84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Disc Brake rear end swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disc Brake rear end swap

I am wanting to do a total rear end swap on my 85 to get the wider axle. In addition, I am tired of screwing with drum brakes. What make/model of Toyota trucks/4Runners have rear disc brakes/ Is there any problems putting disc brakes on the 85's? I have already put a dual diaphram brake booster on it. Thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Click

Last edited by SCToy; 04-30-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by SCToy
If you want to be a smart ass, why don't you at least Google the questions I asked. I didn't ask about a rear disc swap. I want to swap a whole rear end that already has disc brakes if toyota makes one. That is why I am asking. If you don't have an answer just move on along.Too easy.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:02 PM

Unless you get the brake kits with integrated parking brake you will have to get a hydraulic line lock or a manual drivetrain brake. I would imagine a bigger MC would help even with your brake booster.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:38 PM

whew..a lil sensitive are we? he does have a point on google....
Old 05-01-2011, 03:40 AM

Well even you just searched for rear disc brake axle swap you would see that there is no easy axle to grab and swap in. You will have to do some research as this has been covered many times and if you have specifics that haven't been covered then feel free to ask. If you ask a question that has been covered in detail numerous times than I assume you can't be bothered to search your own question.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is the easiest way to do rear disc IMO. As stated above, you will lose your e-brake.

http://www.trail-gear.com/brakes
Old 05-01-2011, 05:30 AM

Most stock toy axles that are of recent enough vintage to have factory discs are going to be from late model 2wd Taco sr5's. If I'm not mistaken, these are not 8in rears, but light duty 5 luggers. You may also run into issues with the antilock circuitry. I tried a swap with an 80 series cruiser to gain a locker and discs in my 50 series pickup, but had to source aftermarket calipers and ultimately brackets as well. The brakes would not stop chattering, no matter how I proportioned the fluid. The chatter was caused by the (lack of) anti-lock circuitry on my bakkie.

That being said, it may behoove you to go with and IFS rear 8 inch and add a kit. I like Sky's kit because if throw a few extra bucks at it you can keep the e-brake. If not, t-case brakes are always an option.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:36 AM

Good post above ^. I'll take a shot at answering your question. The only toyota's I've seen with rear disks (4wd truck type....) are the newer 4runners and the FJ Cruiser. As long as these axles are not too wide for you they are doable. Problems would be finding an affordable one and then cutting off the mounts and welding spring perches on it. Once you did that, rigging up the parking brake to work shouldn't be that hard although the linkage does look a little different than the drum brake truck linkage. Good points about this are keeping a factory setup with parking brake and compared to your 85 axle you'll either get a much stronger rear ('8.4'") or an e-locker setup. How do you plan to space out your front though, cause these axles would be about 6-7" wider I think.

Last edited by 91diesel; 05-01-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:45 AM

91Diesel, & Big Rob, thank you for your informative posts. 91, you gave me the type of info I was looking for. So the newer vehicles with OEM rear discs are 6 to 7 inches wider?? That is more than I want to compensate for. I want to stick with the 3 wider(than my 85) axles that I think started in 86, correct if i am wrong.

IS there any of the axles that make for an easier disc brake conversion to some of the other ones? I am just not familiar with the running gear of the newer Toys. It looks like doing a conversion kit is the way to go. I am not overly concerned with the Ebrake, I haven't had one on my 85 truck in years and my 85 4Runner ( daily driver) I never use it, so I don't think the ebrake should be that big of a concern for me.

Thank you gentlemen again for the informative posts.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4climber
Unless you get the brake kits with integrated parking brake you will have to get a hydraulic line lock or a manual drivetrain brake. I would imagine a bigger MC would help even with your brake booster.
Thanks. I am hoping a bigger MC will indeed help my very soft brake pedal I am currently experiencing. I think the dual diaphram booster is too strong for the older MC like mine. That sucker will sure lock up the front brakes. I need to swap in a adjustable pro valve for the Toy POS PV. I think that may help too.

Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:00 AM

I'm just guessing on the width differences, maybe someone more knowledgeable can say for sure, but I know an FJ cruiser is wider than my 91 so it stands to reason it's 6" or more on your 85.
I think the easiest set up now is the chevy set up. I got a kit off of here for a steal. I immediately started looking at other ways to do it using junk yard parts on vehicles with rear disks with parking brakes, but so far I don't think there is a better way to do it for the money. If you don't mind spending a chunk, you could also do the Full Float conversion with the supra disks, you'd have a toyota setup, parking brake, and a stronger rear end. Down side is I think it's about $1500 all told.
I also don't use a parking brake (I have an auto) so that's not really holding me back, I think the line lock idea is good if you set it and then get out and put a wheel chock out and then release the lock.

Last edited by 91diesel; 05-01-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: wrong price for FF conversion
Old 05-01-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by 91diesel
I'm just guessing on the width differences, maybe someone more knowledgeable can say for sure, but I know an FJ cruiser is wider than my 91 so it stands to reason it's 6" or more on your 85.
I think the easiest set up now is the chevy set up. I got a kit off of here for a steal. I immediately started looking at other ways to do it using junk yard parts on vehicles with rear disks with parking brakes, but so far I don't think there is a better way to do it for the money. If you don't mind spending a chunk, you could also do the Full Float conversion with the supra disks, you'd have a toyota setup, parking brake, and a stronger rear end. Down side is I think it's about $2000 all told.
I also don't use a parking brake (I have an auto) so that's not really holding me back, I think the line lock idea is good if you set it and then get out and put a wheel chock out and then release the lock.
I think I will just carry along a chock block. Too cheap and too easy. LOL. My 4Runner is an auto as well, but I do plan on swapping it pretty soon as well.