84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Smog Problem in California

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Smog Problem in California

I can't get my 22r to pass CA smog. The EGR is good, and the only thing the dude told me is that there is a "fuel control problem". I have little knowledge about all the smog equipment, but have checked all that I can using the FSM.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Go to the Marlin Crawler forums and look in the engine drivetrain forum, there is a thread at the top of the page with lots of information on how to pass smog.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:28 AM

thanks for the info. I read most of those pages in the forum, but coldn't find an answer. I have a really high CO reading, but the HC reading is low. Any ideas?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 PM

Ok, im just throwing out some ideas here, Is the cat an your truck the original one ?, if it is then replace it, instead of setting the timming at 5 degrees set it at about 2.5 degrees, get a can of sea foam and run it through the engine, it will remove built up carbon in the engine, make sure the float level in the carb isn`t set to high and make sure the idle is set properly. Another thing to check is the vacuum advance on the distributor, the diaphragms can go bad and you will lose the vacuum advance and that can cause performance issues. When was the last time the timming chain was replaced ?.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by myyota
Ok, im just throwing out some ideas here, Is the cat an your truck the original one ?, if it is then replace it, instead of setting the timming at 5 degrees set it at about 2.5 degrees
California smog checks require the motor to be properly tuned as well and WILL fail you if the timing is incorrect.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
California smog checks require the motor to be properly tuned as well and WILL fail you if the timing is incorrect.
That is true to a point, i believe stock timming is 5* BTDC, but if you have it set a couple of degrees less most places don`t care, but if its more than 5* BTDC then they are sure to fail you for it.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the smog technician tell you anything aside fom fuel control problem? My last smog tech openly told me it was a faulty spark controller. A little research pointed out that the SC was in the distributor and so on... never fixed it though.

Fuel control sounds more like the carburetor to me... is the idle mixture correct? Maybe there's a problem with the choke causing an over-rich mixture. The catalytic converter just reduced whatever is exhausting from the combustion chambers and does not strike me as a relation to a fuel control problem.

You should have received a smog inspection results sheet, which contains how your truck did on the sniffer and the visual inspection. The visual inspection includes a confirmation of all original emissions equipment AND if they're working or not. Did he mark any components as being non functional and/or missing?
Old 09-02-2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
Did the smog technician tell you anything aside fom fuel control problem? My last smog tech openly told me it was a faulty spark controller. A little research pointed out that the SC was in the distributor and so on... never fixed it though.

Fuel control sounds more like the carburetor to me... is the idle mixture correct? Maybe there's a problem with the choke causing an over-rich mixture. The catalytic converter just reduced whatever is exhausting from the combustion chambers and does not strike me as a relation to a fuel control problem.

You should have received a smog inspection results sheet, which contains how your truck did on the sniffer and the visual inspection. The visual inspection includes a confirmation of all original emissions equipment AND if they're working or not. Did he mark any components as being non functional and/or missing?
all the tech said was there is a fuel problem. which is very vague. I was thinking that it might be the carb.

I was reading the smog sheet and the CO reading was off the chart on the 2500 RPM test, and passed when at idle.
I will check carb, and idle mixture.
Thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 PM

if its fine at idle but not at 2500 and everything else checks out you may just need to get your carb tuned. Could be one of the jets.