86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2nd gen pickups build specs and pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen pickups build specs and pictures

I just picked up a one owner 84 extended cab. I wanted to start a thread that would help guys like me (yota noobs) to see what experienced builders has done to their beloved trucks. Basicaly a visual of how our truck would look after your suspion mods etc have been done.
Please include:
-year
-suspension details
-wheel size/ brand (including backspace)
-tire size and brand
-pics
Any helpful tips that could save a new guy time and money

The goal is to have a one stop place to give a beginner an idea (starting direction) with our build. I know that suspension info with wheel and tire pics info would be great to scroll through. Thanks in advance everyone. Please post up your projects. HELP A NOOB!

Last edited by bananaclip; 03-04-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
welcome to YT. there are already a handful of threads here on YT that cover this concept already. "pic thread" is likely the best place to look (in the 84-85 and 86-94 sections), unfortunately not everyone posts before/after pics and/or includes specs on their rig.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:37 AM

Thank you for the welcome! I thought this type of thread would be helpful. I have been chasing my new to me 84 for the past 7 years. The guy called me and came off of it last evening! First yota truck......... I'm pretty excited. Just left the dmv and now have my tags and new title being processed.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome, loads of build threads and pic threads. Nice concept but searching is not frequently used by noobs. An example is the multiple sticky (top threads on forums) cover tire sizes, gears, lockers, and so on; but still a frequently asked question on these topics.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:15 AM

Did a few searches guys. Nothing specific for 2nd gen trucks with this type of helpful info included.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
yeah, best would likely be to look at build threads for individual trucks since typically they follow the development over the years. also i've found google images and site-specific searches to be a huge help finding specific things - for example find pic of the truck you're interested in, then google the username with image and site-specific searches. usually they end up being on just a handful of forums: yotatech, pirate4x4, ttora, expeditionportal, etc. i'm not as savvy with internet as some of the younger users, but that's my technique
Old 03-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would suggest going thru some build threads and seeing what you like. As far as tires, once you get so big, you start getting into gears and lifts. Which direction are you wanting to go with your project? Come up with a plan and read several Build Threads and that can save you alot of time and money. Since you have an 84, that is a carbed truck and I would suggest going with a Webber Carburator. Makes things alot easier under the hood in my opinion. I just swapped a head gasket on the the same motor as yours and the Webber has alot less issues. Welcome to Yotatech.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-04-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:59 AM

I know I'm a nOOb to the toyotas but I have been building jeeps for many years. I already have a base plan but just thought a thread like this could be useful since it doesn't exist on the board. This nOOb did search. I plan on eventually going with a 3.4 conversion but for now desmog my little 22r with the manual weber conversion and a holly pressure regulator. I live in Wv and we don't have tons of awesome rock but we do have tons of awesome trails. First phase 33's or 35's with an axle re gear and some marlin goodies for the tranny and t case. I literally just purchased the rig so I want to go through it and make sure everything is ready/ solid before I move on. Suspension is where I'm in the air. I am tossing around the ruf/ Chevy combo with a high steer/ifs set up. I'm doing my research and am learning new things all the time about these cool little trucks. I say let's post up some pics and list set ups for the second gen. If that is to much moderators please delete this meaningless ramble.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:19 PM

Wow, this has gone way away from simple welcome to "I'm runnin stuff." I can think of half dozen build threads that cover this topic. Much less a whole build section on SASing an IFS rig to building up an SFA rig. As a matter of fact Dropzone has an awesome build thread plus he has a sticky with tons of information covering mind to wild.

If you contemplated RUF then surely you've noted the down side of doing so the the way to solve them.

I say go over to pirate and try this shenanigan.

Or another option is go start your own forum on Toyota's. Then you can be the biggest boss n00b of your dreams.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:42 PM

I don't get where I'm acting like a boss. I have some off-road background but not with yotas. I joined this board to learn. I have been doing some research and have been learning from other's builds. I thought I was putting out a worthwhile thread and you automatically pulled the worn out search button response. Now because I explain my background and intentions you jump the gun again with your last comment. Wow..... Also I don't need to research the sas builds, my truck came with a solid front. I was referring to the ifs steering box with the high steer conversion. I would like to thank everyone else on the board for the welcome and good advise.

Last edited by bananaclip; 03-04-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:14 PM

Wow, one of those guys.

Your not the only guy on here who has had other rigs. I personally owned an awesome '81 CJ7 with the 304. I've had Fords, which didn't tolerate any offroading.

You put a friend on blast who is trying to help you out. And he has personal experience with the same style rig as yours and has done an sweet build over the years. You could stand to learn loads from his build thread and the vast amount of info he has posted to help guys and gals out on this forum.

But you come on here asking every body to answer your build specifications saying search doesn't work. Seriously. Your talking about a 30+ year old truck that has a long history of being a favorite of the off roading community with a strong aftermarket part availability that is capable of being built from mild to wild. But somehow poor you has a worn out search button. You've been on this board for less than a week and have already seen and searched it all. Keep trying guy.

Hey but nice score on the truck.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:22 PM

Did I say anything about being the only guy to build other rigs? No.
Did I say that the search didn't work? No
Did I intend on this thread turning into a pissing match with a guy who looks like a fag on his bicycle? No

I searched with nothing even similar coming up. I know that these trucks are amazing little trail rigs and that is why I purchased one. I never claimed to be a professional or even knowledgable about the truck. I stated that I have been researching and wanted to see what others have done and their results.

I am done with this conversation and its unfortunate that someone with 3,000+ post on an awesome forum can be like you.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:44 PM

Wow, kinda funny.
Yeah, you made a thing about owning other rigs.
Yeah, you went on about search not returning your desired results.

You say your done with this but I bet you read it anyway.

Why you eyeballing me in my biking shorts??? It's ok, we welcome all types. If you search web you can find me in biking tights and skin tight shirt doing a competition in the snow. That'll keep ya up at night!!!

I hope today you were just having a bad day and took it out here on YT. Think you can learn a lot here. Just need to work on your approach and tact.

Still thinking about me in biking shorts aren't you....