84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Help, my truck died, electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c0ugar69
thats the same journal that was damaged on mine. I heard it may be from the head being warped but I never did figure it out because my head wasnt warped so i dont really know.
Pain in the ass so far, only thing left is to remove intake & exhaust manifolds. Taking awhile but being careful, haven't had much time though. Forgot to label one vacuum line from the bottom of the air cleaner, I'll figure it out later. Still haven't found the broken piece, it's probly down in the bottom timing chain sprocket.

Please, can anyone else speculate on how this thing broke? I'm curious.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:55 AM

I don't know your skill level but many guys have needed a timing set and just dove head first into a total rebuild with good planing and had great results. Plus then you will know that the entire motor is good to go for a while.

That is what I am saving for. It would be like a bonding experience between you and your truck.

Either way man I am curious to know if anyone has any ideas on this also. Good luck bro.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Fireball81
I don't know your skill level but many guys have needed a timing set and just dove head first into a total rebuild with good planing and had great results. Plus then you will know that the entire motor is good to go for a while.

That is what I am saving for. It would be like a bonding experience between you and your truck.

Either way man I am curious to know if anyone has any ideas on this also. Good luck bro.
Thanks. My truck was running well enough that I feel OK right now without a rebuild.

There was a mix of bolts and studs holding the exhaust manifold. The studs are stuck, I know it's in aluminum but they don't want to come out. I have some extractors but I won't get my compressor and impact wrench back till this weekend... >

Looks like the bolts/threads on the bottom of the exhaust manifold are rusted up pretty bad. If I get the studs out of the headers can I lift the header and leave the exhaust manifold in-place?

Old 12-02-2010, 06:38 AM

*bump*

If I get the studs out of the headers can I lift the header and leave the exhaust manifold in-place? MUST the exhaust manifold come out completely?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by razed
if you get the PAIR manifold separated from the pipe (two nuts and it comes apart) that wraps around the back of the head, the exhaust manifold will kindly slide to the side giving you plenty more room to get the head off the block.
Ok, thanks. Sounds good, got my impact wrench last night, I'm jumpin' on it tonight
Old 12-04-2010, 07:27 AM

hey hows it goin. just trying to get famillar with this site.and use it i make toyota parts trying to figure out how to post my add. maybe you can give me some advice. thanks
Old 12-04-2010, 07:27 AM

if you get the PAIR manifold separated from the pipe (two nuts and it comes apart) that wraps around the back of the head, the exhaust manifold will kindly slide to the side giving you plenty more room to get the head off the block.
We're talking about the one below? It's got 3 nuts, seems like that exhaust manifold would move more to the driver's side with it out of the way.

Help, my truck died, electrical?-dsc00004.jpg
Old 12-13-2010, 12:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribed - wow - that's some carnage!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Philbert
Subscribed - wow - that's some carnage!
Yea, it's nasty. Nobody actually suggested how the journal broke. I'm wondering what happened first, the timing chain or the journal.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:08 PM

Just got the head lifted. The tops of the pistons looked OK, a little dirty though.

I found the broken cap piece amongst the valve springs, gnarly:

The cylinder walls look find to me, what do you guys think? (spilled a little coolant in the cylinder)

Old 12-13-2010, 01:16 PM

By no means an expert but I would think the journal breaking was a result of the timing chain (or something else) going. you have multiple journals, and I can't imagine one breaking would cause the camshaft to go crazy enough to break the chain?? Did you ever find the journal piece? Maybe it flew off and killed the chain?

I think we'll need more photos to diagnose. Did you get the timing cover/oil pan off? Definitely want the pan off so you can see if anything is down there in pieces....it could clog up your oil pickup tube and do more damage.

(edit) just saw you posted pics while I was typing MOAR!

Last edited by Philbert; 12-13-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: photos
Old 12-13-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The cylindar walls look in really good condition for a truck with 120,000+ miles on it. I agree on pulling the oil pan to get everything out of it. I would also check the timing cover to see if the chain destroyed anything in there.

I will be interested to see the inside of the TC because I have never seen a chain break before on a 22 type motor. Good job on that!!

I would go with an engbuilder front end kit, new head, and a new Toyota OEM head gasket.

Last edited by snobdds; 12-13-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 PM

+1 on the engnblder fek....go ot ebay and search "ENGNBLDR FEK".

And use FIPG for the oil pan gasket - dealer only and worth every penny.

And....I bet top dollar you'll find some goodies in your oil pan - look at this photo:

Isn't that thing sticking up on the left the guide, quite a bit out of place?? And, what's with the ring like thing on the snout of the cam gear???
Old 12-13-2010, 01:57 PM

Looks like the driver's side plastic rail broke, I'm sure there's gonna be some pieces in the pan. I'll pull it and clean it out, trying to order a new head from engnbldr.com right now....
Old 12-13-2010, 02:07 PM

What cam are you getting with the new head?
Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 PM

And use FIPG for the oil pan gasket - dealer only and worth every penny.
I'm ordering the head gasket kit from engnbldr, hopefully that's what he sends.

Isn't that thing sticking up on the left the guide, quite a bit out of place?? And, what's with the ring like thing on the snout of the cam gear???
I believe that's the fuel pump actuator arm & fuel pump eccentric.

What cam are you getting with the new head?
dunno yet, what do you suggest? Will do some very limited dd, mostly highway/offroad. Will NOT be a crawler rig, just some mud & hunting duty.

I'm in south Louisiana, the closest rocks are 3,000 feet below the surface
Old 12-13-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
The cylindar walls look in really good condition for a truck with 120,000+ miles on it. I agree on pulling the oil pan to get everything out of it. I would also check the timing cover to see if the chain destroyed anything in there.

I will be interested to see the inside of the TC because I have never seen a chain break before on a 22 type motor. Good job on that!!

I would go with an engbuilder front end kit, new head, and a new Toyota OEM head gasket.
Yep, gonna have the front end kit and head gasket kit on the way in the morning, and a new head.

The chain looked more like a link just came apart rather than actually breaking, but I guess it means the same either way.

Might be able to see from these two pics that the driver's side plastic rail broke, some serious grinding on the sides by the chain, I guess. How does it look to you?

Old 12-13-2010, 05:24 PM

Hey razed (or anyone else), judging by the below pic, what does it mean that mine has 3 bolts instead of 2? with 2 tubes... (tubes to EGR, not exhaust)

I can see here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115.../#post51574012 that this other one has what you were referring to, with one tube.

Originally Posted by LSUfan71
Just got the head lifted. The tops of the pistons looked OK, a little dirty though.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have your pulled your cam yet , how do the cam journals look? How do your valves look ,any stuck down/ bent? You can pull the valves , clean them, and roll them on a flat surface. If you have a bent a valve it will wobble as it rolls. If one or more valves hit, the marks on the piston top will be obvious.

120000 is low milage and you still can see hone marks, but that is a fair amount of metal ( small fine bits) sitting around your broken cap, hopefully it didnt circulate through the engine at all.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking at your photo of the cam again, I can see that the damage to cam and journal did not happen because your chain broke. The scoring on the cam is very deep and would not have happend in the few seconds it would take the cam to wind down and stop. I think that you have had no oil pressure at that cam journal( metal to metal) for quite some time, it finaly seized the cam which broke your cap and chain. If that is the case I would check your main and rod bearings for damage from metal in the oil. If it was mine, I would tear it down and rebuild it.

Last edited by sam333; 12-13-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Help, my truck died, electrical?