84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Newbie to the Toyota world here

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie to the Toyota world here

A couple weeks ago, picked up a new to me '85 Toyota truck Swapped out the starter (which I never want to do on this car again!) and all seemed good.

I love the thing for the most part. The guy I bought it from was the original owner, and had swapped in a 3.0 V6 from a '90 4Runner. Basically made the 3.0 ECU a "stand-alone" system, and kept the 22RE's wiring for the dash etc.

Now, I didn't buy this expecting or wanting it to be fast. I know that's not going to happen, with 4wd, slightly taller tires & lift, extra weight from a topper, and an automatic...

But WOW is this thing slow I'm at 5,000 feet elevation, BEFORE I head into the mountains (I'm at 9,000 feet sometimes). It's fine up to about 40-45 mph, but anything above that and it feels like I have to floor it to get it to move at all. Forget trying to accelerate up a hill... It's hard to merge with traffic on the highway

Is this normal? The motor has headers, but it's stock aside from that as far as I know. It's just a shock to me, my old car was an '88 Camaro that I'd swapped a self-built 355 SBC and manual tranny into, which made a dyno tested 440 hp and 450 ft-lb, before I ported the heads. I guess I'm spoiled, I'm used to working on motors that gain 20+ hp from simple bolt-on upgrades. But going from my Camaro, which was wicked fast (would do 150 mph easy), to this, is just really a shock.

But anyway. I guess my real question, is the 3.0 really this slow? If it is, I'm strongly considering swapping the 22RE back in with a turbo, because this just seems ridiculous. My other car is a Kia Rio, with a 5spd manual, and it feels really fast compared to my truck!

Any of you guys with experience with Toyotas have any thoughts on this? Any advice? I love my truck, but the motor just makes me sad
Old 10-04-2010, 12:00 PM

You spelled it out.

3.0=Bad, slow, evil.

Automatic=Bad.

3.0+Automatic=Unimaginable.

I had a 3.0 manual truck for about 3 years. At first, I thought it was pretty good, but when I wrecked it and got my 3.4 powered truck, I realized how bad it really was. I used to drive that old 3.0 to college, over a couple mountain passes in south west colorado, and it was terrible! I'd try to keep up with my friends, and would instead end up watching them leave me behind, while my gas guage looked more like the tach it was moving so fast...
Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The worst thing the previous owner did to your truck is swap in a 3.slow, and then with an automatic transmission behind it - its even slower. The best thing you could do is swap in a manual transmission and maybe some new gears, and that will make a big improvement in power.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
First thime I have ever heard of a 3.0 being swapped IN. Very interesring. I agree with gears & manual trans swap. Or put a 3.4 in it and be done.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:57 PM

I don't want to hammer the P.O. too much, he was really good to the truck for the most part. I don't know my Toyota's too well yet, but as far as I know he swapped the 3.0 in before the 3.4 was designed (Or at least before you could find one in junkyards). I'm sure it was better than the 2.4 in front of an auto I suppose.

I'm sure I'm asking questions that are pretty well answered already, but like I said I've been a Chevy guy, Toyota's are new to me. As far as new gears go, I'd assume it has 4.xx something in it right now? What model would I pull higher numerical gears from, or what manufacturers offer them? The auto is gonna stay, I know it kills performance but that's just how it is

I'm honestly considering putting a 22RE back in, and turbocharging it. With some fab work, it actually almost seems like the easiest option, and the best as far as per $$$ is concerned. Need to research everything more first though.

As far as the 3.4, does it share the same external dimensions as the 3.0 (I.E. motor mounts, bellhousing, etc) Or is it unrelated?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 AM

3.4 is totally opposite from 3.0 all the way from battery to exhaust dumps on wrong side. Not saying it cant be done, just get ready to swap alot of stuff around. Not for sure about motor mounts or tranny bellhousing.

Some mid 90's 4runners came from the factory with 4.56's you would have to look for a 4runner that came from the factory with 31x10.50s as an option. A friend of mine has the 3.slow with 4.56's and 75mph=3,000rpm with 31x10.50's. His is a 95 model.

Yukon makes a good R&P set, depends on what size tire you are running as to what gear ratio you would want.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 AM

Okay, thanks. That answers that

I was familiarizing myself with my truck some more, and talking to the previous owner and all. Turns out the 3.0 motor mounts are welded on... Well crap

That can always be undone, but that's a pain
Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 AM

If your going to swap another 4cyl motor you might look into a 3RZ. It came in toyota tacomas from 1995-2004 and is about 150hp or so. I had one in my 98 Taco and could burn up 32's fairly easy. It felt a lot stronger than 150hp, turbos are easily found for it, along with intake's, etc.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you know if the EFI was hooked up correctly by the P.O.? I mean, it's a dog for sure... but the way I'm reading your post sounds to me like something wasn't hooked up right ala air meter or O2 sensor. My 92 4Runner (3.0/auto) was as stated, a dog, but I could still merge into highway traffic and go over 45. I live just above sea level though, which is why I'm thinking your altitude might be something the engine is not adjusting to on its own. Granted my 4Runner had a tow package and MAY have been equipped w/ 4.56s. I can't say this for sure unfortunately.

Last edited by XtraSlow_XtraCab; 10-05-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
Old 10-05-2010, 01:53 PM

I've been a hardcore hot rod guy til recently, carburetors are what I know well. I'm still in the EFI, wha...? stage, trying to learn though. But I really don't know what it's supposed to look or work like.

There were a couple things I noticed though. The oxygen sensor seemed (to me) to be really far back on the exhaust. He didn't use the factory style, he had headers put on, and the merge for the two pipes from them merges all the way back behind the transfer case. Seemed really far back to me? I thought the sensor was supposed to be as close to the motor as possible, because of exhaust heat or something. I don't know what effect that has though

Secondly, I remember when I was looking at it, he told me he'd run a compression check on it. They were all aound 120, except cylinder # 5 was 60-something. I didn't think much of it, seemed like just one bad valve seal or something, still seemed to run well and passed emissions and all. I wasn't too worried about one cylinder being low, I'm not afraid to wrench on a motor if I have to.

But I was looking through the shop manuals, and reading on here, and it seems like the reading is supposed to be more around 170? If so, that might explain a lot. I'm gonna test it myself to make sure. Now it seems like ALL the cylinders are low, not just # 5. Not to mention that my altitude lowers the compression by itself, this certainly doesn't help
Old 10-05-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
Do you know if the EFI was hooked up correctly by the P.O.? I mean, it's a dog for sure... but the way I'm reading your post sounds to me like something wasn't hooked up right ala air meter or O2 sensor. My 92 4Runner (3.0/auto) was as stated, a dog, but I could still merge into highway traffic and go over 45. I live just above sea level though, which is why I'm thinking your altitude might be something the engine is not adjusting to on its own. Granted my 4Runner had a tow package and MAY have been equipped w/ 4.56s. I can't say this for sure unfortunately.
I do believe it's hooked up correctly however. It passed emissions easily, and seems to run well, sounds good and all. I can go over 45, didn't try to go past 65 though. It just feels like I have to floor it for any acceleration though, I'm not used to that. No way would I be able to pull around and pass anyone quickly

I know that altitude plays a part though, for every 250 feet you lose 1% of your power at sea level. That's 20% for me! Stupid Utah.

What would you guys do in this situation?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:05 PM

Well, you hardcore Toyota guys will probably hate me for this, I apologize.

But... I'm going to swap in a Chevy 4.3 Vortec V6

Forgive me

Won't be happening for a while though, gonna build the 4.3 up and there's no rush as long as the 3.slow is still kicking.

Dang thing leaks way too much oil onto my transmission fluid stained driveway though, lol