got 2 questions
1) will removing it set off the check engine light?
2) what about just plugging the lines and leaving it in place so passes visual inspection?
I'm already getting ~19.8mpg average, how much of a difference does it make?

Last edited by vehicular gaper; 07-28-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
search man search. this has been covered SOOOO many times

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ght=egr+delete
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...ght=egr+delete
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ght=egr+delete
Old 07-28-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Valve Lash

This isn't a mod but a maintenance item. I bought my truck new in 89 and around 140k miles, had to adjust the valves. Two exhaust valves were out of spec. If your engine has a lot of miles you should probably check em'. The exhaust valve will wear into the seat and reduce lash. This results in early valve opening with loss of power, overheating and other nasty stuff.

They are easy to check after valve covers are removed... and a pain-in-the-a$$ if you have to adjust them.