84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

My average man's build-up of a '85 pick-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I hope the PO doesn't see this thread and show up at your house with a can of...

And OOGA horn's are cool!

I would also suggest getting a mount for the battery that just uses the inner fender as a secure point...while strong...if the battery box was THAT corroded...what did the inner fender look like up close? The OEM battery mount secures to that front radiator support there for a reason...to keep just the inner fender sheet metal from holding down the entire weight of the battery. I don't trust those "generic" plastic brackets either...I've seen them just snap.

I do know where you can get a nice Optima battery mounting kit.

Looks like you got your work cut out for you, but you seem to be making good progress. Blue Sea stuff is killer...I have (2) of those fuse blocks like you have and a Marine battery swithc....very heavy duty and well made...pricey, but worth it IMO.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I hope the PO doesn't see this thread and show up at your house with a can of...

And OOGA horn's are cool!

I would also suggest getting a mount for the battery that just uses the inner fender as a secure point...while strong...if the battery box was THAT corroded...what did the inner fender look like up close? The OEM battery mount secures to that front radiator support there for a reason...to keep just the inner fender sheet metal from holding down the entire weight of the battery. I don't trust those "generic" plastic brackets either...I've seen them just snap.

I do know where you can get a nice Optima battery mounting kit.

Looks like you got your work cut out for you, but you seem to be making good progress. Blue Sea stuff is killer...I have (2) of those fuse blocks like you have and a Marine battery swithc....very heavy duty and well made...pricey, but worth it IMO.

oh I hope he does... I have a few choice words for him. I got the truck from a guy at work... he knows it's messed up... The inner fender was in pretty good shape. It's only saving grace is the fact that the factory tray is elevated about an inch over it. I'll keep an eye on that tray. I wanted a metal one but plastic was all I could find. We shall see how it turns out!
Old 03-26-2006, 06:32 PM

nice work dude the PO of my truck must have done the wireing with his eyes closed because its scary looking like yours was. i wanna get it cleaned up but i dread haveing to figure out the maze of wires under the hood going everywhere
Old 03-26-2006, 06:48 PM

Some times thw best way to fix it is to start from scratch... Thats what I shall do!
Old 03-27-2006, 05:01 AM

yeah but my truck needs to be fully functional by late late april and i am limited to the time i have to work on it because of school and weather.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by rswords
Some times thw best way to fix it is to start from scratch... Thats what I shall do!
I'm with you man... You have to wonder what the mind-set is of some of the PO's, maybe one too many of these ??? ... Why can't people just take the time to do things right the first time?
Old 03-27-2006, 05:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if you are annal about your wiring like i am. a great way to dress up all that "aftermarket" wireing under the hood is some wire loom.
]
Old 03-27-2006, 06:02 AM

Yeah I love that stuff! I used some to run the wires for the spearkers behind my seat. I gonna mess with that next weekend. I ran out of steam and sunlight yesterday.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:53 PM

Great build while keeping prices in check
Old 04-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good, I do not look forward to the re-wiring on my rig...
Old 04-05-2006, 12:09 PM

Spent last Sunday afternoot rebuilding my buddys front axle in his 85... I recomend it to EVERYONE unless it has been done recently... All his bearings and seals were shot and He didn't even know... We took it apart to replace a broken Birfield... He snaped it w/ bald 33" AT's and a welded front... on a dirt hill... Moral of the story. If your gonna lock it or weld it... Get aftermarket birfs.

Other news... I won the Pro-tools bender on Pirate4x4 so the build just got cheaper and Mike green is a great guy to deal with!!! I recomed him for anything you need. See his links in my sig.

I think this will be the first project I attept with the new Bender...

1.5" tube .125 wall... I'm not going to put a winch plate on it yet... If I decide to there is room on the lower hoop... Now I just need to figue on hoe to mount it ti my 'Yota...

Last edited by rswords; 04-05-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moral of the story, don't weld fronts.

oh yeah

I HATE YOU... that was my pro-tool to win.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:32 PM

oh the welded front was great... it climed like a champ!
Old 04-06-2006, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by phorunninduke
I HATE YOU... that was my pro-tool to win.
I think it was mine to win

Congrats & put it to good use
Old 04-09-2006, 04:28 PM

Finnaly got a good day to start on my Taurus fan install on the '85 Yota Pick-up... Didn't get all of it done but did get a good start... I should finish the rest tommorow night. Sorry for the crappy Cell-phone pics...

First off here is the wiring diagram I'm going with. With this set-up the fan will come on LOW at a set temp (switch in AUTO) and I can bypass that and go to HI or turn it off completely.

and the fan

Got these solinoids off a power trim and tilt unit off a boat... My Dad scored them for me at work...

Even got a 12V electric/Hydro Pump... Dads checking on the specs for me... Maybe I can find a interesting use for it...

Mounted the solinoids on the passenger fender... The red part with the power wire is a fuse.

I got the temp sensor mounted and tested with a light by getting the truck up to running temp and adjusting the termostate.

And thats as far as I got today before other things had to be taken care of...
Old 04-09-2006, 05:06 PM

Hey, I see you live in Gloucester. I'm in Tennessee right now but normally from Yorktown. We should meet up sometime this summer and go off road. I know there has to be some good places in Gloucester and Mathews County. And if you ever need any parts my brother in law has a ton of toyota stuff.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:13 PM

Sure man... Drop me a line somtime. I got a couple places around here to play at.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:47 AM

Just got back from lunch and had somthing waiting for me... Wonder what it could be?

My secretary said that the UPS guy asked me to thank whoever sent it for the hernia it gave him... THANKS MIKE!!!

Seems to be a bunch of odd shaped chunks of metal... Wonder what I can use them for... Maybe I can make some gussets for my bumper out of them...

Now I just need my die to show up...
Old 04-24-2006, 07:01 AM

I should know this, but for the life of me cannot think of waht a 'nirf' is...thanks
Old 05-26-2006, 09:30 AM

It's supposed to be "nerf bars" They are the cheap as thin step tubes on the side of the truck.

You can see them under the doors in this pic...

I replaced them with some real sliders...

Quick Reply: My average man's build-up of a '85 pick-up