84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Idea for my 85 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well guys I had the tires sitting in the garage and figured I'd see if they fit with no lift. I went ahead and trimmed the fenders (as I had planned) and sure enough they fit. Granted I can't turn more than half a turn on the stearing wheel but it's good enought to roll for now. I also picked up some 57" Ford Ranger springs for the rear but I still need to pick up some shackel hangers and such before I can actually mount anything up. Anyway here are some pics of it sitting on the 37's with no lift (kind of goofy without the front axle being moved up).

Old 10-04-2008, 08:03 PM

looks good
Old 10-05-2008, 02:29 PM

Just remember, the Toyota straight axles tend to not like anything over a 35 inch tire or you start breaking stuff when you play. with the IFS that guy is really pushing his luck. JUst maybe it is nothing more than a pavement queen and a chick magnet. In that case he won't break as easy. If you are building to perform off-road better get it right or you will be stranded. gear's anything below a 5.29 is pushing your luck with strength, and 5.29 is just right for 35's. This would be why you see guys going with one ton axles. A Dana 44 is no stronger than a toyota 8" axle, maybe even weaker. Personally I would trade someone the 37's for 35's and get the appropriate lift combo and gear the thing to 5.29's unless you want to really break the bank. If money is no object and you have plenty of fabrication tools at hand, You can go for the gusto and build that monster truck. Here in the northwest, height is a concern since it makes it hard to clear low branches. Weight is also a concern since added weight will put more stress on drivetrain, and creat an added amount that the truck has to pick-up over obstacles. If you pay attention to what makes the best competition rigs you will see that lightweight, low center of gravity, approach, breakover, and departure angles, appropriate gearing for the power they are carrying, All play big parts in their success. Not that you want to compete, but I am sure you would still like good performance. Chopping up the body is not to be taken lightly. You have to have proper tools and knowledge or you could end up with something you can't even sell for parts, as other's have found out. Also many have the exo-cage thing they are so proud of, Should of built a fair weather buggy instead. the added weight is tremendous and it encompases a higher center of gravity, although it does protect the body well, even though you can't enjoy the the body contours anymore. Just remember just because someone else made it look easy, don't mean it is.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyzukisamroid
Just remember, the Toyota straight axles tend to not like anything over a 35 inch tire or you start breaking stuff when you play. with the IFS that guy is really pushing his luck. JUst maybe it is nothing more than a pavement queen and a chick magnet. In that case he won't break as easy. If you are building to perform off-road better get it right or you will be stranded. gear's anything below a 5.29 is pushing your luck with strength, and 5.29 is just right for 35's. This would be why you see guys going with one ton axles. A Dana 44 is no stronger than a toyota 8" axle, maybe even weaker. Personally I would trade someone the 37's for 35's and get the appropriate lift combo and gear the thing to 5.29's unless you want to really break the bank. If money is no object and you have plenty of fabrication tools at hand, You can go for the gusto and build that monster truck. Here in the northwest, height is a concern since it makes it hard to clear low branches. Weight is also a concern since added weight will put more stress on drivetrain, and creat an added amount that the truck has to pick-up over obstacles. If you pay attention to what makes the best competition rigs you will see that lightweight, low center of gravity, approach, breakover, and departure angles, appropriate gearing for the power they are carrying, All play big parts in their success. Not that you want to compete, but I am sure you would still like good performance. Chopping up the body is not to be taken lightly. You have to have proper tools and knowledge or you could end up with something you can't even sell for parts, as other's have found out. Also many have the exo-cage thing they are so proud of, Should of built a fair weather buggy instead. the added weight is tremendous and it encompases a higher center of gravity, although it does protect the body well, even though you can't enjoy the the body contours anymore. Just remember just because someone else made it look easy, don't mean it is.
I'm not exactly sure how to take this post - which isn't important since it's not my thread.

I will say this however, this guy happens to be one of my best buddies and almost like a brother and I assure you - he knows what he is doing.

He wouldn't take on something he wasn't comfortable doing.
He knows as well as all of us do the strengths and weaknesses of a Toyota axle.

All of the points you made (highlighted in orange) are things he has talked about.

I'm assuming you meant your post to help him get ideas for his Runner but for some reason - it seemed to be sort of down playing his ideas.

Just sticking up for my buddy - trust me, he'll make this thing look as good as any other 1st gen out there.

Fink
Old 10-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Just remember, the Toyota straight axles tend to not like anything over a 35 inch tire...
Sorry, but this is just flat WRONG.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks I think haha

I'll be alright with my 37's I'll make a build thread and post up my wheeling pics when I'm done.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just remember, the Toyota straight axles tend to not like anything over a 35 inch tire...
Its called LONGS!

Ive seen 44's on yota axles
Old 10-05-2008, 04:40 PM

No lift? you should add in some bumpstops (if you dont already have them in)to limit the uptravel and keep it this low! How much are you lifting it? And definetly move that axle forward some

Looks real good dude!
Old 10-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

I've got some 57" Fords for the rear and I'm putting the rears up front so from what I've heard I'm looking at 3" of lift total which should work out perfect for what I'm wanting to do. Oh and putting the rears up front will move my axle forward about 2" so I'll be sitting a little better there also. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2008, 04:54 PM

Should have some great travel with the fords and I know the rears do well up front!

Good luck!
Old 10-05-2008, 06:56 PM

Just remember, the Toyota straight axles tend to not like anything over a 35 inch tire or you start breaking stuff when you play.
Quite a few Toyota guys have proved this to be false. Hell, I made it through a season of running the toughest stuff Colorado has to offer on 40's and 5.29's. I really do pay attention to the terrain and avoid undercut rocks and ledges and hammering down to climb stuff. I basically put it in double low and just the truck creep up the rocks with minimal pedal.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgvtPM3mnbo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCtAI4j8B3c&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-05-2008, 08:11 PM

My hats off to you, great driving and spotter skills. You are a wheeler after my own heart. Slow and mythodical. I just want to help a newbie walk before he runs. Some of us don't have deep pocket books. A good freind of mine has broken several ring and pinion gears with 5.29's running 37's and also broken several birfeilds and early longfeilds. Just an example of what a newbie might expect. I myself am still running stock birfeilds and 5.29's and have never broken anything, but my vehicle only weighs in at 2,800 lbs and is still riding on 35's too. so you can see there is a key to combination of things that make it all work together. As said before some will make it look easy, but don't let it fool you. and yes your right, binding up will get you, but will you be able to avoid that forever? I sure hope I can. there is no perfect combination for all terrains, but there can be a happy median that will service an individuals needs and the terrains they most commonly encounter.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=toyzukisamroid;50938646] I just want to help a newbie walk before he runs. QUOTE]

Just curious but what makes you think I'm a newbie???
Old 10-07-2008, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just want to help a newbie walk before he runs.
As an offroading Toyota enthusiast, I steer other less-experienced kids like myself to this site to seek valuable help with their trucks... so please don't make ME look bad with all of this egotistical crap (sorry, but that first quote stinks like big ego). Play that card for the "It's a Jeep Thing" guys out on the Rubicon.

Mybe I'm just especially weird, but I don't take to the whole "newbie" word well. I may not be Mr. Expert-Rock-Crawler myself, but I know my way around a stock Toyota truck pretty dang good. (I happen to chase cars more often than women, for whatever reason.)

Originally Posted by ADH8796
Just curious but what makes you think I'm a newbie???
I'll admit I sometimes forget even experienced folks on here still ask questions and post threads. Let's hope our friend knows that too.

Basically, I've been a part of other forums and I see a "forum fight" coming on. Just trying to keep the peace. We're all friends (my two best friends both drive Toyota trucks... go figure). God Bless Yotatech.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
Basically, I've been a part of other forums and I see a "forum fight" coming on. Just trying to keep the peace. We're all friends (my two best friends both drive Toyota trucks... go figure). God Bless Yotatech.
Sometimes all you need is a little "forum fight" to make your day.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

I don't see a forum fight.
Just a little ego action here and there.

Plus, just because I know the knowledge of a lot of people on here, not just my buddy (ADH), doesn't mean others do.

If I was new here I wouldn't know who was who or what they knew.
It's all good.

Takes time to get to know the membership.

Wrench on bro!

Fink

P.S. - Have you started at Central yet? How are you liking it?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink

P.S. - Have you started at Central yet? How are you liking it?
Yeah I started last Monday but we are still in the orientation side of things so I don't know how much I like it yet. I think it's going to be cool.