84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

3 truck rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 truck rebuild thread

Here we go,

So I have 3 trucks, 83-84. 2 ext cabs, 1 single cab. My dream truck, the baby of the bunch, got totatled about 2 months back. Girlfriend was driving, lost the rear end around a 20 mph turn, heading towards a cliff, overcorrected and rolled it into a ditch. I was sitting passenger, the side that took the brunt of it. We both walked away fine, scratch here and there, whiplash, chiropracter and massage etc.

So, I bought another 84 ext to replace the hole in my heart from losing my baby. I paid the same price for the new one as the old one, and man did I get ripped off. Basically the guy told me rebuilt engine, new front and rear axels, replaced recently at least. ETC the whole nine yards. Driving the truck back from Oregon, rear driver side seal and bearing burn out. 2 days later we finally get it home. Now the timing chain is making some noise on startup, so I know he either didnt rebuild the engine, or he did a crap job.

The totalted truck's engine and transmission were great, not as much power as the new one I got but, it ran beautifully. Chassis is perfect, no oil anywhere. New truck I got not so much. Looks like it is going to be endless problems. Theres slop in the front, mechanic said i needed to replace front bearings and I know i need to basically replace the entire front end to make it safe driving. Right now theres alot of slop, and the truck will do what it wants sometimes while driving. I can handle her, heh, driven worse.

So at this point, I know i will be getting the crossover/highsteer conversion for one of these trucks. I will be getting the 30 spline axle setup like this http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/tra...e-p-49372.html if someone can recommend the best one that would be great. I lost the link to the setup I wanted.

The totalted truck I remember the kid I bought it from saying there was an aftermarket differential in the front or something like that. Not sure. Little thing about me, I am kind of a scatterbrain and I just got into the whole mechanic side of the world, was always a techie.

So here I am at a crossroad. Do i get the highsteer crossover and axle, and put it onto the truck i just got, which is pretty bad IMO all around. OR do i do a body swap. Take the camo ext body and put it onto the totalted truck that I love. The totaled truck had the propane conversion, a really nice tight tranny, ran pretty damn smooth all around. Looks like alot better condition to start really investing into, minus the destroyed body.

Now I have a new in box weber 32/36 carb. Can you run propane into that? I should look it up myself so, dont answer if you dont want. I would really love to replace the body on the totalted truck, do the crossover/highsteer/axle replacement for it, add the weber carb, still run propane for when I am in the middle of nowhere and run out of gas. Happens alot to me, I suck. Now, if this is semi-possible from a person who can and will do anything as long as I can read or learn about it. I love to further my understanding of the world and I never give up. I just know nearly nothing about trucks/mechanics. I have the chilton and another one that starts with an H.

One thing, the body that is in good condition, the door tag says manufactured october of 83. The totalted trucks door tag is May 84. Is there going to be an issue with alignment of body mounts etc. Are these different generations because of the 5 month gap. I will be posting pitcures and doing my best to record the carnage that is going to unfold.

As of now I just have hand tools btw. I am looking to get a compressor and setup, I just dont know what I should get/need. I dont have a garage, all this work will be done on my dirt driveway, and I will be putting tools away outside when I am done, no enclosed work environment. If someone could reccommend a sub 1k compressor setup that would be great.

I just wrote a small essay I realize, and I probably forgot most of the info I wanted to portray, but it is a start. Any help, comments tips would be appreciated.

I need to replace the CV joints on my girlfriends 95 4runner before I do all of this, because I need at least 1 working vehicle on the property. How hard of a job is that?

I have been using the search function and google alot the last few weeks, dont think this is just a help me post, I am trying my best to learn it all with as little help as possible, but I just wanted to make this post to potentially help others and myself in the future. Plus it will be nice to see where this 3 truck freak fest is going to go. I want 2 nice trucks at the end.
Much love everyone, Appreciate all the hours you have spent and all the knowledge you drop constantly. Until next time.

Edit:Cant upload pictures from this PC, give me a few hours I will be going to town later. Live in the middle of nowhere >_>

Last edited by kawazx636; 06-18-2014 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Changed thread title
Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 PM

Post up some pictures of what your working with. At least pics of your girlfriend z 4Runner...
Old 06-17-2014, 01:21 PM

Sorry for bad pics, my attchment limit is full and this is an old phone. Computer is full of viruses.
Attached Thumbnails 3 truck rebuild thread-cam00080.jpg   3 truck rebuild thread-cam00081.jpg   3 truck rebuild thread-cam00082.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014, 11:31 AM

update on girls truck

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=52206026#post52206026

I didn't want to write too much about the 4runner here so I made a new post. Need a bit of help if you could jump over there regarding a 95 4runner.