86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.slow, really, that slow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
3.slow, really, that slow?

Hi guys, I just recently bought a 91 extended cab V6 manual transmission 4x4 Toyota truck.

I have never had an extended cab before nor a V6, I have always had the 22RE or the 2.7L from the tacomas, and let me tell you all, the power of the 3.slow is really, really low.

It seems as if the 4 cyl engines had more power than this one, even the 4 cyl Tacoma with automatic felt more powerful than this one.

Would the mileage had something to do with it? mine has about 203k miles, but it pours like a kitten.

Also, the tires on it a way too small for to make any impact on the power, tires are 29" AT's.

Any how, I haven't really looked for any info on how to give it a bit more power, but i bet there are out there some stuff that can add a few ponies and not break your bank.

What do you all recommend that will not be too expensive...
Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
If it's THAT slow, something is wrong. Have you checked for codes?

Parts wear out. Distributor, VAFM, EGR, Fuel Pump, all wear & can cause power losses.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
my 3.0 was faster than the 22re, 2rz and 3rz. I'd say it depends on how well its been taken care of.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 3vze pretty much all stock is quicker than my 2rz, im not sure about "faster" because of gearing differences etc. Both my trucks are manuals.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:24 PM

I had a lot of gunk inside the throttle body and air intake routing, I noticed big improvement cleaning it MAF cleaner. Next I found that previous owner tryed fixing the symptoms but not the problem. Using a lowly Haynes manual, I adjusted the throttle settings, the TPS, tuned it, replaced fuel filter and got the timing corrected. I would say that this truck now has equal or more pickup than the 06 extended cab 2.7 I used to own. Of course the 06 is quite a bit heavier.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Ive also noticed that advancing the timig to 15* works wonders for the power.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
With the 5 speed behind it, it should have some descent get up and go.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:32 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
My 3slo pulls way better then the last three 22re I've had. Check your compression. I'd suggest you also mod the crossover pipe to keep the 6 exhaust valve from cooking. And easy test to check this would be hold a rag I front of the tail pipe while the truck idles and see if the rag tries to get sucked into the pipe momentarily. This will tell you if you possible have a bad valve, might not be the number 6.
Also check your plugs, I had a bad plug when I did my heads and she had no power. Wires could be the culprit also. As mentioned check for codes, but bad wires or plugs won't throw codes.
I also did an ISR mod and have 2.5" exhaust all the way back, this helps but she is still no powerhouse.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
TNRabbit hit the nail on the head, have you checked anything on it since the purchase.? Some pic's also of the rig.

Last edited by ksti; 08-07-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 AM

I have had no time to spend on it trying to figure out what could be the cause of the slowness, when I first bought it, I noticed it, then took it to a mechanic friend of mine and he advanced the timing by about 5°.

The truck does not throw any codes, the check engine light is not on.

Don't know what the previous owner did on it, the only thing I know is that it belonged to an old couple back in Corpus Christi, TX living near the beach.

I do have a chilton manual, it covers all trucks and 4Runners from 79 to 95, so I'll look into adjusting TPS and such. As for the MAF, I'll stop by Autozone and buy one of those MAF sensor cleaners. I'll also look into changing the intake tube and doing a seafoam treatment also.

I haven't really taken any pictures of it, but I'll try to take some this weekend.

Also, it's using a lot of gas, it's doing about 10 miles per gallon, this thing sucks...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:44 AM
RBX

You do not have a MAF, you have a VAFM. also, i had a faulty VAFM that did not throw any codes FYI. I hope it is a simple fix for you.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Replace the O2 sensor. It's the #1 cause of poor fuel economy. Won't usually throw a code.

Did you actually check for codes or are you basing that on no CEL? You can have stored codes with no CEL.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 AM

10 MPG is not right. I have the exact same truck as you with the same mileage and tire size. I get 21 consistently with a heavy ARB bumper up front.

Have you checked your speedometer/odometer to see if it's in sync with your tire size? Mine is off by roughly 10%.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:02 PM

I have not checked for codes, I only see that the check engine light is not on, I'll check that today, I have my own scanner.

What I did noticed is that there is an exhaust leak right were the oxygen sensor is, it seems like the oxygen sensor flange is broken from the exhaust pipe, I tried taking it to a muffler shop to re-weld it, but apparently they did not fix it cause I still hear the noise.

As for the tire calibration, I have no idea, I've put 5 gallons of fuel in it this past Sunday and I'm already close to empty again an it has been about 40 miles since.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:06 PM

yeah defanilty something not right with that motor, have you tried a basica tune up? air filter, fuel filter, etc etc
Old 08-08-2012, 12:32 PM

No, I have not done anything to it but adjusted the timing slightly.

I already have the oil and filter for the oil change, but that's about it.

I'll need spark plugs
new oxygen sensor
air filter
new plug wires
distributor cap and rotor

to start with...
Old 08-08-2012, 01:08 PM

A rebuild sounds like its in order, with some aftermarket headers and exhaust, air intake should get you back to where you need to be.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:26 PM

I have a 89 ext 3.0 manual, ggot 8-9 mpg, then had the heads done, new head gasket, and new w/p and radiator, cap rotor, timing belt. And it jumped to 16-17 and I still haven't replaced the o2. Id suppose it would definetly need changing and ill do it when I get around to it. But a nice tune up would help greatly.
And id like to add that my 16/17 mpg is nothiing near skinny pedal haha! I let her open up every time I get on the highway
Old 08-09-2012, 09:31 AM

I was looking for the OBD port to check the codes, but apparently on a 91 there is no port?

I even took the lower panel bellow the steering wheel and I could not find it. Is there any on this model? mine's a 91.

I also took the #6 spark plug off to see if it had any flame signs or something else, but it's clean, they don't look that new, but they are clean, I took some more off and they all looked the same.

Even the engine intake looks clean, no severe signs of black gunk.

As for the tube going to the intake, mine has like a "Y" shape just coming off the air cleaner. This Y connection one goes to the round air cleaner tank and the other to another thank that's attached to the air cleaner tank, I imagine is for the emissions thing.

Anyway, I don't think I can use a 45° 3" pipe there, there are too many hoses connected to it. Unless some knows what to do on this case.

I think my main concern is the exhaust leak of the oxygen sensor, I'll try to fix that today and see if it improves a bit.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:58 AM
RBX

Thats because OBD1 did not have ports(actually i think some manufacturers did, but not the Toyota Trucks/4Runners)
OBD2 has a port.
If you are looking for a way to pull codes, you will need to jumper the diagnostic pins, do a search, there is plenty of info on this site.
get started here, doesn't matter that this is a 4cyl.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector

Quick Reply: 3.slow, really, that slow?