84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Help, my truck died, electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I'm back. I pulled a few 70hr weeks, had a cold, did some hunting, stayed inside from cold/rain.... but I just about finished last night.

I worked on my truck all yesterday afternoon and was able to try and start it just after dark. It just turned over, wouldn't fire up. I was tired to try and figure it out.

Today I think I realized the problem. I listened to another dummy (other than myself) and turned over the engine first without the dizzy cap 'to spread the oil'. I'm guessing the plugs got wet with gas and wouldn't fire after I put the cap back on.

I'll get em cleaned up tonight after work and try again.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by twasabug
WOW Aint that purtttyyyy. LOL! Looks so much nicer than my old one even cleaned up LOL!!!!!Good job
It's amazing how nice an engine can look when it's not covered with gunk.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:31 PM

Yeah they do look nice once ya get em cleaned up. Im glad ya got it all back together. I'll keep my fingers crossed it starts right up for you no problems. When i did my timimg chain i tryed to put the dist back on they way it says here and in the book but it wouldnt run right but then turned it back one more turn and it runs fine ever since. Its about 20 degrees here right now so im gonna wait till spring to do my truck. We still havent made it to florida, my boyfriends van doesnt have brakes. he replaced the rear end and now we cant get the brakes to work for some reason. So if we can get that fixed we will be on our way if not its another winter in NY but at least it starts to warm up in march. Let me know how it runs. Sharon
Old 02-10-2011, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by twasabug
Yeah they do look nice once ya get em cleaned up. Im glad ya got it all back together. I'll keep my fingers crossed it starts right up for you no problems. When i did my timimg chain i tryed to put the dist back on they way it says here and in the book but it wouldnt run right but then turned it back one more turn and it runs fine ever since. Its about 20 degrees here right now so im gonna wait till spring to do my truck. We still havent made it to florida, my boyfriends van doesnt have brakes. he replaced the rear end and now we cant get the brakes to work for some reason. So if we can get that fixed we will be on our way if not its another winter in NY but at least it starts to warm up in march. Let me know how it runs. Sharon
Ok, I didn't get to it last night, cold rain moved in. I'm under cover but it's just too miserable with the rain blowing across the patio. I'll definitely get it done tonight. I'm thinking I just got the plugs wet with gas, if that's not it then I'll check the dist. I paid close attention to detail so I think it's on straight. There's lost of threads with the similar problems, so there's plenty of info...
Old 02-11-2011, 04:01 AM

I cleaned up the plugs last night and tried to start it again. It wants to start but won't I can hear it firing and it'll sputter but won't catch, got a few tiny backfires.

I wonder if the dist is a gear off? Any suggestions?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:22 PM

Talking

YES!!! Got it going! Runs great!

It wouldn't run when I got home this afternoon so I pulled out the manual to go over everything...again. I rotated the crankshaft back to TDC and pulled the dist cap. The rotor was 60º off! I would've bet the house I put it together right the first time! Anyway, I put the rotor where I thought it should go, still wouldn't start

It finally hit me that it might be backwards. So I rotate the rotor 180º and it fired right up, got a timing light on it and it's runnin' like new.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:23 PM

That's outstanding bro!!!

Congrats on the successfull build up.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fireball81
That's outstanding bro!!!

Congrats on the successfull build up.
Thanks, it was a blast. I'm gonna warm it up and retorque the head bolts today, and adjust valve lash (forgot earlier). Also going to replace 02 sensor, having a smoke problem during warm-up, sounds like it could be the sensor. Grey smoke that clears up after warming.

Here it is as it sits now. No heat shield, 2 of 3 bolts broke off in exhaust mani, and extractors broke off in the stuck bolts

Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by LSUfan71
Thanks, it was a blast. I'm gonna warm it up and retorque the head bolts today, and adjust valve lash (forgot earlier). Also going to replace 02 sensor...
ok, just realized that my truck does not have an O2 sensor.. ???
Old 02-26-2011, 01:33 AM

Awsome Job

Thats awsome. Looks great and glad to hear its running so good. When i did my timing chain i had to readjust the dist before it would run right. Didnt want to run with the dist where it was supposed to be so had to turn it a bit but runs fine now.
Im in Fla now finally got away from the snow in NY. We are staying for a month down near orlando. Didnt bring the yota but drove my boyfriends soccar mom van so we can camp out in the back. No bugs or hard ground so thats nice. And im wearing shorts and tshirts instead of insulated bib overalls LOL!!!!
When i get back itll be warm then i tackle the yota oil leak. Its nice seeing you do it so i know some of the tricks. Shouldnt be too bad though.
HAve a great day and talk later. Sharon
Old 02-26-2011, 06:09 AM

Thanks, I've got to readjust the valve lash, it might be a little tight. I'm a some noise, I've gotten some advice on that in another thread. Also dealing with a coolant leak that I can't quite figure the source of.... But I have confidence I get the engine running right now.