84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Help me save my Rusty truck!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me save my Rusty truck!

Hello all,
I'm new to yotatech and to toyotas, and this is a great resource. Maybe someone can help me out.

I bought an 84 extra cab lwb at the beginning of last summer for $400. I got my money's worth many times over because I ran a small business out of it. But since I bought this old truck from a guy in Massachusetts, the truck was rusty and now the frame is rusted through and is very soon to crack in half.

The truck runs great with 138k, and what i'm wondering is how difficult transferring the truck body, motor and transmission, driveline onto another frame might be. There is an 86 at a nearby junkyard and the owner will sell the stripped frame alone for $300, nothing but the frame. I would like to do this because I like my truck, but since his truck is complete, I'm wondering if I should buy the whole truck and simply transfer my motor. His complete truck minus engine and transmission will be more expensive, probably $800.

If anyone knows how difficult it is to swap frames and could let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it. Another concern I have is that all the periphery, gas & brake lines, etc. might be a hassle to transfer, because the junkyard guy says that it will only take him an hour to drop the frame out of this complete truck, so I'm not sure if he's going to care not to destroy all these components on the other truck. Also, lots of parts on my truck are rusty, I'm wondering what kinds of other problems I might encounter.

All help appreciated.

-riyad
Old 01-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

i had the same issue with my 86 4x4. The leaf spring mount went into the frame. I had the frame boxed in and rewelded the mount. I have seen where some one no the forum has boxed in the frame due to rust. I dont know how safe that would be or if it would even work. Good luck with the project
Old 01-03-2007, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the reply gilby,

I'm sure that my truck is rusty beyond that repair. The frame is broken and is beginning to sag where the cab meets the bed. My question now is really how difficult it would be to swap just the frame. It doesn't look that difficult from underneath, but I'm afraid that other parts like brake and fuel lines and control arms might fail soon due to rust.

Thanks,
Riyad
Old 01-03-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
I specalize in these repairs ...

http://www.toyotafiberglass.com/custpictures.htm

If your not mechanically inclined .. dont even atempt it , bring it to me .

every single fastener is going to break and will require drilling and tapping .. have patience , you'll get threw it .

replace all the necessary components , expecially the safty parts like brake lines , and RUSTY parts (if they dont blast clean)

BOTTM LINE is it can be done .. we do it !!!!! .... just depends on how bad you want it I guess ?//
Old 01-04-2007, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the reply, Slacker

It looks like you do really great work. Are all of the panels in the restorations shown fabricated fiberglass parts? What's the advantage of fiberglass over sheet metal panels?

The body of my truck is in decent shape, and since I just use it to beat around, all i'm worried about is the frame cracking in half. I'm fairly certain that I'd be able to do the work, but time is an issue, so it may make more sense overall to get a whole truck from that yard sans motor & tranny and just pop in mine.

I live in Mississippi, and from what I gather from your website, you're in Canada, so there's not a chance I'd be able to put it on the road towards you, but any more insight you could give would be appreciated.

Best,

Riyad
Old 01-04-2007, 02:29 PM

You could swap to the newer frame, but you're going to have to do some fabrication to get your front end in. The 86 will be missing all the mounts for the solid front axle in your 84. If you don't care about the solid axle, then swap your engine and body work to the drivetrain and frame from the 86. You should be able to sell the solid front axle to offset some of the costs...

RallyRoach
Old 01-04-2007, 03:50 PM

Rallyroach,

Both trucks are RWD. At this point, I think the only thing that might make me want to keep my truck--and just replace its frame--is cost. I think that this guy is going to charge me an arm and a leg for his whole truck without motor and tranny, whereas the frame alone might be just $200-300. But still, I think it might be worth it to pay in order to be able to just pop my motor in it and go.

Really, the only way I will do a frame swap is if I can be fairly sure that I won't run into too many complications, but as a previous poster suggested, I probably will since all of my fasteners, brake lines, etc. are very rusty as well.

Do you know if there are any differences between 84 and 86 2wd trucks? Both are extra cabs and have long beds.

All help greatly appreciated.

Best,
Riyad
Old 01-05-2007, 04:37 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by rrgargoum
Thanks for the reply, Slacker

It looks like you do really great work. Are all of the panels in the restorations shown fabricated fiberglass parts? What's the advantage of fiberglass over sheet metal panels?

any more insight you could give would be appreciated.

Best,

Riyad
thanks for the comps ... some seriously nice toys .... Our customers are always happy . and yes ... all fiberglass panels .

depending on what your doing with your truck ...?/? OUR fiberglass is WAaay better then the steel .. Or glass is hand laid , ISO resin inpregnated , for a hugely strong .. NON shrinking piece ...

this is NOT old school crap that spider cracks when it see's a rock .. no, no, no . This stuff is 22nd Century ..Technologically sound .. stuff . Impervious to heat and cold ..

Basically .... think of it like PLASTIC ........ flexable , but strong .

That said ......
you can break it ... if your bashin' the rocks , and beetin' the crap out of your unit , Then I dont really think it matters whats on it .. you'll wreck it , and in that case , sheet metal would be a better route .