84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

front axle help in Portland Or!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Here are a few pics of todays progress on this SA.
The owner ordered the rebuild kit from Trial Gear. It is the "knuckle rebuild kit with wheel bearings."
It is taking longer than I expected because the rotor turner at Napa got sick. and it took until today to turn the rotors.
I also decided to put Marlin's beefy HD inner axle seals in instead of the stock. They told me they would be here today but big brown blew by me like the wind. SOOO, no seals.
I have only a few pictures of the SA in certain stages.
I started the pictures below with the entire knuckle, rotor, axle, spindle all off down to bare balls! You just need to get it to this point which is REAL simple. Jack up the truck, put it on jack stands, Take the wheels and tires off, drain the diff, take off the brake calipers, rotor, spindle, etc. etc. Follow the FSM>
Then follow along with me and build it all back up!

Knuckle ball cleaned up with the races out. you find the grove on the inside of the race. If you look from the outside of the knuckle ball trough the hole you will see a little notch, put the brass drift in that notch and pound the race out using a BFH. A few good whacks will set it free.

There was a seal in there I am certain was similar to yours. That seal is what caused all the problems you are having and thus brought you to submit a thread. I yanked the old seal out of there with a seal puller and I am now waiting for big brown to come by with the new Marlin HD inner axle seal.

Hub and rotor off with races and bearings out. New race in. Note the brass drift I used to pound in the new race

Grease needs to coat the inner are where my finger is pointing

New races in the knuckle balls.. Lay the brass drift across the top and beat it with a BFH

While I had on my greasy overalls and all my tools were out I decided to rebuild the back drum brakes including wheel cylinder

Rotor back from Napa 2 hrs turned into 22 hrs Bearings are greased up, in and ready to rock Turned over you see the Trail Gear oil seal. Behind the seal is the bearing nestled snugly in the race.

Knuckles cleaned and painted. Make sure you keep good track of the shims and where they went. Upper, lower, left, right. This way you dont have to replace them. You can use the old ones.

Birfs locked and loaded, spindles cleaned and ready

Dude to the frozen nature of the old calipers I bought new reman ones.. $36.00 a side... DAMN- that is a good price IMHO.

May as well do a hub rebuild while you have it all out. New seals, paint job, shine and greased. BTW there is a great write up on this here- https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ild-up-158644/

Thats all for today... I will post up the rest of the rebuild tomorrow night

Last edited by toyospearo; 04-23-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:49 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Really. It is hard to remember sometimes without it in front of you but it is:

From the knuckle installed: split metal ring, rubber ring, felt, outer rock ring

Sorry Wabbit,
I can't get my scanner to cooperate to scan that little photo of the knuckle seal order in the "Hardcore Corner" section of 4WD Toyota Owner.

Last edited by toyospearo; 04-23-2009 at 07:56 PM.