84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

'84 22-R fuel starvation/Carb issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'84 22-R fuel starvation/Carb issues

I've made a valiant search of not only this site but the internet in general. I'm extremely new to the older trucks and carbs. So if this has been covered or if someone knows of a good 84-85 site I'm listening!

Ok, I just purchased a '84 regular cab with a flat bed. It's a 5spd 4x4, it has 122,xxx miles on the clock. So far I've replaced the alternator, changed all the fluids (you eat up alot of gear oil with 4 boxes to service). I need to change the fuel filter but I've already done the air and oil.

The Truck drives nicely except for the following problem:
It pulls hard in 1st gear all the way to 5k. When I shift to 2nd and 3rd and other remaining gears the truck hiccups horribly when the tach hits 3k. It feels like it's starved for fuel. If I back off the throttle and gently pump the gas it'll fire back up but if I leave it floored it will die.

What do you guys think, I filled up with 91 and guess what...the gauge works!

I'm not scared to get dirty but like I said I'm very new to these trucks.
Thanks.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Change the fuel filter and consider rebuilding the carb, also check all the vacuum lines to make sure that there routed corectly.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with changing the fuel filter, in fact there was a new in box Toyota filter behind the driver seat! Maybe this has been a problem in the past. I will change the filter tonight and see what happens. The vacuum lines is a possibility as well.

What about adjustments on the Carb? Where do I find what? Idle, Hi, Low etc... what are the stock settings? I'm at 4200 ft.

Could timing be an issue? If it were severly retarded would that cause this issue?
Old 12-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Pic of the '84

Here is

Last edited by SLC97SR5; 01-20-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want that front bumper...I'm going to build a Back to the Future clone truck out of an 84 extra cab and I'm wanting a front bumper like that...I wish I could tell you what your problem is and how to fix it...If you were having cold start sputtering and dieing I would say check the AAP pump on side of carb next to Valve cover, Mine would never stay running long enough to know if it affect it warm...That's what mine was doing, I don't know if it affects it being warmed up, Take off the single vac line going to it, drive it around and see if it still dies if you floor it...Other sites you can check out is

ToyotaNation.com or toyotatruckworld.tenmagazines.com or wildyoats.com and mntoyx4.com...

Good luck...
Old 12-05-2006, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

OK, problem solved! I changed the fuel filter(took aboout 15 seconds). I blew through the old filter and boy was it clogged and full of crap. All filters are now new and I cleaned the Carb. I'm taking it to get Safety and I/M today. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the replies!!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

Talking Update

The Truck passed and is now the new DD.

I changed the plugs from the rusty Champions to some NGK fine wires.

Now when I floor it below 2,300 it hiccups then comes right on up. Before with the old plugs it would simply accelerate quite smoothly.

Do I need to do anything with the timing or carb to compensate for the correct/OEM plugs?

My cap and rotor is a Bosch, I know from owning a 3rd gen that this can be a problem, are these trucks as picky?? The wires look fairly new along with the D-cap...they are cheapie 7mm.

Trending Topics

Old 12-20-2006, 06:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe i can help you out again, my truck (its an 85 also) also had this problem, when i would start it up when it was cold it would run and and accelerate just fine, but after a few minutes it would start to hesitate real bad if you tried to give it gas and if i shut it off i had to pump the gas a lot to get it to start. i checked everything i could think of and couldn`t find anything. so one day i was out working on my truck trying to figure out whats causing this problem (not having much luck either), I removed the gas cap to put some gas in the tank and when i did there was a real loud vacuum suction sound, more than normal. I thought i found the problem and replaced the gas cap. it didn`t help, back to looking for the problem again, the next thing i checked was the charcoal cannister for the gas tank, it was plugged, replaced it with another good used one, problem solved.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:52 PM

I figure since there is a thread on carbs i would chime in mine hoping someone can help out. my secondaries dont work at all. so my truck doesnt have the power when i need it. also, some times when i go to start my truck is just dies unless i give it gas but as soon as i release the gas its liek turning off the key, sometimes when ir ev it a few times it will rev down slow and idle like normal. im thinking i got a bad carb all together. where should i get a rebuild kit for it? i will buy a new carb eventually but fo rnow its jsut a rebuild
Old 12-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

im thinking i got a bad carb all together. where should i get a rebuild kit for it? i will buy a new carb eventually but fo rnow its jsut a rebuild
I'd get a couple cans of Carb cleaner and soak that baby, it may be your accelerator pump is gummed up or your choke is sticking intermittently. IDK about re-build kits, I'd be interested as well.