84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

clunking / popping sound when turning 1985 4runner--any help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
clunking / popping sound when turning 1985 4runner--any help appreciated

1985 4runner Solid Axle 22RE Automatic 32 inch tires

I just turned the rotors/replaced brake pads and carefully put everything back together according to the specs laid out in my Toyota manual. Now when I turn either right or left, I hear a clunking sound and feel something popping in the steering. I used a stethoscope and the clunking sound is definitely coming from the drivers side wheel hub assembly.

This only occurs when the brakes are applied and the engine is running. More prominent when in drive but is also heard loud and clear in park. I took the tire off, and the sound goes away. I took off the locking hub assembly thinking the snap ring got loose and the axle had too much play but everything is snug and greased up.

I'm thinking of taking the whole darn wheel apart again but thought I would ask to see if there were any other thoughts. I checked the bump stops and they are good.

Thanks for any help

JARED
Old 11-13-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, reelal here, check and make sure you did not bend the backing plate so it can rub the inside of the wheel. You can just push a pry bar thru the wheel openings and push the plate away from the wheel. Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:41 AM

Thanks Reelal. You're talking about the plate behind the rotor, right? Kind of thin metal? I checked that and it doesn't appear to be the culprit. I should have clarified a little more....the clunking sound only happens when turning the steering wheel far right and left and not all the time.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:49 AM

could be one of a few things

1) Wheel bearing preload wrong, bearing now has shifted outwards allowing rotor to tilt
2) Wheel bearing shot to hell
3) Snap ring in birfield joint broken allowing outer part of axle shaft to move
4) Destroyed trunion bearing
Old 12-06-2014, 08:39 AM

Completely rebuilt axle knuckle, seals, etc. Popping sound still there...now what?

Frustrated by this popping/clunking sound and knowing I had to replace axle seals anyways, I completely rebuilt the axle knuckles. I used Marlins Eco Seals, Trail Gear's beefed up metal split rings, Koyo and Yukon bearings all around, and Toyota parts for the rest. I inspected all parts and a couple of the trunion bearings were a little dented but other than that, nothing else looked bad. The Birfields looked fine and I re-packed them. I set the preload using 4crawler's second method. Everything went together really well. However, the sound is still there and just as noticeable as before. I am thinking it has something to do with the calipers or stabilizer but other than that...I am out of ideas. If the stabilizer and/or caliper ideas don't pan out, I guess it's off to the mechanic.

Thanks,
JARED
Old 12-07-2014, 06:36 PM

Are you sure it's actually coming from the hub area?
Turning and weight transfer can cause the front leaf springs to shift side to side and cause that popping sound.
Shoot some WD40 on the leaves and see if it stops.
My truck makes those same noises when there's a lot of dirt and grunge between the leaves......worth a try.
Hans
Old 12-07-2014, 06:55 PM

You nailed it Oatmeal! This fixed the issue. I just figured this out yesterday with my brother listening with a stethoscope while I turned the wheel. All 4 u-bolts on the drivers side were about three turns loose. After turning them today, the sound went away. Can't believe that's all it was. Oh well, the 4runner needed a new axle kit anyways. Thank you again for your comment and everyone's ideas. I hope this can help someone else.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I was just about to say check u bolts... For some reason 2 of the 4 bolts were like 3 full turns loose on rear left side on rear axel... I pulled them all off, brake clean and wire brush and torqed them all down again. Anyone ever order u bolt flip clits? And knkw of you have to measure the lengths depending on springs etc?