84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

New Radiator for '85 - Little Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Radiator for '85 - Little Help

Hey Guys-
So, I just recently picked up a 1985 Toyota 4-Runner that is in descent condition. It appears that my radiator may be leaking right now so I am looking into a new radiator. When looking for a new radiator, there appear to be a lot of options, but I'm not sure which is right for me, so I have a few questions:

1. When measuring for a radiator, should I be including the tanks in the size, or just the actually core? As an example: If I measure just the core, I get about 16" x 22". If I measure the tank, I get about 20" x 22". So which is the correct measurement?

2. I am comparing different radiators and I'm trying to decide between an Aluminum or Copper / Brass radiator. I know there is a lot of discussion on this, but what I really want to know is if there are people out there who have picked up the Single Core radiators (approximately 1" thick), and if they have had issues with overheating or not.

My ultimate plan for the 4Runner is to make it my trail vehicle, so good cooling will be important, but money is also important as well. I have a $200 a month budget (set by my wife), and I am looking at probably needing to do an engine rebuild in the near future, with that said, I want to get my money's worth.

Right now I'm looking at 3 different radiators:

1. The eBay all aluminum one's (Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...Q5fAccessories)

2. The eBay aluminum / plastic 1" thick radiators (Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-85...Q5fAccessories)

3. The 3 core Proliance Copper / Brass radiators.

I'm leaning towards number 1 or number 1. I like 1 because its all aluminum, but I like number 2 for the price. But, I willing to go with number 3 if, in the long run, it will leave me with the most reliable vehicle.

So, suggestions, experiences, etc? Its been a while since I've owned a 22re Yota, and I've never had to replace a radiator before, so this is all new to me.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Number 1 is a good choice, number 2 is junk, it has plastic end tanks and they can seperate over time and cause a leak.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
personally, I'd go for a 3 row aluminum... is that one of your choices?
Old 02-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Take your OEM radiator to a radiator shop and have it rebuilt/repaired for under $50. Mine looks and works like new.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:13 PM

abecedarian-
Sadly, a 3-Core aluminum is not on my list. I haven't specifically seen a 3-core aluminum one... most I have seen are single core with the exception of the eBay one which was 2-Core. I'm gussing the $500+ one's available from places like LCE are 3-Core Alum, but that's definitely outside of my budget right now.

waskillywabbit-
That's actually a good idea, I didn't think of that. It seems like most shops these days are less interested in fixing old stuff then they are in selling you something new, but I should do some checking around and seeing what the possibilities are on that. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:48 PM

Ive got the number one on my 85 right now. Cools great. Looks good too
Old 02-14-2009, 09:12 PM

SpecialScottie-
Did you have any problems getting that radiator to fit properly? I've heard stories about the bolt pattern not matching up, or the fan shroud not fitting. Also, I've heard some people complain about some of these bigger aluminum radiators hitting the hood with the radiator cap.

Did you have any of these issues on your '85, that's probably one of the biggest things stopping me from getting it (that and it doesn't list it as compatible with the '85, but I don't think there's much difference from the '85 to '86 in terms of the radiator location).
Old 02-14-2009, 09:16 PM

The radiator itself fits perfect. I do have a 3inch BL though. I did have to cut my fan shroud a tiny bit just at the bottom. other than that no complaints. The ebay ad said that it was a two core, but its actually just a really wide one core.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:25 PM

I went with a 3 row radiator for my 84 pickup. DD/weekend trail rig. Everything fits just fine, didn't have to mod anything. I think i had gotten it from radiatorbarn.com, was around $120. Been 3 years now and no problems.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:26 PM

The main reason I went with the ebay one was I wanted one that didnt have any plastic on it
Old 02-14-2009, 09:39 PM

Ya, I've been looking around at a lot of places. RadiatorBarn's cheapest right now is $157 for a 2-Row or $187 for a 3-Row. Its still an option obviously.

From what I've been hearing, and after talking to a couple of places, it sounds like the Single Row aluminum one's cool just as well as the OEM radiator, so I shouldn't have any problem there, but I agree, I'd rather have an all aluminum one then a partial aluminum and partial plastic tank (if possible).

Keep the info coming though... I've been going back and forth on my decision for the last week, so I'm not in a huge rush. I'll probably call around on Monday and see what a shop might charge to rebuild it.

At this point,this vehicle is my spare vehicle, and eventual project vehicle. So I'd rather take time and do everything right on it now then to try and rush it back on the road just to have to fix it again later.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Nothing important here, and sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I hate it when a thread like this dies off with no resolution.

The initial decision I made was to try and have mine rebuilt. I took a look at the shop and they looked clean and reliable. I dropped the radiator off, expecting a nice, fixed radiator, but sadly I was called the following day and told that they tried to repair it, but the fins were almost completely rotted away. As soon as they touched the rod to it to fill the holes, the tubes / fins just fell away. Luckily, the shop didn't charge me anything for the inspection or the attempt to fix it.

So, after that failed attempt, I opted to pick up on of the All Aluminum eBay radiators. It is on the way right now... hopefully I will have it in the next few days, and it will go in sometime in the next 3 weeks as I rebuild my engine.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I took in my 85 ext cab radiator last week as it had a couple obvious leaking spots. Shop was able to fix it and $50 later I was on my way home with a nice reburbished OE radiator.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:53 PM

Sounds good. Thats exactly what happened to me
Old 04-18-2009, 08:48 PM

Yep, them's the breaks... but at least I didn't get charged for what they did. I felt a little guilty not buying a radiator from them afterwards, but I wanted the all aluminum bad boy... so that's how it goes sometimes I guess.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:07 PM

you not listening, take it to a raditaor shop and have it rebuild, it be brand new for about $45-$75.It be made for your truck instead of modifing something too big for your truck.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by brownbagg
you not listening, take it to a raditaor shop and have it rebuild, it be brand new for about $45-$75.It be made for your truck instead of modifing something too big for your truck.
He said he already tried to have it rebuilt. Read before you post
Old 04-20-2009, 12:02 PM

have you tryed summit racing they have a few good prices to and really fast shipping i get my stuff in like 2 or 3 days every time
Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Check this out...hope this may help a bit.
http://info.automotix.net/bodyparts/...type=radiators
Old 04-20-2009, 08:00 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the follow ups. I hope this thread helps some others looking for options as well.

Ultimately, after looking around, I opted for the all aluminum eBay radiator. I weighed things back and forth, and decided I wanted the cool factor of having an all aluminum radiator.

Quick Reply: New Radiator for '85 - Little Help