Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1988 Buildup w/ Pics!! SAS'd, Bobbed and more to come!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 03:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet looking truck!!! I'm enjoying the read a lot. Keep it coming . Sorry to see the red go though, I liked it
Old 01-16-2009, 07:48 AM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nice rig, i really like that white look,
also is that a marlin front bumper
Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 AM

I'm kinda sorry to see the red go to... its like a different truck everytime I see it. I know how women feel when they dye their hair now. It's not my baby any longer.

Yea it is the Marlin front bumper... has the optional stinger on it. I love it.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how long did the rattle can job take?.......did you say you used primer or did you just rough it up and go?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looks great. what color/brand is the paint? i really like it
Old 01-17-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kwitcherbeliakin
Why not? I take it your against it?

I've heard arguments both ways... but on road its hardly ever in 4 unless in snow... which is rare in AZ. I figure its cheaper and I just unlock the hubs and no problem. Right? or is there something I'm missing?
id put a lunchbox locker in there i'm about to do one in my front. sounds a lot better than a spool but i honestly dont know
Old 01-17-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by 89whitetoyota
how long did the rattle can job take?.......did you say you used primer or did you just rough it up and go?
Here is how long it took me... but I made a few mistakes and learned as I went. One of my neighbors used to build custom cars and do custom mechanical and body work so he came by and helped me learn to paint. Alot of the tips in here come from things he showed me. Great guy!

DAY ONE: I removed the bed the first day and then sanded everything down and powerwashed it at the end. That took most of the first day just prepping all the surfaces and such. I removed the bed paneling and tailgate before sanding as well.

DAY TWO: The second day I taped everything off... windows, etc... now I would have removed every panel I could have... doors... fenders... hood... etc... because that would be easier and quicker.

I used a tarp on the ground and painted all the parts I removed on it (later day). I painted both sides. The day was gorgeous and there was no wind... painting in the wind is not a good idea. Wait for a nice day to paint or see if you can do it indoors... if my garage were more empty I would try... too much junk.

Before painting anything be sure to wipe down whatever areas you will be painting with a rag soaked in paint thinner. I did this after powerspraying and letting it dry so my rag didnt become the color of my paint. Let the paint thinner evaporate... won't take more than a few minutes and start to paint.

I painted the cab first that same day... or at least half of it before it started to get dark and cold. Don't paint when its cold either... makes the paint turn out like an orange peel. When using spray cans hold them about a foot away... maybe a little more... and make long strokes. Don't worry about coating it in one or two passes. Lots of thin coats will hold much better than a few thick ones and they will not run! If it runs... you have to let it dry completely... sand it smooth and start over.

USE LONG STROKES... don't go a foot or two to the left and then go back the other way. Go down three or four feet... whatever a comfortable LONG stroke is for you with the can and then left your finger off the nozzle for a second. Start moving the other direction and push it again. Always have the can in motion before you hit the nozzle... otherwise you'll end up with runs.

DAY THREE: Finished painting the cab area, roof, fenders, hood and doors. Untaped everything then. Remove the tape before the paint drys completely or else the paint with stick to the tape and come off in sheets with the tape!!! Very depressing... but luckely it didnt happen to me. Take a razor blade and go along the edges to separate the paint from the tape. Cut INSIDE away from the paint toward whatever you taped and you wont mess up your new paint. You may have to touchup a little with a small paintbrush around the edges of some places taped. Just spray a little paint into a bowl (be sure not to use your wife or mothers 'nice' bowls) and touch it up. Peel off all the tape and paper once you have cut around the edges!

DAY FOUR: Painted the bed and all the bed paneling, tailgate, etc... Let dry and put the bed back on the truck. I did some other things to my frame while I had the bed off too like welding a new rear crossmember in place of the thin one holding up the stock spare location.

So in all it took me about 4 days. I think now if I prepped everything on day one I could paint it all on day 2 and reassemble it all after letting it dry completely on day 3. Maybe reassemble on day 2 but that depends on your temp and elevation and how dry your paint is. I want to repaint this again sometime with the Duraliner Exterior paint. Its like bedliner but formulated as paint. Check out their website! Not cheap but everyone I know that has it swears by it!

Hmmm.... I can't think of anything else to put in! If you have any other questions be sure to ask. If I don't know I'll pick my neighbors brain and let you know.

I still have to remember the paint color! lol. I was just looking at more yesterday... but they only had the METALLIC and not the SATIN that I used so I didn't get it. Grr. It was Krylon paint and there is one called Pebble. It is a lighter tan than the pebble is and was always right next to it when I was looking.

Last edited by kwitcherbeliakin; 01-17-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 AM

MAF Sensor, Battery mounting and Stoeln materials!

I redid the intake completely again! I mounted the MAF Sensor to the sidewall and using PVC pipe made a fitting that I can rotate to use for a snorkle in the future. Right now it ponits back into the engine compartment where a large air filter is attached. Aside from the airfilter the intake is waterproof! Just prepping for when I do a snorkle!

Here is the underside of the fender showing the PVC:

Here is the top view showing the routing of the intake tube:

Then there is another problem I keep having! 4 wheeling is not the best on my stock battery mounting hardware! It keeps doing this to my battery! So its time I either fab some new hardware or break down and get an optima battery!

And most recently!!!! while I was out of town I came home to this... it made me laugh...

Of all the things on my truck to steel they took the cheapest things on it! My deck and the top of my gear shift?

So now I'll just finish cutting out that section of plastic and I'll fab a mount for a deck with a CB below it. They may have done me a favor because now I can't put it off as long!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what a lil bastard!

people suck these days..

i cant believe people would look in an old beat up truck (meant in the nicest way) for a stereo! 80% of the yotas out here in my neck of the woods dont even have stereos.. they usually have lawnmowers in the back.. but no decks..
Old 06-10-2009, 01:12 PM

still not the happiest about it but...

A friend actually heard about it and pulled a way nicer deck out of his closet that fits the same wiring harnesses I have in there already! So... minus the shifter I am ahead in this deal so far!

Thanks to the douschbag who stole it in the first place!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
People are such dicks. Im not sure where gilbert is but one of my friends lives in phoenix and his truck is always getting broken into. Even in broad daylight. By the way the truck looks freaking AWESOME. Im so jealous.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 PM

Thanks. I've heard theres only a few really nasty people in the whole world... they just get around a whole lot!

Yea I am by phoenix... it all depends on where you are in town. some areas no problem... while others... well - now I know.

Did you paint your truck yourself?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice build.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
NICE TRUCK MAN!!!!
Great work. Great color!
Man, I want to move to Arizona! So many nice yotas down there
Old 06-10-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Gizler00
People are such dicks. Im not sure where gilbert is but one of my friends lives in phoenix and his truck is always getting broken into. Even in broad daylight. By the way the truck looks freaking AWESOME. Im so jealous.

Oops, I uh, didn't read that. Maybe I will stay in No Hum.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:11 PM

lol. AZ is great to live in and since 2001 this is the first time I have been broken into and for the record, I wasn't anywhere near my house. I'd parked my truck somewhere for the weekend while I was out of town... not the best part of town apparently!

Don't let that stop you from comin on down! AZ is beautiful and there will be douschbags anywhere you go!

Originally Posted by toyospearo
Oops, I uh, didn't read that. Maybe I will stay in No Hum.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by toyospearo
Man, I want to move to Arizona! So many nice yotas down there
I agree with you there but my little IFS'd rig would get laughed at. Those guys in AZ wheel like the devil is riding the rear bumper and trying to crawl forward. They just keep going higher up the rocks hoping to get close enough to God to have him kick the devils ass off the rig.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kwitcherbeliakin
Thanks. I've heard theres only a few really nasty people in the whole world... they just get around a whole lot!

Yea I am by phoenix... it all depends on where you are in town. some areas no problem... while others... well - now I know.

Did you paint your truck yourself?
Yeah I painted the truck myself. I had to do a bit of body work to the bed before I could though. The wheel arches were really rough from the chrome trim rings on them. But I just used rustoleum high performance primer and top coated with krylon ultra flat olive drab camo. IT didnt turn out too bad. I wanted to do a more professional paint job, I have a nice devilbiss hvlp set, but I found out about halfway through doing the body work that I was losing access to the shop I was working /teaching at so I had to do a quick fix. Which ultimately turned out to be a rattle can job. But on a lighter note, I really like your truck. I am trying to set enough money aside to do a SAS of my own. I just threw a 3" BL on a few days ago just to get it in the air a little. BUt keep posting pics of that beautiful truck. Nice talking to you. Take care .
Mark
Old 06-10-2009, 02:58 PM

Sucks about losing access to the shop! My shop has always been my driveway... which the HOA doesnt like at times!

Nice job on the paint! This was my first try at painting. My second was a 4 Runner I just finished not to long ago: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e-soon-164404/

I want to get a paint gun one of these days but we will see! Until then rattle can jobs turn out just fine. Have a rockin week and get some wheelin in out there!
Old 06-28-2009, 07:16 PM

Arrow Box Canyon Run!

Here are few pics from a recent run up Box! No real problems and let me tell you - when you let someone else drive your rig and you are watching... its alot of fun to see what your rig does... but torture watching someone drive it! I'd of been in it but I was in the runner getting a feel for her. I definently like my truck a lot more!

Quick Reply: 1988 Buildup w/ Pics!! SAS'd, Bobbed and more to come!