84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

no number. 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no number. 3

So i just really examined my carburetor and noticed that i no longer have adjustment screw #3. When i push on the arm the screw would move for adjustment it makes a pumping/ vaccum like sounds. What damage could have been done from it running like this?...BTW its been running rich too, it takes laening all the way down to 1 1/2 turns out to get it to stop smoking.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you describe in more detail what is the #3 adjustment screw.

Regarding the carb running rich, check the fuel level at the sight glass. It needs to be in the middle. If that is OK, then 2 possibilities, one would be that the Power Valve is stuck open allowing fuel to flow through the power valve fuel circuit. And 2nd, the carburetor is leaking fuel somewhere.

The power valve is activated via a metal plunger controlled by vacuum at the base of the carburetor. The Power Valve fuel circuit is supposed to be active only during high load demands, as when pressing the gas pedal to the floor. It is at this time, when vacuum is low, that the Power Piston spring exerts greater force than intake vacuum to open the Power Valve. Conversely,with high intake vacuum, the vacuum holds the Power Piston away from the Power Valve.

Find the Power Valve on the right hand side in the picture, then you'll see the plunger above it.

Last edited by slow-mo; 12-17-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you sir for that epic post! I will surely try to tinker with it later. If I can't fix it ima slap a Webber on it.