84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

My situation: Lock right or leave open?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My situation: Lock right or leave open?

Okay here is my situation! My bearings in my rear third member are shot!!!!, therefore they need to be replaced! it turns out my gears are fine, so i am considering a locker since i don't have to pay for new gears like i thought i would.

NOw i have been toying with the lock rights/Aussies/ and Detroit's for a while now. I always wanted an Aussie locker, but since they are not available for v6's my next choice was lock right!

Now i have read the "calling all lock right guys" thread, and because of that i think it seems like a decent choice. But since it has been some time, i would like to know how they are holding up in your rigs!

Now the guy i am having rebuild my 3rd, tells me that lockrights don't last long on road(Now i only drive 10-15 miles of city driving a day on average) and they have a two year warranty so i still am considering one! Anywho, this guy who is setting up my diff Along with a couple other people (who i don't know if they have used any lunchbox locker(one is spooled)) Constantly tell me i will not like a lunchbox locker and will wish i had gotten a detroit. I have driven a detroit and i heard they are similiar to a lock right.

Now my questions:

1. What is the average time the lock rights last? Years/approx. miles?
2. Get one for $225, Or leave it open?
3. Do you know what the warranty consists of?
4. Lastly, what/if any are your opinions?

Sorry for the novel! I have to make a decision tomorrow, so wanted some more input! Thanks guys!

Edit: Also forgot to mention its $250 for labor (me bring in third), $175 for rebuild kit, and possibly $245 for the lock right(lockright from jtspeed.com). Lets add $30 for gear oil/brake cleaner(to clean axle housing)! Bringing the total to $700, which i can do!

Last edited by 904_runner; 06-05-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at your time limit I would get a lokrite. I had one in a jeep and drove 100 mile round trip to work and another 100 miles one way hunting,not counting all my extra driving and mountain trips.I ran it for about 2.5 years and sold the jeep. I never had any trouble with it,I couldnt hear it unless i was in the parking deck at work. If you dont mash on it and try and lock it up turning on pavement it goes easy on tires, never ate mine up unless i was showing out. Of course the elocker or an air locker would be best but sounds like your in a hurry ,at least youd have a locker. that would give you time to find an e locker or save for an air locker. Hope this helps, there are hundreds of thought paths on this.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:39 AM

If you want a locker then I would go elocker. It will cost you around $900 from a dealer (have to talk them into a discount!). The installation isn't that difficult and you will have to spend another $100 or so on miscellaneous parts and some fabbing if you don't do it yourself.

They come from the factory in 4.10, 4.30 or 4.56 and have a 1 year warranty.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:25 AM

I was contemplating the e-locker but because i have not fab tools, i don't know if i would be able to modify the housing myself.

Plus, i don't have $1000 at the moment, not for another month(i only get paid once a month at my job) and i just pulled out the 3rd last night to take it to a shop today!

I had been toying with the idea for a long time now, and since it is such last minute, that is kind of my problem.

The guys i talked to either say buy a full detroit (i would but that would lean to $1000 after labor, install kit, locker) or truetrack which is only $100 less and it is not a true locker. I don't really want to pay $400 something for limited slip, and don't really want to pay $500 for a detroit.

I think for my time constraint, limited funds, a lock right would be the best form of locker for me to start out with. Plus dbcx, you said you had yours for 2.5 years and drove 100 round trip to work everyday! Which i don't see being a huge problem since i drive a whopping 10 miles during the weekday and hardly any on the weekends (except for some wheeling). Shoot, in 2.5 years i don't even know if i will still own this truck, and if i do and still hate the locker then i could pull it out, sell it and go arb or something. Thanks guys, still open to opinions!

Last edited by 904_runner; 06-06-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:33 AM

BTW:

Anybody order from these guys? I can get it for $259 in three days!

http://www.rocky-road.com/lockright.html

And it would be the

Just making sure it is the Toy 8" 4pinion/2piece case one right?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:47 AM

Bump!

Also where would you guys buy your install kit? I don't need new gears, but need new bearings/seals!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mostly bad publicity for Rocky Road but I have no personal experience with them. Read all about it here:
https://www.yotatech.com/search.php?searchid=4789441

I got mine through PORC but I just now tried to link them and got a notice for "Apache Server". Also couldn't find them through ebay... Found this though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RICHM...spagenameZWDVW

Don't know these guys but the price is right. And yes, you want the 4 pinion #1620. Also, mine has been trouble free for just over a year FWIW. I wouldn't sweat the warranty. There are so many exclusions for "abuse" and "improper installation" that I would bet you never get anything out of these guys unless it arrives broken.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:18 AM

Well, porc doesn't work!, the sites back up but no lockers anymore!

So summit racing out the door = $263.70 probably get it monday!

Or $230 from National tire and wheel! Goning to see if i can get it with 2nd or 3rd day shipping though!

What about new bearings? do you guys go marlin?

Last edited by 904_runner; 06-06-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:25 AM

Had my lockrite for 6 years on my 88 V6 X-tracab yota without any problems with the locker and loved it. Having said that I went through more U-joints and tires compared to people running open diffs with the same trucks and tires as mine. Bottom line: It will cost you more in wear and tear no matter how gently you drive it (I didn't drive it hard on pavement). But off-road is where you'll have a big smile on your face. I never regretted my purchase of the lockrite, but I also didn't mind all the pops and bangs that came out of my rear end due to having it, nor the extra expenses from wear and tear. Anyway you kind of answered your question, if you don't like it you can take it out. My 2 cents.

Cheers
Old 06-06-2008, 08:29 AM

http://stores.ebay.com/Just-Differen...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Got my ring & pinion and set up kit together as a combo deal from these guys. They were good to work with. They have a kit for your app but don't give a brand. I found them very helpful when I called and they will work with you on combined shipping if youget other items from them. Keep that in mind when buying. Although I could have save a few bucks on a part (don't remember which one) I saved in the long run getting several parts together shipped in one box. They have your set up kit, the 1620, and a solid spacer (if you decide to go that route). Marlin and Trailgear are also good.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:29 AM

Hey thanks!

Anybody know about the bearing kits? Marlin or what?
Old 06-06-2008, 08:44 AM

1 more question!

The guy that is rebuilding mine, says he reuses the crush sleeve. Would that be okay?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
1 more question!

The guy that is rebuilding mine, says he reuses the crush sleeve. Would that be okay?
Never heard of that. I'd check with Zuk.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Never heard of that. I'd check with Zuk.
I think i am buying a solid spacer anyways! Thanks for your help!

Getting priced up now!
Called a local 4x4 shop that has been good to me, prices and service wise!
Anyways they are letting me pay half then the rest in a few days after i get paid, so that will be awesome! He is still pricing the lockright and solid pinion spacer now, so if i get them for around the same price as others i will buy from them! I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks more for a shop that treats me well over a company i have never met!

Anywho, $190 for complete setup kit with new shims and whatnot (don't think ill need the shims, but it couldn't hurt to have extras), and i can pay $90 now, which means if the price for the locker is too much there i can still afford to order them online and get them all around the same time
Old 06-06-2008, 04:26 PM

Ordered everything!

Okay ended up buying the install kit, lock right, and solid pinion spacer.

total is $475 out the door from a local shop, including taxes and shipping to the store! Probably could have gotten the stuff a little cheaper, but i would have had to wait another week and a half to get the parts and since i ordered local I Get the stuff Monday, the prices would have been similar after shipping if i ordered online anyways! Then ill take it to the shop have the guy install everything and hopefully have everything back in my truck on Tuesday or Wednesday!

Let you all know how i like the lock right after i drive it around!

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
Called a local 4x4 shop that has been good to me, prices and service wise!
Anyways they are letting me pay half then the rest in a few days after i get paid, so that will be awesome! He is still pricing the lockright and solid pinion spacer now, so if i get them for around the same price as others i will buy from them! I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks more for a shop that treats me well over a company i have never met!
You're right. You probably could have saved a few bucks, but I agree with supporting the local guy when you can. Nice work. Good luck, you're going to love being locked.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:38 PM

youll love it...

i only drive my trail rig offroad not my dd so i went with a welded 4.10... when i get around to my s.a.s ill re gear with lockrights but a arb in the front cause of the cruiser axle...

you'll be so happy with your money spent offroad and the saving in tires and wear on your truck is worth the money...

if i didnt get a too good to pass up deal on the welded unit lockright would have been my choice..
Old 06-06-2008, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
You're right. You probably could have saved a few bucks, but I agree with supporting the local guy when you can. Nice work. Good luck, you're going to love being locked.
Thanks, and yes nothing against other companies but i paid $177 for a master sierra install kit, $20 for a solid pinion spacer, and $260 for the lockright. A little more but id rather buy from a local shop, that way if there is a problem i don't have to deal with shipping back and etc.....

So for the install kit i priced around, i feel this is a pretty good price for a master install kit with basically everything. For the spacer, thats $10 cheaper than i could find it, and the locker i could have got for $230 but i called the company and that was before tax and shipping, and i would have to wait another week and a half before i got it, and that was a problem because i need my truck next by the end of next week! So for the locker i probably only paid a little more and that is in the shop Monday!

Overall i think i only paid a little more, but i think it is worth it!

Originally Posted by bigt
youll love it...

i only drive my trail rig off road not my dd so i went with a welded 4.10... when i get around to my s.a.s ill re gear with lockrights but a arb in the front cause of the cruiser axle...

you'll be so happy with your money spent off road and the saving in tires and wear on your truck is worth the money...

if i didn't get a too good to pass up deal on the welded unit lockright would have been my choice..
I sure hope i like the locker in it! I figured im forking over $400 dollars for a rebuild that i wouldn't notice a difference with the truck except for a dent in my wallet. Therefore i decided to go with a lock right at least that way i will notice a difference (that will be hopefully beneficial off road) and i will get my feet wet with a locker.

And if the locker only last a few years like people say (ive heard they don't last long), well for one, i don't know if i will still own this rig in a few years (i want to but, life throws curves right?) and if i still own it then i might consider an arb or something.

Thanks for your guys help/opinions!

Now i cant wait till it gets thrown back in!!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:50 PM

DUDE with 31.32.33 in ch tires that locker will prolly outlast youself and me!!!!

do you get any noise from your bad bearing??
Old 06-06-2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
DUDE with 31.32.33 in ch tires that locker will prolly outlast youself and me!!!!

do you get any noise from your bad bearing??
I sure hope it lasts that long, the biggest i would go is 35, but im thinking 33's.

Yea the rear end was howling like a mofo!

The mechanic friend who notified me of this said he could hear it way up the street! I always thought it was the tires and never paid attention to it since it made the sound since i got it, then i drove my mom's 4runner (99 instead of 90 like mine) But same tires and guess what, no noise!! So i said "Uh oh, better get that fixed", so i pulled it out and sent it to a shop!

I thought i needed gears, but surprise, pulled the 3rd, gears are Still excellent! I guess its a toyota thing! So instead of paying for new gears like i thought i would, i decided on a locker that i wanted anyways!

Quick Reply: My situation: Lock right or leave open?