84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Timing chain cover wear through coolent in oil help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain cover wear through coolent in oil help!

My friend has an 85 toyota 4runner with the 22r carb motor with over 200K on it he has coolent loss in system and oil is milky so that means head gasket or the timing chain guides have broken and the chain has worn through the cover and allowed the coolant contamination. My question is how can we tell if it is the quides and not the head gasket? Can we just pull the valve cover and if so what would be be looking for? For instance can you see the guide where it might break off at the top of the block or is there gonna be something noticable on the cover itself? Or do we have to pull the cover? Any help appreciated as I did a search and couldn't come up with pics or an answer on this. Would like to rule out the cover before messing with the head gasket. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
compression check should reveal a headgasket problem.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:33 PM

If check is negative for comp loss then would it be the chain cover?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just because the compression is low (if it is) doesnt mean its the head gasket, it could be a stuck/burnt valve, etc. A leak down test will be more helpful.
Drain the oil, take the valve cover off and look down the front of the engine where the T-chain is at. if you dont see the guides and/or see where the chain rubbed through..well then you know the rest. Also, look for other ways the coolant could get into the oil--cracked/warped block or head.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 PM

Ya thats what we are afraid of and why I wanted to know if you can see anything with the valve cover off. What exactly will I be seeing as far as what the chain might be grinding into is it the cover or the block?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM

It should be the timing cover, not the valve cover (the domed thingy you take off) Im not sure if they grind into the block, as I have never had this problem. Just look at the chain, if it is sort of just "floating" with nothing on either side, then I think its safe to assume the guides are gone. Of course, it should still be attached to the crank and cam on both ends. Also, I'm pretty sure its easy to see if the chain has in fact rubbed through.

edit: I think it typically grinds into the water pump housing, which I'm pretty sure is on the drivers side. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 01-28-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be able to see if the guides are broken. If they are in tact then the chain shouldn't be chewing on the cover.

Rob
Old 01-28-2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
It should be the timing cover, not the valve cover (the domed thingy you take off) Im not sure if they grind into the block, as I have never had this problem. Just look at the chain, if it is sort of just "floating" with nothing on either side, then I think its safe to assume the guides are gone. Of course, it should still be attached to the crank and cam on both ends. Also, I'm pretty sure its easy to see if the chain has in fact rubbed through.

edit: I think it typically grinds into the water pump housing, which I'm pretty sure is on the drivers side. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Ya I was refering to taking off the valve cover to look at the timing chain and perhaps to see the guides to be there or missing.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:37 PM

It takes me less than 5 minutes to pull a valve cover on a 22R, so I suggest just taking it off and taking a peak before wasting time asking about what your lookn for. You're questions might all be answered in 5 minutes. =)

Not being a dick, just seriously, it's not hard to take the cover off at all. I know, first time I took one off I wasn't sure what to expect, yearsss ago.

anyway, you can peer down with a flash light, maybe get a thin rod to move the chain around to get a better view but you'll be able to see, with a good eye if the guide(s) are there. And if the driver side guide is gone, even if for some reason you can't tell if its there or not ... you'll definetly see where the chain is hitting the cover wall, plain as day. It wont wear through at the top but you'll see the scrape marks..

Typically, milky oil = worn cover. Of course it can be through the HG but unlikely as the oil and coolant passages in the block to the head (through the HG) are not exactly near each other at all.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 AM

Anyone know about how much a timing cover should go for I understang a timing set should be about 100 dollars?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

I just got a great deal from engnbldr.com that had the timing set with a new oil pump, water pump and cover around $150-160. Ted is a reliable source that is well reviewed on here and elsewhere, check out his ebay auctions.
good luck!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:36 AM

i had the same problem with the timing chain on my 85 but my block and head were warped since the head gasket went too. I ended replacing the block and head since when you get water in your oil it creates a risk of your crank bearings rusting. Also decided to upgrade to a double timing chain with the metal guides.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Get take the vc off and get a flashlight and shine it down on the drivers side of the timing cover. you'll notice if has worn threw or not.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:32 PM

Thumbs up

just take a deep breth and undo the four nuts on the top really wont hurt anyting, I have the valve cover off and (HTG) you will learn alot after removing the valve cover. the valve gaskit and two half moons dont cost more than 30.00 from alco auto. just go for it... and learn along the way we at yota will always lend a helping hand
Old 01-31-2009, 07:43 PM

Either way, you're going to have to replace the head gasket anyway to properly change the timing cover. Good time ( 200K )to change the timing gears, guides, tensioner and front seal, etc. Watch out for cheap timing covers. They don't fit right.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:45 PM

you dont have to change the hg, either drop the pan or the the hg...
i dropped my pan and used a after market tc cover and it works fine.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:15 PM

You can also get away with not changing the pan gasket if you're careful and lucky when pulling out the T/Cover. Just use alot of RTV on the gasket when re-assembling. I don't think it's a lasting repair but it will do for a time maybe. I prefer to stick to TSM guidelines when doing critical repairs like he's attempting.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:35 PM

i dunno, i just used toyota rtv for the oil pan. the driveway is oil free haha.
man that was a pita thoe
Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 PM

PITA is right my friend.......
Old 01-31-2009, 08:42 PM

honestly, it was my first time doing a oil pan. holy crap
ive never had to do so much balancing, and moving around.
the rtv was everywhere, on my arms, face, neck.....

Quick Reply: Timing chain cover wear through coolent in oil help!