84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

JasonWin's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JasonWin's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Alright so I first got this truck in early november of last year and have been picking away at a few things. New clutch, Rear brakes. Hooked up the cd player and subwoofer and tinkered with a few things. Right now I got a couple little things to fix up for inspection and then I'll be able to start on a few more cosmetic changes.

That picture was taken the day after I got it, so before any of the mentions fixes were done but gives you a good idea of what it looks like currently. Now this truck is gonna be a learning experience for me so things will go pretty slow. So go easy on me.

Current Mods

- 3" toyotafiberglass front fenders
- Custom Box With Big Stepside Fenders
- Pioneer Deck With iPod Controll
- About 3" Body Lift
- 35/12.50/R15 Remington Mud Brutes

Future Mods

- Clean up and Paint Body (Orange) (In Progress)
- Bedliner Floor (In Progress)
- Musical Air Horn (Already got it, sitting in the shop)
- Steel Cover for back of bed to protect air horn
- Clean up and paint the frame
- 5.29 gears
- Transfer Case Parking Brake

Dream Mods

- Rear Disc Brake Conversion
- 2.7L swap

If anybody has any sudjestions go ahead, This rig won't be my daily driver but will have to stay road legal.

Last edited by JasonWin; 03-20-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:49 PM

Is the horn some type of emergency signaling equipment (in lieu of a CB, ham radio, GMRS, etc.) ? If not, I'd focus more on things that keep you from getting stuck or otherwise getting stranded, such as lockers, winches, or auxiliary fuel tanks, IMHO....

Old 02-22-2008, 04:33 PM

No the horn is just for fun, but it will take little time to hook up. As I said I've already got it. I do however plan on mounting a CB (I already have one in my DD). I just forgot to add it to the list.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
ahhh very cool ... the fronts should match your bed nicely , good choice

are those fiberglass fenders on the bed ?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:12 PM

Ya they are fiberglass, it's what was on the truck when I got it. I know it's not stock but it's really grown on me and I really like the look of them. Very unique.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:28 PM

Alright I'm gonna try and keep a steady flow of at least some information to this thread even thought the actual build will be slow. So here's a picture of the musical air horn I'm putting in the truck.

it's a Wolo Model 430 Dixieland horn. I purchased it over ebay for a decent price witch included the button shown in the pic (it's not included in the actually horn packaging) For those of you who may not of figured it out by now it plays the first 12 notes of "Dixie" witch is what the "General Lee" horn from the dukes of hazzard plays. I did some research before I bought this horn and heard nothing but good about Wolo brand horns, this one in particular so I have high expectations for it. I will let everyone know my thoughts on it once I get it installed and then keep you up to date further down the road after it's been used for a while.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:30 PM

Alright I actually got out to the shop this afternoon to do a little work. I got my new blinker lights in the rear mounted up. The bracket is just temporary. I'm gonna make better ones out of some thicker metal and it'll get painted up. But I needed to get them on for inspection so the better bracket will have to wait.

You can see the lights that used to be on (way to small).

Old 03-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had that horn and I in' hated it. It shorted out and kept going off until I could drive the 20 minutes across town to my house to unhook it, by the time I got there the motor was melting and sparking... Plus the only place to mount it is behind the drivers side headlight... I hope yours works better than mine! Nice rig!
Old 03-16-2008, 11:03 AM

A friend of mine has the same horn and he likes it. And I'm gonna mount it in the bed instead of the engine bay so that should help.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
id love that horn man..can you make a video when you get it in??

you should make a pull chord i would!!! \m/
Old 03-16-2008, 11:14 AM

i take it the P.O. loved chevys.... that looks like the 60's chevy C10 stepside shortbed... thats what i thought it was when i saw the first pic
Old 03-16-2008, 11:24 AM

the fenders are acually the 73 to i think 87 or 88 stepside, the beds are all the same on the stepside version from 1955 second series to 1987 or 88 just the fenders are different.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:29 AM

really? didnt know that.... learn somethin new everyday huh?
Old 04-04-2008, 04:59 PM

Just thought I'd give everyone a little update. I got the truck on the road today, inspection, insurence and regestration all taken care of. Got all the leaks in the exaust welded up and a new belt to the alt/fan. Also it's starting to get warmer around here so hopfully soon I'll be able to start alot of the work i wanna get done. I might take my fenders over to my friends house this weekend to figure out my plan with them.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:06 PM

ditch the chevy bed and go flatbed or get a yota bed.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:51 PM

No thanks, I like my bed and so do most people I've talked to.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:33 PM
LAW

Hey what's the stock wheel base on your extended cab yota
Old 06-15-2008, 04:44 PM

Alright thought I'd stop by and give a little update. I haven't gotten a whole lot done since my last update. The trucks not being driven right now because it had a little miss for a while and then for some reason she decided to just spew out oil so i decided to park her untill she gets looked at.

Recent;y however I started doing some work on the bed. I started grinding out some rust spots that'll be replaces with sheet metal and then the inside will be sprayed with some sort of bed liner. I also got a new cd player for the truck. It's a Pioneer DEH-P5000UB (pictured below). It's kinda a downgrade from the Alpine deck I got now but I wanted something with iPod input so it should work well for me.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:32 PM

Alright I've started to do quite the amount of work. As you can see I've taken the bed off the frame.

What I've started doing now is taking a wire wheel to the bottom of the bed, cleaning off the rust. Then I'm gonna coat it with bed liner, Flip it over, do the same to the inside of the bed and inside where my fenders will sit. Them paint the rest of it. After that I'll probably move on to the frame/axels witch i'll also wheel down and bed liner up. I'm also in the process of putting my new fenders on. and then bed linering the rockers and painting the rest of the cab. And probally a few other small things I'm forgetting right now.

I've also got that CD player installed and it's been working great. You can see one of my patch metal sources, an old pressure tank I love having so much metal lying around, I'm gonna cut up an old boiler to patch the frame with too.

Last edited by JasonWin; 06-25-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Got a little bit more work done, not to much further on the bed but I got the driver side front fender on and lined up to my liking. Also got a coat of paint on the grill. Might get a bunch of work done this weekend.

Quick Reply: JasonWin's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread