84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Suspension and Steering 101

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Suspension and Steering 101??

Hey gang, here's the scoop on my project/dd.

84 4x4 pickup with front locker (currently open rear, may spool or locker, can't decide...)

And here's what I plan to do:

33x10.50 super swamper TSL radial tires with zero suspension lift: stock springs until I break a leaf after which I will install longer springs with no lift. I have a thing for low ride height and low c of g.

For front tire clearance, I'll be moving the axle forwards an inch. The rears fenders I will trim as necessary. The question is, what do I do with the steering?
a) leave it alone, and simply recenter the steering wheel
b) shorten drag link and relocate anti wrap link
c) some sort of lowsteer/crossover steering
My concerns involve the draglink, and the existing annoying bumpsteer and wandering. I have a strong feeling that proper rod ends (like an FZJ80) will increase steering precision and reduce wandering. Also, a longer draglink should reduce bump steer. Shortening an already short drag link doesn't seem like a good idea.

I understand that a regular high steer crossover setup won't fit without lift springs, which I am unwilling to install. This thing is a daily driver, and I haul stuff, and don't want any additional bed height, amongst other things. Putting bigger tires on will already increase the overall vehicle height more than I'd like. If anything, I would consider an OME spring set, which has minimal lift. But that doesn't answer my steering questions.

So, what do I do? Is there a low-steer kit? Can I make my own? Anyone have pictures of a low-crossover steering? I've worked on a few LX450 land cruisers, and the low-crossover steering has a lot less wander than my ancient pickup. However, that steering setup doesn't look compatible with leafs

Help?!?!???

Last edited by 86tuning; 04-03-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:23 PM

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you're going to have trouble with 33 inch tires and stock suspension...even if you move your front axle forward 1 inch. I don't like the performance of my 4Runner with stock 4.10 gears and 31 inch tires. I plan on regearing to 4.56 and wouldn't go larger than 31's unless I regeared, especially if it's a DD. If I wanted to run 33's then I would go to 4.88.

Anyway, can't help much with your steering question. You will find hysteer difficult if not impossible to effect without 2 or 3 inches of lift.

Good luck with it.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Number one the stock springs suck and with 33's you will have no power with out re gearing. I am going to put on a rear sway bar on my Runner. What I have done to my runner it rides great, but at 70 or 80MPH on the freway I need the rear saw bar to feel comtrable.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Moving your axle forward with mean a shorter drag link, not a longer one. You still need about 3" of lift to run low crossover steering, at least if you have the drag link over the springs.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ng/index.shtml

How about putting on some rear springs up front (gives you 2" forward axle position) and great flex and then crossover steering:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_suspension-III.shtml

Only other option might be to do a Jeep style tie rod where the drag link connects to the tie rod below the springs. Have seen one or two of those over the years.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 04-04-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wardamneagle
I think you're going to have trouble with 33 inch tires and stock suspension...even if you move your front axle forward 1 inch. I don't like the performance of my 4Runner with stock 4.10 gears and 31 inch tires. I plan on regearing to 4.56 and wouldn't go larger than 31's unless I regeared, especially if it's a DD. If I wanted to run 33's then I would go to 4.88.

Anyway, can't help much with your steering question. You will find hysteer difficult if not impossible to effect without 2 or 3 inches of lift.

Good luck with it.
I'm not concerned with gearing yet, just steering geometry. Gears are easy, I've done plenty of those.

I realize that moving the axle forwards requires a shortened drag link, but I'm concerned with increasing the bumpsteer.

I like the steering feel of the last SAS Land Cruiser available in Canada, the Lexus LX450. Quite precise compared to my vague steering. Also, very little bump steer when compared to my stock 84 steering.

RUF springs are definately a consideration, but the issue is ride height and centre of gravity. I use the pickup to haul stuff around, and the extra bed height is NOT going to be welcome at all. The extra 2" bed height from larger tires is already not welcome, nevermind the extra from a lifted suspension. I don't think I can handle 6" higher bed height and c of g.

Thanks for all the tips so far.

Jeep style steering? I dunno... and will the draglink clear at all? From what I can see, the draglink is gonna interfere with the left spring either on compression (if it runs above the spring) or on extension (if it runs below the spring).

Having a custom p/s low-steer arm made up won't be that big a deal. But what about the driver's side?

3/4 linking the front is out of the question. Ditto radius rods. What do I do? Notch/modify the left frame rail and run the steering box up higher? Invert a drop pitman arm?
Old 04-05-2008, 10:59 PM

Or am I missing something here? Can I fit crossover steering without a lift?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 86tuning
Or am I missing something here? Can I fit crossover steering without a lift?
Generally not unless you notch your frame to leave room for the draglink to "cross over" between the frame and springs. I ran about 3"-3.5" lift with low crossover steering on my '85 and it took a fair amount of fine tuning to keep the draglink off the passenger side spring at full droop and off the frame at full compression. Also had issues with the pitman arm rubbing on the driver's side spring at full compression.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:09 PM

Hey Roger,

Do you have any pictures of the passenger arms on your low crossover steering? I see the picture of the setup on the floor on your site, but not with it installed

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member