86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st Gen 4Runner Tonneau

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen 4Runner Tonneau

In the wake of having increasingly fewer options for a soft top on my 4Runner I decided to take matters into my own hands. I went and had a chat with a local upholsterer about making a tonneau cover. I am planning on starting this venture week after next when I take the hard top off.

I was just curious if anyone else would be interested in this. I am sure it would be easy to duplicate once we get the templates made.

The back half will be like a very standard truck tonneau and then the front half will either velcro or snap down so that it can be peeled back. The izenglass that forms the back of the cab will be brought down on an angle to match the angle of the back tubes of the roll bar.

I plan to run with the seats down unless I have someone in the back and then I just peel the front portion back.

Like I said I am wondering if anyone else likes the idea. Also if you can point out some obvious flaws or suggestions, that would be helpful as well.
-Shoe
Old 04-01-2007, 04:38 AM
Contributing Member

take a look at 4hummers set up, his was precipitated by an off road excursion gone very wrong.

lee

Last edited by leebee; 04-17-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:36 AM

yeah, that's pretty much the idea. The look on the back of the cab is what I was going for, but I will have to replicate the angle using canvas and izenglass. Of course the roll hoop will be protruding through as well.
-Shoe
Old 04-01-2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by ShoeRunner
In the wake of having increasingly fewer options for a soft top on my 4Runner I decided to take matters into my own hands.
-Shoe
I was in the same situation about 10 yrs ago. I looked around & didn't really want to pay the $800 + US (I'm in Canada) for a soft top so I had a custom top made. Nothing fancy, I did want something different from the square back of the hard top. We used the roll bar for the only support & made a frame to go around the outside. The frame bolts to the origional bolt holes for the hard top & snaps pop rivit to the tailgate. If you cant get the picture from my avatar check out another pic in the intro section ("Hi from the East Coast of Canada"). I've had the top for about 10 yrs & just had the windows replaced this spring. I am considering making copies to sell so let me know what you think. I'm also thinking about a bikini top & cargo area cover that would use the same frame (easy switch from one to the other). Another idea (upgrade) that I'm probably going to get is to have zippers put into the sides so that I can remove the entire side back to the roll bar.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a guy on 4x4wire (classifieds) that's setting up to do a top in the neighborhood of $450 USD - might be worth checking out.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
something like this?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:16 AM

No More like this;

Resized!!

Last edited by Topless4runner; 04-03-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

I would like something that covers the rear cargo area with the seats up, but still allows for the use of a bikini top. That would do wonders for keeping rain out, and be very cost effective
Old 04-03-2007, 10:21 AM

Runnerx3,
that is the idea, with a few modifications. One the 4runner is of course straight backed so I am hoping to fabricate the back cab angle with canvas. Also I am planning to use a bead method on the back for a clean look and to show the two distinct portions of the vehicle. That way the front can be peeled back for rear passengers. This design will act like a tonneau(like the above Bronco, so it is a strict two seater when all buttoned up. I intend it only for summer use as I plan to put the hard top back on for winter(more for weight than anything).
Old 04-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

The Can-Back is back in production for 1st Gen 4Runners:
http://www.can-back.com/
Old 04-17-2007, 08:52 AM

Update: The top came off on Sunday and it is awesome. I suddenly feel justified for owning this truck. The top is now taking up residence at my in-laws. I drove home on a beautiful Wisconsin spring evening to find that with the windows up and the heater on it was not so bad in the cab.

Monday morning involed a trip to the nearby upholstery shop. This was after showing up to work amidst many thumbs up from road goers and co-workers at the Toyota Dealership where I work. Most didn't get why I wanted a 1st gen, but I think it makes perfect sense to them now.

Today is my day off and was supposed to involve a trip back to said uphosltrey shop. Apparently though, UPS has no love for us today as the shop does not yet have the channel to get started(one day behind schedule already).

Luckily I have the use of my in-laws 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon (oh yeah, she's got the fake wood). Anyone that wants to know what it feels to navigate a barge through a narrow channel should take one of these for a spin. You don't tell this car where to go, you make suggestions.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:33 PM

It'd keep the rain out, but I really detest the way those things look on Broncos and Blazers, and would never put one on my Runner. It's up to you, though, and do keep us posted on your progress.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:42 PM

custom bikini/tonneau 1st gen

hey guys,

check my "custom" top for a 1st gen... not sure what i've got into it... maybe $300 tops.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...v&x=0&y=gf30x0

thats sunbrella, bought from a boat canvas shop, they did all the sewing for me really reasonably.

no holes drilled, installed two rails in the stock bolt holes to mount all hardware. some "L" angle aluminum from home depot to mount the frame against the cab. support frame is electrical conduit. really cheap and sturdy enough. the next version i'll use a pipe bender instead of an eyeball and a vise. not perfectly symmetrical.

side windows are boat canvas shop custom made. i did all the snap work. i found the side windows werent rigid enough initially and flapped and flew off first time i went over 50mph. so i used some metal door threshold material, 1" x maybe 1/16" thick and ran it around the windows to stiffen it up. worked great. no flutter and stays put. when it rains i snap on the side windows. otherwise leave it open. i've got a rear window but dont really need it because of the bikini exending back over the tonneau. stiffened up the tonneau with some hardwood slats installed same as a normal tonneau crosswise across the bed. sheds water pretty well.

the seal where the stock rollbar goes down through the tonneau is the only big problem. water leaked right through. ended up using roof flashing to make little skirts tight around the bar, supported the sunbrella, and shed water OK. still some leaks, but this design could definitely be a good starting point for a DIY project. can post better pics of my custom hardware..

cheers.
-taurin

Last edited by TMoney; 04-19-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:53 PM

I went by the upholstery shop for lunch today to check on the progress. It didn't look like much yet, but they are actually pretty far along and things are progressing nicely. I tried to make it very clear that I was not being impatient, I am merely excited. I am actually fairly calm with it because I can see this shop is very creative and they are excited to do the work.

So the design has changed a bit, but they have changed it to even better perform the way I wanted. They fashioned a collar that has a rubber gasket and zipper that is fitted to the back of the "cab" and is attached via the factory bolt holes. There are two areas that will need a little more fastening, but I didn't get to see how they are doing that yet.

I also got to see the window, it is set in the vinyl and it looks awesome. The seams look very heavy duty and they have even sewn in a lip that looks like it will work to divert rain around the glass. This will be trimmed to fit and it is being set in at an angle that will match the rear bar of the roll hoop. This may sound like a minor detail, but I think it is what will make this work esthetically (I have a vision, I promise).

The change is to run the channel all of the way up the rails rather than having the front section fastened separately. The top is now going to be in two pieces so that the front section will zipper apart and then be drawn forward to expose the rear seats. This way there are no snaps and very little Velcro. There will also not be a connection needed between the cover top and the back window (should be better for keeping out water).

I am just realizing now that I should have taken my camera with me. Oh well, there is not a whole lot to look at just yet. Should be soon though.
-Shoe
Old 04-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Actually, I REALLY like the idea you posted up 4runnerx3. Got any more info on that? Got my seats and rollbar off at the moment and wouldn't mind gettin somethin like that...
Old 04-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TMoney
hey guys,

check my "custom" top for a 1st gen... not sure what i've got into it... maybe $300 tops.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...v&x=0&y=gf30x0

thats sunbrella, bought from a boat canvas shop, they did all the sewing for me really reasonably.

no holes drilled, installed two rails in the stock bolt holes to mount all hardware. some "L" angle aluminum from home depot to mount the frame against the cab. support frame is electrical conduit. really cheap and sturdy enough. the next version i'll use a pipe bender instead of an eyeball and a vise. not perfectly symmetrical.

side windows are boat canvas shop custom made. i did all the snap work. i found the side windows werent rigid enough initially and flapped and flew off first time i went over 50mph. so i used some metal door threshold material, 1" x maybe 1/16" thick and ran it around the windows to stiffen it up. worked great. no flutter and stays put. when it rains i snap on the side windows. otherwise leave it open. i've got a rear window but dont really need it because of the bikini exending back over the tonneau. stiffened up the tonneau with some hardwood slats installed same as a normal tonneau crosswise across the bed. sheds water pretty well.

the seal where the stock rollbar goes down through the tonneau is the only big problem. water leaked right through. ended up using roof flashing to make little skirts tight around the bar, supported the sunbrella, and shed water OK. still some leaks, but this design could definitely be a good starting point for a DIY project. can post better pics of my custom hardware..

cheers.
-taurin
That is absolutley the design I want. I definatley need to look into this. If you perfect it anymore, I know I'd buy one from you, or if you did a write up on it I'd look into making it. Excellent work
Old 04-19-2007, 04:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 86Original
The Can-Back is back in production for 1st Gen 4Runners:
http://www.can-back.com/
This is a very practical option if you run with a roof rack....and lotsa cash. Yikes!

There's a fellow living in the neighboring town to me with one of these on his Taco. One day I swung by to have a look and ask his permission for some detailed pics. (Which I can post, if anyone would like). Oddly, his name was also Matthew and was very agreeable. This is what I intend to replicate with a few minor changes....only because it doesn't suit all my purposes to a T. Just ya'll wait.

The other thing (and I've mentioned this in some other thread) is that I plan on making the runner function much like the Chevy Avalanche. I pulled my rear bench seat out and plan on using some of the hardware from it to fashion a folding back wall with a sliding window that closes up to a fitted frame fabricated into the frame for the said soft top.

Ungh! I wish I had nothing else to do at this point than be a shop bumb until my idea has been made manifest. I'd probably come out looking like Ted Kasinski....but with a big grin 'cross my face.

BTW, I have seen posts in other threads (Swampthing, you've done this) where some have drawn diagrams out for the viewing. Could someone direct me how to do this? A PM would be grand.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:53 PM

I am glad this is sparking so many varied ideas. It is clear to see how we all use our 4Runners differently. I think you all will like this when you can see the finished product, like I said I just have a good feeling. Also it seems the shop has done the hard part on mine. After mine is done they will have the patterns and it should be fairly easy to replicate. They have some very good solutions for the traditional problems of cab mounting and going around the roll hoops. It seems that this should all mount with the factory holes as well.

I apologize if I am getting a little proud of this design, but I am getting really excited about it. I think it will work well for those that have similar goals.

TMoney, I really like your design and the rack. More than what I need, but a very cool setup.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:20 AM

Any updates on the progress?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:20 PM

I called today and they said that they should have her all put back together and ready to go tomorrow! I have had something else to drive and a job done well is more important to me than fast, so I think it is going well.

So I hopefully will have pictures tomorrow night.

Quick Reply: 1st Gen 4Runner Tonneau