84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 pick up 22r to 22re?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 pick up 22r to 22re?

hey hows it going i need some help on this swap im doing to my 85 toyota pick up. This is the first toyota ive ever worked on, im mainly a honda guy. i got a b20 vtec civic hatchback and my whole family always had hondas. i started getting more into the truck after a i got it and started to tear it apart. then i found this site and started reading about the 22r and the 22re and all the diesel motors on these truck and now i spend more time here than honda tech. thing is that i got the truck with the original 22r motor,its an 85 by the way, and the motor has 250K miles on it with a blown headgasket and a bunch of parts that needed replacing and never did. it also needed piston rings cause i remember it smoking on down the highway. i took the motor out and was going to rebuild it but i got a chance to buy a 84 celica 22re for $600. so i baught it thinking i could use the whole motor and all the fuel injection things to turn that truck into an efi truck. besides the motor, harness, ecu what else exactly do i need to complete the swap. and if theres any step by step type write ups with pics let me know. anything helpful is apreciated. thanks!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:05 AM

I'm too busy to find it myself, but pirate4x4.com has a complete list of parts needed and a write-up in it's toyota FAQ section.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:54 PM

thanks! yeah i was also wondering whats the diffrence between the efi and the carb lines? and also if you can put an aftermarket external fuel pump on the carb fuel tank? thanks for your help
Old 10-06-2006, 06:17 PM

Hey I just got my efi swap done it runs and drives I also figured out it's a 84 not a 85 i thought I had. Here's the factory efi swap. U need a 86-89 parts truck peferably a 4runner. U need a engine wiring harness. U need the body wiring harness too for the efi computer. I remember having to take apart the whole dash to make sure I got it all wired right. I didn't have to swap out the column though. U need the factory manifolds. Then u need a efi gas tank,sending unit and efi line. U can reuse the smog lines though. It would be a good time to install a body lift just so u can work on it easier. Get efi hose clamps beacuse I had a fuel leak and the old squeeze type clamp was worn out. I just read a article where they recommend a new throttle postion sensor. Mine probadly needs one because it idles but it Hunts for the idle. I guess u can switch heads on the engines but I didn't want to deal with that so I got a whole new/rebuilt long block. I use a 87 4runner efi swap. It's only got like 7 smog sensors on it. The 88-89's got like 9. Label your wiring or use colored zip ties to the same connectors even though most of em only work with the same type and the connectors r colored it's easier to rewire. I still got alittle work left on it but it runs and drives. I didn't take any pics of the swap in progress but. all the carb stuff can go and u can resell it hopefully to help offset the cost. Stuff to watch out for. The cold start valve if it doen't start right away check to make sure it's getting fuel and voltage. Then check the connectors. I had too then I had to solder a new one in. Also check all the little vac. lines on the manifolds. I had a little tear on one replaced it. And bam started right up. Now Mine starts on the first try. Oh yeah mines a man. trans to man. trans swap don't no about auto swap. I hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:26 PM

i have the whole complete celica gts 22re motor swap, that includes the longblock with intake minifold, engine wiring harness, dashboard wiring harness, and celica ecu. what im wondering is if all that stuff from a celica would work my truck. i need to get fuel stuff, like the tank, pump and lines but i need to know what year model truck i can use and if the wiring and ecu would work from the celica on my truck thanks.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wiring won't just clip in.
You'll need a FSM and you'll need some time to go through it all.
You can use an external high pressure fuel pump. EFI doesn't care as long as it gets to regulate the pressure. Some people say that the carb'd tanks will have problems at low fuel levels, as they're not baffled, but I never had an issue.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:30 PM

thanks, thats exactly what i wanted to hear. i seen alot of hondas with external high pressure fuel pump to feed a gas thirsty turbo 2.0 and it works everytime. if i change the clips will i be able to use it? appreciate all the help