84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be picking up the new stud at the end of the week. I will double check the part # and post back for anyone needing it.

Thanks again.
Steve
Old 10-11-2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Just an FYI...all the aftermarket wheel studs I have found for an 84-89 4Runner DO NOT fit properly as they are about 2mm too large in diameter, yet all the parts stores have the same stupid part and part #. I posted a thread about it. Even though they cost a LOT more, the dealership has the CORRECT wheel studs.

IMO you will not clear the new V6 calipers if they are the finned ones w/o some wheel spacers...so just be prepared. Nothing wrong w/ running the 1.5"-3" wheel spacers if installed properly. I did it for 2 years or more when my 85 was my dd.

my studs fit fine... went right in. im thinking the calipers will hit the wheel too, no biggie like i said im already planning on buying new wheels. its not a daily driver by any means and has been under construction for a while, im not really in a hurry at this point. im going to buy 15x10 street locks with 3.75 inch backspacing. im hoping that they will clear without a spacer. anybody know what kind of backspacing i will need to clear the calipers so i dont need spacers? i dont have the calipers, they arent here yet but, once i get them ill know a little more and ill post some pix.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Either TG/Marlin/All-Pro all make a good wheel spacer. See how much you are rubbing and go with what you need to clear it w/ some extra.

Torque the wheel spacers to 100 ft-lbs and use RED Loc-tite.

Yep, you'll want the front to match the front on a dd, on a trail rig only, don't matter, as a wider front is usually the norm.

thread revival time

so wabbit, are you advising not to only run spacers up front? even if there are no rubbing issues in the back? how bad would a wider front track act on a DD? im hearing opposing opinions on only running 2 (front) spacers. havent heard anyone say its a no-no to only run 2 up front...DD or not.

danke
Old 11-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Drama Queen/Banned

I posted asking about this last week. I still don't have a concrete answer as to what spacers I should buy to keep stock width and clear the calpiers and tie-rods on my 85 with IFS wheels. I'm sure someone has done this before.

BTW I don't ever plan on running more then a 30x9.50 for a tire.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:36 AM

Sorry about the delay in replying to this .. last week being the first week of deer season I didn't check the page. I put the spacers on the front and not the rear ... have been using this vehicle as a dd.... no real issues with handling .... however, if ya got the money it will look better if ya even it out.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:48 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I ran 15x8 black steelies w/ 3.75" back spacing on my 85 SFA and had NO rubbing...so the issue is the rim backspacing and tire package. Wheel spacers corrrect improper rim/backspacing.

On my 85 SFA I have an 86 rear axle which is 3" wider so running at least 1.5" wheel spacers makes the front = rear in width and I daily drove it like this a year and a half at least.

Now I have 2" wide wheel spacers per side to clearance the big IFS calipers that I put on w/ the brake upgrade (with vented rotors) so now the front is 1" wider than the front, but this is strictly a trail rig. Wider is the front is better and for overall stability.

If you want to use rims that are going to rub because of improper backspacing and tire size, then sure, use wheel spacers, but on a daily driver I'd want the front width to match the rear for tracking purposes.

On a trail rig, since most never go over 15 mph no need to bother.

There is also a BIG difference in wheel spacers that are simply that, spacers that you put on the hub over the existing wheel studs, and the wheel spacers that bolt/nut to your existing wheel studs and have new wheel studs in them that you use your existing lug nuts on. BIG difference...I'd NEVER use the first ones on my vehicle.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:37 PM

So me and my uncle were trying to put on wheels from an 86 4x4 on to my 85 and the problem we came across was the wheels scraping on the tie rod ends. We tried 1/4inch wheel spacers and that wasn't enough so we put two 1/4 wheels spacers and that worked but my uncle said that didn't leave enough thread for the lugnuts to be properly put on. So the idea we came up with was that we would heat up the tie rod ends and bend them in and then screw the rods in for the difference. Their are threads on the tie rod so we figured you can adjust it in our out and we measured enough threads on each side to cover the difference. So does anyone have any ideas on how this would work? or any other ideas?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:17 AM

i run the spidertrax ones and LOVE them Best $200 i have ever spent on the truck. 1.5 each side.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by halVORTEX
So me and my uncle were trying to put on wheels from an 86 4x4 on to my 85 and the problem we came across was the wheels scraping on the tie rod ends. We tried 1/4inch wheel spacers and that wasn't enough so we put two 1/4 wheels spacers and that worked but my uncle said that didn't leave enough thread for the lugnuts to be properly put on. So the idea we came up with was that we would heat up the tie rod ends and bend them in and then screw the rods in for the difference. Their are threads on the tie rod so we figured you can adjust it in our out and we measured enough threads on each side to cover the difference. So does anyone have any ideas on how this would work? or any other ideas?
Order up a set of adapters, 1" - 1-1/2" thick or so and bolt those to the existing studs then bolt the wheels to the new studs on the adapter.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:22 PM

Where do I get adaptors like those? and would I have to get them for the back too?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

One source:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/axles.htm

Back is up to you, but wide/tall tires are likely to rub on the frame w/ IFS wheels. Or put a wider rear axle on.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Banned

I have wheel spacers.
http://www.wabfab.org/products/wheel...eelspacers.htm

$79/set up to 1.5" wide

Old 12-29-2006, 07:43 PM

I have an 85 pickup and I'm putting aluminum wheels from an 86 on. What size wheel spacers do I need?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Measure the difference in backspacing and go from there. 1"-1.5" is ususally about right.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:15 PM

My studs are 1" long so does that mean I need the 1" spacers?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

You need them 1" or thicker. Why? Because the existing stud and lug nut must fit completely inside the spacer in order for the wheel to fit flush to the spacer (actually adapter).
Old 12-30-2006, 11:50 PM

How far do the nuts that tighten down the adaptor inset into the adaptor?
Old 12-31-2006, 06:28 AM
Banned

READ THIS: http://www.wabfab.org/technical/wheelspacerinstall.htm

The wheel spacers basically tighten to your wheel hub just like a rim, BUT the wheel spacers then have their own wheel studs that you then bolt the rim too just like normal. Look at the above link and see how they are installed.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:11 AM

Yeah I read that, but I can't find anywhere the inset of these things. Is it exactly enough for the nuts to be flush with the adaptor or what? Once I figure that out I know what size adaptor I can get for my 1inch studs.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

No need to worry, you will have PLENTY of room for the nuts to be more than flush as those are OEM wheel studs.

These are some 1.5" ones I had on mine before I went to 2". You can't even see the nuts that secure the spacers to the wheel hub.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers