84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

About to do my RUF driveline and shackle q's...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to do my RUF driveline and shackle q's...

I have read the pirate fa1 about RUF and I am going to set up my pack probably this up comming weekend... Well A few things I did not understand was the shackle stuff and the driveline. I understand people are using "5.5" shackles and all that but is that the overall size of the shackle and how is lift obtained through a shackle? Anyone know of a popular shackle combo I want to buy not fab. Also I don't want to run a square driveline extension or anything and from my understanding is I need to extend it because my axle will be moved forward and the travel "flex". do people buy new drivelines or what can be done "again not wanting to fab myself".
Old 05-23-2009, 09:44 PM

As for your driveline question, you need a long travel slip yoke, such as the one offered by trail gear
Old 05-23-2009, 09:49 PM

Thats it? That will give me all the travel I need? Thank you.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:00 PM

Your stock slip yoke will need to be cut off and the long travel one welded on. And for your shackle question you could also use the banana shackles that budbuilt.com sells
Old 05-23-2009, 10:05 PM

I saw on pirate some people were using different shackles up front and banana shackles out back but they were certain sizes and provided some lift a drop shackle or hanger? Im not familiar with shackles or hangers and it wasn't covered to much in that forum especially for a newb...
Old 05-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Shackle length vs. lift:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shackles.shtml#FAQ4

Same logic applies to a dropped spring hanger.

I run a stock front drive shaft on my '85 that was modified at a local driveline shop for the added length and also a longer travel slip yoke:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_suspe...II.shtml#Front
Old 05-23-2009, 10:36 PM

So are these the same shackles used in front mounting point and back? or is it a different type of shackle because I saw all types of variations on pirate. I want to get about 4-5 of lift Ill be making a 6 leaf pack out of a 85 and maybe another 85 pack and run 63's out in the back. Would you say it's more cost efficient to have the front drive shaft done at a shop or just buy the TG one?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Front and rear shackles are similar but the rears are the same width top and bottom. The fronts are wider at the top:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shackles.shtml

Check the pricing at your local drive line shop and compare the price to the TG shaft. You can also send your shaft off to High Angle Driveline to have it modified.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 05-24-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:21 AM

When I go to a driveline shop how much should I be asking them to extend it? Any suggestions on some after market front and rear shackles? Man I didn't know you were so close to me haha I used to live in SF with my brother off of haight and masonic for while and then 5th and balboa for some time as well...
Old 05-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chriso
When I go to a driveline shop how much should I be asking them to extend it? Any suggestions on some after market front and rear shackles? Man I didn't know you were so close to me haha I used to live in SF with my brother off of haight and masonic for while and then 5th and balboa for some time as well...
Only way to do it right is to measure the length of shaft needed after installing the springs. Get your best estimate of the compressed and extended length and take that information to the shop:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...l#Introduction
Old 05-24-2009, 11:35 AM

If its something that needs measurement like this then how does TG just have basically one size for it?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

They probably just make up a shaft that is short enough to fit the lowest lift setup and with enough spline length to handle more lift. I had a spare drive shaft built that way, short enough to fit up front and with enough slip length to fit in the rear location. Not ideal for the rear but it would only be used in case the actual rear shaft gets damaged on the trail.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:42 AM

imo i think they leave it long .. cause there is some fab work for this stuff.. not everything always bolts up to our trucks..
Old 05-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the d-shaft kit is not a bolt in kit. it requires you to cut a stock shaft to the proper length for your application, then slip there kit into the back half of the shaft you just sawed in half, then weld together. i have there kit on my truck and it works great.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:35 PM

Hmmm I think Ill end up getting the trailgear set up so it says to drive onto some bumps here and check the compression. What kind of bumps we talking about? haha If I took it to a drive shaft shop could they figure this out for me?
Old 05-24-2009, 04:07 PM

Nevermind I dont think I will be getting the trail gear kit because it says its not recommended for for speeds over 50 MPH or balanced I think I would probably be better off going to a driveshaft place If I tell them what I need would they be able to figure out how much travel or what it would need?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:00 AM

Anyone?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Measure it yourself. Extended length: Jack up the end of the truck to lift the tires off the ground. Compressed, you can pull out some leaves to compress the suspension or try finding a ramp or bump to test on, or measure the horiz./vert. offsets and do the math (right triangle).
Old 05-25-2009, 09:28 AM

So Im supposed to measure it after I get my new lift on correct? How exactly am I measuring it from what point?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes new lift on and take out your front d-shaft.

then you need to flex out the suspension to its limits, stuff the passenger side tire as far up as it can go then measure from the center of the t-case flange to the center of the front diff flange, thats the compressed measurement. now get the drivers side tire to hang as far down as it will go make sure its off the ground just a lil to make sure your @max droop. take that measurement in the same spot, that is your extended measurement. take both those measurements to a d-shaft shop along with your stock d-shaft and they will dial you in. hope that helped.

Quick Reply: About to do my RUF driveline and shackle q's...