Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22R Alternator, DIY or Shop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
well since we're back on topic

lol, when I did my rebuild, I purchased one on-line from a business that primarily sells on eBay. A budy of mine put one of their alternators in his Mustang, and it worked out great for him, and still is!

I got a 130amp alt for my 22re, and at idle with the AC on, head lights, 6" aux lights, and the 1000 watt stereo blaring, she puts out 14.3 volts

And the reason behind the upgrade is because a bump with winch and more lights is in the near future
Wow, I wish that my engine was even remotely that clean. I think my alt is now the cleanest thing in there, and it won't be long before it's guck-covered too.

How many aux lights are you running? I'm hoping that I can add 2 fogs and 2 floods as well as an electric hydraulic pump with just the stock 60A. I don't have A/C and am only putting in a cheap stereo so I can listen to the radio so I won't have massive draw coming from there. Then again, if I can find a hydraulic pump that will mount where the A/C compressor normally goes and run it off the second pulley on my crank, I might go the non-electric route there, it'd be capable of pumping more volume as a result and that would be great for moving around some of my heavier equipment instead of just the small stuff.

Oh god, now I'm getting crazy ideas about dropping in a dually rear axle, hooking up a rear power take-off, putting on fluid-filled mud tires and using my truck like a tractor. I think I need to reconsider some of what I want to do to my truck before it goes to my head. Imagine, a wee-little shortbed yota towing a loaded hay wagon, I wonder if it's possible.