Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0 still hard to start?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 still hard to start?!

88 4runner 3.0 stick.

Hey I recently experienced a problem when starting. It would just crank and crank for 5 or so seconds, then fire and run great. Sometimes it would start right away. Sometimes it would crank then stutter then start. I smelled fuel and found that my pressure "thing" on the end of the fuel rail was leaking so I removed the plenum and replaced it and the pcv valve while I was there. I installed a new plenum gasket and put it all togeather.

Well its still having the same problems starting. I jumpered the fuel system so the pump will run with the ignition in the on position, and it runs and "seems" to be healthy. I replaced the fuel filter last night. I was thinking it was fuel related but when I run the fuel pump for a few seconds before starting, it will still have the problem (though I think I MAY be experiencing it less)

If I had an air leak somewhere in the intake sytem then running the FP before starting should fix that?.?

Basically before I do the fuel pump, or tear the plenum off again to check the plenum gasket can someone give me there take. BC I have good evidence that it probably isnt either. I wanted to get your take. I havent done anything with the electrical. It cranks healthy and runs perfect, and idles good MOST of the time.

Can I check for intake leaks?

Sorry for the long post but Im kinda stumped and before I go too deep into this job I want to be sure.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

spray carb cleaner all arund the intake and throttle body, if it idles up like crazy...VOILA. Intake leak.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
check your cold start injector....
Old 10-03-2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
spray carb cleaner all arund the intake and throttle body, if it idles up like crazy...VOILA. Intake leak.
good idea.... just tryed it and everything seems to be normal. just for fun I squirted some into the intake and the truck chugged rather than reved.

I didnt check the cold start injector bc I dont have a volt meter right now, and the truck is still hot, but I dont think thats the case bc it still does it when the truck is hot. But maybe im missing something.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think the cold start injector lights off everytime but I could be wrong.

Id make sure that its getting pressure, electrical power, and that it will spray nicely.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:59 PM

Pull out the cold start injector with it still hooked up to the fuel, but not the electrical plug. Turn your truck on, dont start it, and jump the fuel pump to make it run. See if the cold start injector sprays out, sometimes they will get stuck open and spray non stop.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by jasond
Pull out the cold start injector with it still hooked up to the fuel, but not the electrical plug. Turn your truck on, dont start it, and jump the fuel pump to make it run. See if the cold start injector sprays out, sometimes they will get stuck open and spray non stop.
ill try that tomorrow, but the only thing i can think of that that would cause is a flooding, but I guess it would also cause a loss of fuel pressure. but I jumpered the FP and sometimes I "prime" the sytem for a few seconds and it doesnt seem to matter. Plus I dont seem to be running rich. But I will look at it. Im open to anything. Ive owned 3 3.0's over 5yrs and probably 100-150k mi and this is the first time I have had to work to on them, so im learning