YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 84-85 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Uthro69
White smoke at idle..

So if you have seen other threads i just had the carb redone and it runs good hesitant when cold but alot of motors are but at idle or low rpm theres white smoke coming outta my exhaust.. If its burning oil its burning it to where i hardly notice and i am pretty sure its not coolant, on the air cleaner theres the piece that connects to your valve cover i forget what its called but its there to recycle air im seeing oil around the area leaking slowly, can the pcv be fault and not relieving pressure causing it to suck oil into the intake?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

Pushbutton start, Diff Breathers, 94 4runner bucket swap, More to come as the wife allows.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

White Smoke= Coolant
Blue Smoke= Oil
Black Smoke= Too much fuel/Carbon

Thats what I like to go off when chasing smoke issues, makes it easy to start pinpointing problem areas. Best of Luck!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

mine does this when it's less than like 60 degrees out, brand new rebuild, goes away after motor is warmed up and a little bit of driving, might be perfectly normal and just condensation burning off from inside the intake plenum and carb. Does yours go away? The reason why it would do it more at idle than when on the throttle is because engine vacuum is the highest at idle or when on the throttle and rapidly close the throttle.

FYI a slight rich fuel mixture will also cause what looks like white but really gray smoke as well. Way over rich will produce black.

Build Thread
BMW Thread

87 P/U 4X 5sp Weber Downey Hdr 2.25 Exh EB 268

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 09-17-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

yea i think it may just be a tad rich causing the grey smoke i am 85% sure that its notcoolant

Pushbutton start, Diff Breathers, 94 4runner bucket swap, More to come as the wife allows.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r View Post
mine does this when it's less than like 60 degrees out, brand new rebuild, goes away after motor is warmed up and a little bit of driving, might be perfectly normal and just condensation burning off from inside the intake plenum and carb. Does yours go away? The reason why it would do it more at idle than when on the throttle is because engine vacuum is the highest at idle or when on the throttle and rapidly close the throttle.

FYI a slight rich fuel mixture will also cause what looks like white but really gray smoke as well. Way over rich will produce black.
Good call. I go off of those for general troubleshooting. Never thought about exhaust moisture as the possible problem!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to toyota4x4907
Heres how to tell the difference between burning coolant white smoke and condensation white smoke.
Burning coolant will linger in the air, its thicker looking and smells sweet and like anti-freeze.
Condensation will thin out, is a lighter looking white and will smell hot to nothing.
2000 Tundra Ex-cab| 2UZ-FE| 140K miles| SR5 TRD|2" front spacers|315/75R16 Cooper STTs with 1.25" wheel spacers| 2.5" exhaust| Custom armor | bobbed frame| custom flat bed| Dedicated off-roader in the works.
'95 4runner|22re|5spd|157K miles| 2" BL| 33x12.5 m/t |anti-sway bars removed f/r| Warn manual hubs| PaceSetter header| 2.25" exhaust| Custom front bumper, 4xInno sliders|Rebuilt engine| Sold
'88 4runner|22re|5spd|206K miles|Sold
'93 single cab|22re|5spd|150K miles|Sold
Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

so if its white (grey) and smells like gas ... lol?call that running rich aye?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to toyota4x4907
what have the temperatures been like at night?
Does it do it ALL The time when idling or just after starting up after sitting for 3+ hours?
2000 Tundra Ex-cab| 2UZ-FE| 140K miles| SR5 TRD|2" front spacers|315/75R16 Cooper STTs with 1.25" wheel spacers| 2.5" exhaust| Custom armor | bobbed frame| custom flat bed| Dedicated off-roader in the works.
'95 4runner|22re|5spd|157K miles| 2" BL| 33x12.5 m/t |anti-sway bars removed f/r| Warn manual hubs| PaceSetter header| 2.25" exhaust| Custom front bumper, 4xInno sliders|Rebuilt engine| Sold
'88 4runner|22re|5spd|206K miles|Sold
'93 single cab|22re|5spd|150K miles|Sold
Old 09-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

well i live in phoenix so static 100 degrees dry as all get up 99.98% of the time, side not i just replaced the pvc valve and put a new air filter in, be honest the white smoke is mainly idle but if im sitting at a light and i gas it or rev it up it spits out a cloud then it dissipates

Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthro69 View Post
well i live in phoenix so static 100 degrees dry as all get up 99.98% of the time, side not i just replaced the pvc valve and put a new air filter in, be honest the white smoke is mainly idle but if im sitting at a light and i gas it or rev it up it spits out a cloud then it dissipates
I'd say your a tad rich. I know that Arizona heat, very little moisture!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota4x4907 View Post
Heres how to tell the difference between burning coolant white smoke and condensation white smoke.
Burning coolant will linger in the air, its thicker looking and smells sweet and like anti-freeze.
Condensation will thin out, is a lighter looking white and will smell hot to nothing.
For sure. My 1994 p/u did that, spewed burning coolant after about 15mins, its not hard to miss! Doesnt sound like thats OP's issue.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
22re, 94, antifreeze, burning, coming, exhaust, gray, idling, idol, pick, pickup, smoke, smokes, toyota, white