84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Project Cream Dream + The Crush = Colorado fun!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get that thing out of the middle of the road! Someones going to total their camry running over that thing!

Very nice!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:18 PM

Update. Got the spring hanger all mounted up today with the new 6 lear fromt leaf pack. Also, trimmed and "clearanced" the front fenders via a BFH and an angle grinder. I don't forsee any clearance issues.

The shackle angle came out a little steeper than I wanted, but I think I can live with it.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:01 AM

OK, some more (minor) updates. I had to pull the tranny again because I am an impatient idiot and tried to run a new clutch on an old flywheel. Don't ever do this, it will slip badly and you risk glazing the new disc. Luckilly, I caught it before I was able to get around the block. Also, I started fitting my 89 rear axle lst night, but found out that the housing is slightly larger, and my standard U-bolts won't fit, so a U-bolt flip kit is in order, which I am hopefully getting tonight or tomorrow from a local TG distributor. And finally, my Hy-Steer with ARP studs and all new hardware should also be here tonight or tomorrow! I'm very excited.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice build. Im building mine just east of you. Im out in Timnath(harmony and I25) Cant wait to see you around the fort!
Old 11-27-2008, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by vwfastg60
Nice build. Im building mine just east of you. Im out in Timnath(harmony and I25) Cant wait to see you around the fort!
Very cool to hear from other local toyota guys. What are you working on? All I need now are some 5.29 3rds and I'll be good to go. Hy steer is 99% done, and I can't wait to get it out for a test drive!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:03 PM

your right rear tire tread is backwards
Old 11-28-2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by pyro29073
your right rear tire tread is backwards
Both tires are on backwards. That's how they were when I got em, plus it does help with the "paddle factor". Think of it as a scooping effect. We do it on our mountain bikes a lot, too.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:56 AM

No more sketchy drop drag link, I just finished my crossover steering!

The truck sits perfectly level, and I'm very pleased with the front fernder trim and firewall bashing. I forsee no rubbing issues. Plenty of other little things to work out, shock hoops, bump stops, front driveshaft (again!), rear shocks and mounts, 5.29s (still saving coin for that one), and of course, cryo'd longs. Oh well, next project I'll be widening the front 3" via land cruiser rotors and IFS hubs and rotors. I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:03 AM

Also, here's a couple pics of the shop. We decided to do a massive clean up and paint all the benches, so yeah, it looks like hell. 1942 chevy in the background is pretty sweet, belongs to Jerry, his shop too.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:49 AM

It's always nice to get rid of the factory steering and put on the crossover

When you get some time, you should drop that front axle out of the truck and cut off all the un-needed brackets. You'll need all the space for hydro assist one of these days
Old 03-13-2009, 10:35 AM

I know it's been a while, but I'm still here. I decided I really like the idea of doulbe low 2wd, so I whipped up this little twin-stick shifter for my rear case. It has since been welded to a plate that mounts directly to the case, and all I have to do now is seal it. All parts were in the scrap pile, so this was a free mod, my fav!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:26 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Looks sweet, I cant believe I didnt catch this build back when it first came up..

Cant wait to see what else you have in store...

Old 04-15-2009, 10:55 AM

Getting closer, if anybody cares. I rebuilt an 83 front axle I had from another project and put that in with a 5.29 geared spool. I also did the land cruiser rotor/ IFS hub and caliper conversion to get a little better stopping power and 3" wider stance. I ended up not having to use any spacers, and my huge tires no longer rub the springs. Mounted some 12" bilsteins on the rear, and will soon be mounting the same up front with the ford shock towers. I also lowered the suspension 1" by removing the rear blocks and one front leaf. Overall I'm very pleases with this stance. It sits 27" ground to bottom of frame, and 108" wheelbase. My rear V-6 detroit is slamming pretty bad, so I may swap it for the front, or spool it, we'll see. I can't wait to break a birf on my first trail run, but then I'll do longs and a hydro assist. At that point I'll be able to call it built. Some more pics...

Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM

looks great. have you gotten a chance to wheel it to see how well it all works?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by idayota
looks great. have you gotten a chance to wheel it to see how well it all works?
Not really. The 5.29 gears in the rear are brand new, so I'm trying to drive carefully on them for the first week or so before I really get crazy. I was going to break them in by driving to and from work for a while, but without front shocks that's pretty dangerous. I have the shocks, but still need to build hoops, and get a steering damper installed. Also, I'm kinda waiting to see how well that Detroit in the rear smooths out. I got it used for pretty cheap, and I think I quickly figured out why it only cost $200. It slams whenever I let out the clutch. I might just run it and wait for some damage. I did, however, play around in a massive field of dirt mounds and the thing was unstopable, and that was only in 2wd, so I'm hopeful that it will wheel just fine. Real pictures will come soon enough. Heck, it's been an 8 month build, what's another 2 weeks?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:49 PM

Can you tell me what parts your needed to get the 3" wider stance without using spacers? I thought that a special spacer was needed for the IFS hubs. Pardon the n00bieness. I understand the land cruiser rotor (this is used for the vented swaps anyways) the IFS Calipers and Hubs, but how did you get the width without a spacer behind the rotor or in front of it?
-Jared
Old 04-16-2009, 07:47 AM

Nice work Looks like an identical image of mine at 27" belly height and 109" wheelbase I see Longfields in your future sooner than later with that size tire

Don't forget about the Colorado 4Runner Jamboree, July 31, August 1st & 2nd.

Quick question, could you measure from spring hanger bolt to shackle bolt on your front springs straight across (eye to eye, not following the arch of the spring)? My front shackle angle sucks (about 9 degrees back on TG 4" springs) and was thinking about swapping the top two leafs to some rear springs. I wanted to see if your springs eye to eye were longer than mine. If they are, it would kick my shackle angle back if I swapped. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2009, 08:03 AM

can't wait till you get to try it out some. i know a lot of guys have struggled getting the setup they like with the rear-up-front (RUF) setups and end up changing out leafs quite a bit. i'm running marlin's 4" springs and really like it, but think on my next build out i will use RUF's. again, it's looking good man.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jhowe2k
Can you tell me what parts your needed to get the 3" wider stance without using spacers? I thought that a special spacer was needed for the IFS hubs. Pardon the n00bieness. I understand the land cruiser rotor (this is used for the vented swaps anyways) the IFS Calipers and Hubs, but how did you get the width without a spacer behind the rotor or in front of it?
-Jared
Here's whatcha do, it's easy...

1- You will need rotors from an early 80s FJ-60, $30 a piece
2- Hubs from an IFS truck
3- IFS calipers, the best ones have the fins and 2 large pistons, but I think any will do
4- 1/2 x 20tpi tap and 4 1/2 x 20 high grade bolts with lock washers (these are nice because you can use a 19mm wrench)

take your steering nuckles off and drill out the threads to 1/2" (straight as possible)

carefully tap the calipers using the 1/2 x 20 tap

lay an old IFS rotor on the FJ-60 rotor and drill 6 new holes in the FJ-60 rotor, get them as centered as you can

mount the FJ-60 rotor to the IFS hub body

rebuild steering nuckle using the newly mounted FJ-60 rotor and IFS hub assembly, you will need to cut off the rotor protector thing, but reuse the center section as a spacer

mount IFS caliper, now it will be on the OUTSIDE of the steering nuckle ears, and the bolts pass through the ears and thread into the calipers, I used blue loc-tite with the lock washers

You may or may not have to do a little grinding on the caliper where it contacts the steering nuckle to get it perfectly centered, but you will see that as you tighten it all together

connect brake lines, bleed and test

Originally Posted by Volcom
Nice work Looks like an identical image of mine at 27" belly height and 109" wheelbase I see Longfields in your future sooner than later with that size tire

Don't forget about the Colorado 4Runner Jamboree, July 31, August 1st & 2nd.

Quick question, could you measure from spring hanger bolt to shackle bolt on your front springs straight across (eye to eye, not following the arch of the spring)? My front shackle angle sucks (about 9 degrees back on TG 4" springs) and was thinking about swapping the top two leafs to some rear springs. I wanted to see if your springs eye to eye were longer than mine. If they are, it would kick my shackle angle back if I swapped. Thanks!
I'll measure it tonight, and yes, Longs will be a MUST, I know

Originally Posted by idayota
can't wait till you get to try it out some. i know a lot of guys have struggled getting the setup they like with the rear-up-front (RUF) setups and end up changing out leafs quite a bit. i'm running marlin's 4" springs and really like it, but think on my next build out i will use RUF's. again, it's looking good man.
These springs have been changed up about 5 times now. I wanted the perfect shackle angle, ride height, etc. It's all about trial and error, especially when building your own spring hanger.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:12 AM

First trip out was a total success!!!! Saturday we did Left Hand Canyon in Lyons, CO, and Sunday we did Sevenmile in Rustic, CO. No breakage, just poor running carbs. There were a couple hill climbs that were pretty tricky, and some snowy muddy sections of the trail that were fun. The front spool was better than I thought it was going to be, but that was probably because the trail conditions were pretty loose.

Quick Reply: Project Cream Dream + The Crush = Colorado fun!