84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Second row seatbelt attempts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Second row seatbelt attempts...

I am new here and hope the community can help me. I recently purchased a 1985 4Runner and am interested in putting in shoulder/waist seat belts in the second row seating. I am aware that this can be done by using the rollbar as there are I guess screw holes on both sides (I think at this time my vehicle has rubber coverings over these).

My questions are:

1. What do you use for the shoulder/waist seat belt, meaning which vehicle specifically can I acquire them from?
3. How do you attach it to the roll bar?
4. How do you secure the waist portion as you obviously cannot use the one in the car and the newly added shoulder as it would mean two male parts of the seat belt.
5. Anything else I am missing?

I need these for better use of child seats and ultimately boosters. This is not going to be a daily vehicle but if I want to do some off-roading, one or more of my kids might want to go sometime.

Thank you in advance for your help,

TBC
Old 11-13-2016, 08:03 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Seat belts are pretty universal. Several online retailers sells them as well as brick and mortar stores. It's pretty much unbolting what you have and bolting in the new belts. If you use Google to search for it and put in yotatech in the search as well you should get lots of results

try putting this in google
85 4runner seatbelt.retrofit. yotatech.com
Old 11-13-2016, 06:23 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
On the roll bar there's a plastic or rubber plug. Remove that and you will see it's threaded to accept shoulder belts. I think in Canada they were actually equipped with shoulder belts. I used front seat shoulder belts from a 1992 Toyota pickup. Get the bolt and the female receiver part too. I have a couple of pictures on my thread, post 9 and 10. The link is in my signature. You should be able to get a set of belts from eBay. You can use shoulder belts from 1984 to 1994 pickups, the front belts, as well as many other shoulder belts.

Last edited by Nervo19; 11-13-2016 at 06:25 PM.