86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3FVE Swap (Which New Parts?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3FVE Swap (Which New Parts?)

Hi, last month I threw a rod in my 1990 4Runner. I have bought a 3FZE rebuilt long block and am planning to do a swap this weekend. I have never done this before and have a question.
I will have the old engine to strip parts off of, but I am wondering if anyone here can help me compile a list of what parts I should just go ahead and buy new. I figured the basics like gaskets, belts, and a thermostat. But other than that I am pretty much in the dark. Thanks for any help
Old 07-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Wait, 3vze?

The same engine or is this a SWAP?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
Wait, 3vze?

The same engine or is this a SWAP?
X2
Old 07-15-2008, 01:43 PM

I thought we had a good illiteracy rate in this country?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
F is pretty close to the V key. Me thinks its a typo.

Replace all the hoses (if they need it), coolant, belts, timing belt and tensioner, water pump, thermostat, knock sensor wire (if your new engine did not come with one)..

Last edited by Jay351; 07-15-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 PM

My bad. I meant 3VZE. I wrote the post at work and was trying to get it up before anyone noticed what I was doing. Yes, I threw a rod in my 1990 4Runner which has a 3VZE engine. I bought a rebuilt long block from MotorCrate Engine Sales. It should arrive tomorrow. As far as I can tell it is just a long block. Here is a link to the company's ebay website with a picture and description of the engine. Toyota 3VZE

Jay351, Thanks for the help.

So far my Napa list has hoses, coolant, belts, timing belt and tensioner, water pump, thermostat, and knock sensor wire. Can anyone think of anything else I will need?

Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:28 PM

plugs, wires, cap and rotor.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by dikatry
My bad. I meant 3VZE. I wrote the post at work and was trying to get it up before anyone noticed what I was doing. Yes, I threw a rod in my 1990 4Runner which has a 3VZE engine. I bought a rebuilt long block from MotorCrate Engine Sales. It should arrive tomorrow. As far as I can tell it is just a long block. Here is a link to the company's ebay website with a picture and description of the engine. Toyota 3VZE

So far my Napa list has hoses, coolant, belts, timing belt and tensioner, water pump, thermostat, and knock sensor wire. Can anyone think of anything else I will need?

Thanks again.
ummm 190 horses????? id buy one if that where true, let me know if it is when ya get it installed, pleassseeee.....
Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks again.

No problem, but here are a few items that are best bought at the stealer:

Coolant, use ONLY RED toyota coolant, all the other stuff will give you a charge in the coolant.. thatsa no good!

Water pump, I have heard so many bad things about aftermarkets, I don't think its worth the few bucks you save.

Thermostat, its cheap anywhere. Stealer would have the better quality one.

Infact, you can buy this stuff online. There is a vender offering a big discount on all toyota parts. Check it out!

p.s, don't forget all the gaskets you will need
Old 07-16-2008, 04:48 AM

I would replace the knock sensor and the coolant bypass tube that is below the intake manifold since it will probable never see the light of day again. also replace the oil pressure sender. You should be able to reuse the oil cooler gizmo mounted to the side of the block by the oil filter. It's about 600 new if you can't. I just had my engine replaced 10k ago. Theres some special sealant that is used in addition the the valve cover gasket. It's $60 from the dealer and you only use a dab of it. My covers still leak. It amazes the amount of engineering that goes into a vehicle and they can't seem to make the a valve cover that does not leak
Old 07-16-2008, 01:33 PM

Kellhammer, Jay351, and 76ANTHONY; Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.

76ANTHONY, I will let you know how the engine feels once I get it in. From what I’ve heard I will lose most of the HP by the time it gets to the wheels, but hell, it was only an extra $300 to go with the hipro version. I don’t now if ill ever get around to getting it dyno’d. It does say that this version has larger valves. It seems like one of the chief complaints is that valves on the 3VZE are too small and that’s what makes it hard to do any mods that give a substantial HP boost, so maybe this will open some doors to some mods.

As far a gaskets go, does anyone know which exact gaskets I will need? I don’t want to but a complete gasket kit because I figure I won’t need a head gasket as well as some others. But I’m not familiar enough with this engine or engines in general to know what exactly I will need. Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:15 PM

Kellhammer, Jay351, and 76ANTHONY; Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.

76ANTHONY, I will let you know how the engine feels once I get it in. From what I’ve heard I will lose most of the HP by the time it gets to the wheels, but hell, it was only an extra $300 to go with the hipro version. I don’t now if ill ever get around to getting it dyno’d. It does say that this version has larger valves. It seems like one of the chief complaints is that valves on the 3VZE are too small and that’s what makes it hard to do any mods that give a substantial HP boost, so maybe this will open some doors to some mods.

As far a gaskets go, does anyone know which exact gaskets I will need? I don’t want to but a complete gasket kit because I figure I won’t need a head gasket as well as some others. But I’m not familiar enough with this engine or engines in general to know what exactly I will need. Thanks again.
YEAH, JUST USE THE SEAT DYNO let me know if it seems to have some power. heck i'll get one too if so.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 PM

WOOOOW WOOOOW WOOOOW. there is a thread in here under motorcrate, check it out and talk to this member.....
Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM

i just wrote to motorcrate.com and they can show no dyno sheets or have any proof the engine will produce 190 hp. be careful with a purchase from them stating facts........
Old 07-16-2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by kellhammer
Theres some special sealant that is used in addition the the valve cover gasket. It's $60 from the dealer and you only use a dab of it. My covers still leak. It amazes the amount of engineering that goes into a vehicle and they can't seem to make the a valve cover that does not leak
there is? I had the same problem, and i just replaced the gasket and torqued it properly and i have no more leaks. Was there any burs or anything on the head that might cause it to leak that you noticed?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

x2, My top end was freshend up about 20k ago. Valve covers used the oem toyota gaskets and they don't leak a drop!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:49 PM

76ANTHONY,

Hmmm, thats a little concerning. The good news for me is that if something does go wrong with the engine and the don't honor the warranty, the state of Washington will be on their ass. The Washington Department of Veterans Affairs has a program for OIF and OEF vets where if you run into a financial emergency (like a blown engine) will will give you up to $2,000 a year to help out. In this case, the state sent MotorCrate a check, not me. So if this does go south, at least I wont be alone in dealing with it. And the company is located in Portland, and I am in Washington, so it won't be too far of a drive if I need to go shake things up. But as things stand now, they have been nothing by helpful over the phone and I am hoping that I don't have an experience like the other guy.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:37 AM

76ANTHONY,

Hmmm, thats a little concerning. The good news for me is that if something does go wrong with the engine and the don't honor the warranty, the state of Washington will be on their ass. The Washington Department of Veterans Affairs has a program for OIF and OEF vets where if you run into a financial emergency (like a blown engine) will will give you up to $2,000 a year to help out. In this case, the state sent MotorCrate a check, not me. So if this does go south, at least I wont be alone in dealing with it. And the company is located in Portland, and I am in Washington, so it won't be too far of a drive if I need to go shake things up. But as things stand now, they have been nothing by helpful over the phone and I am hoping that I don't have an experience like the other guy.
AWESOME, i really want to hear how this engine goes. just wanted ta let you know there was something on here. didnt look at their ebay feedback so that might be where id start. let me know how 190 horses feel when ya get her in there.....
Old 07-20-2008, 09:27 AM

I will. We have almost everything swapped over from the old engine. We should be dropping it in today.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Awsume! Did you get any pictures?

Quick Reply: 3FVE Swap (Which New Parts?)