84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

double cardan joint with lift... any particulars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
double cardan joint with lift... any particulars?

So I've finally got the lift pretty much completely installed. It is the classic lift from wabfab (4" front and 5" rear) on an 84 4runner. So far it is great, but haven't been able to take the truck too far as I need to tie up a couple loose ends and get the drive shaft work completed. I have just the standard U joint on the transfer case and diff in the rear. From a few people on the forum and what the install guide suggests it has been setup so that the diff is pointing at the transfer case and then a double cardan will be installed.

My question is, any particular cardan joints (brands/places) to get? The truck will be driven as a dd at times and will drive to its wheeling destinations.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I suggest contacting the Wabbit to see if he has any front shaft from a SA Toy. They come stock with a DC on the front shaft. And you could have a rear shaft made with the DC from a front DC shaft. Thats what I am gonna do anyway...
Old 10-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
You have a dc front dshaft. It should be good to use.
Another one from a stock SFA front dshaft for the rear will help if driven daily.

:wabbit2:
Old 10-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
As for the pointing at the tcase thing, my friend drove his SAS 89' with the rear in the stock configuration with a D-C rear driveshaft with no problems at all.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:55 PM

Hmmm.... I will have to see what I can find. It seems to start shaking now at about 25mph when in gear, so I'm assuming that is what the cause would be. I also need to do some aligning on the front as well and once it drives well I'll get the front figured out (as far as the DS is concerned, seems like a pretty steep angle).

Peow, what kind/how much of lift?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:12 PM

Another quick question, I am thinking about throwing the double transfer case in before getting the DS work done. Can good high speed highway driving still be achieved with the double cardan considering the angle will be even steeper with the DS attachment point further back?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kind of odd. Have you tried pushing past the 25mph threshold to see if it goes away? Or is it too much?

I have the same setup as you TG 4fr/5rr and even did some tweaks to raise the rear more. I have had just the slightest vibe only on de-cel and I'm starting to think it may be something else. I just have the stock single u joints on the rear. Of more concern to me was how far out the inner spline portion moved with the lift which was fixed of course via re-tube of the DS.

In my case it was the front with the severe angle as I couldn't do anything with the front diff. (read: didn't want to spend the dough on a front axle clocking) I'm assuming you have an '84/'85 because of the section you are posting in so you would have the front DS with the better of Toyota's DC joints. I had my IFS one clearanced and that is an option if you can't find one from an SA truck and they should be more plentiful.

Article on clearancing an IFS DC:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/cvmod/

Pics of my DS at the T case
Front:

Rear:

Overall angle of the front DS

As a side note that clearanced DC grenaded under hard crawling so that is something to keep in mind depending on how you plan to use the truck. I had it replaced with a single u joint which will likely cause more vibes at high speed but I will really never use it that way (I hope). Sorry I can't add more to your rear DS issues, but I'm just not experiencing those problems.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by live4soccer7
Hmmm.... I will have to see what I can find. It seems to start shaking now at about 25mph when in gear, so I'm assuming that is what the cause would be. I also need to do some aligning on the front as well and once it drives well I'll get the front figured out (as far as the DS is concerned, seems like a pretty steep angle).

Peow, what kind/how much of lift?
He took it to six-states here in spokane, took an IFS front D-shaft, and his stock rear, and they put the double-cardan on the rear. he didnt change the pinion angle of the rear diff
Old 10-02-2011, 12:53 PM

I'm going to go out and do a rough alignment of the front after adding the highsteer and see where things are from there.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
One thing that can help allevIate a step driveshaft angle up front is a high pinion front diff. With as flexible as your front suspension is now you will need a long slip joint, the stock slip joint won't be sufficient.

Might as well do your dual cases now and only have the driveshaft work done once.

Edit-be sure to have the rear shaft balanced...

Last edited by dropzone; 10-02-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the information. I just aligned the front tires, so they are pretty dang close and put on the rest of the lugs. It still gets vibs at about 30mph, but I was able to get up and over that and it seems to stop up until about 50mph or so as I didn't really have much more road and this thing is a little slower to accelerate with the larger tires. I don't have the steering stabilizer on yet either. I think I'll look for a dual tcase setup and get the transfer, so I can get it all done in one shot.