84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

1st Toyota, new to site. Have some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Toyota, new to site. Have some ?'s

Hello everyone. Just bought my first Toyota. Its a very clean 1984 truck, xtra cab, with 22R, 5 speed. It has 230'000 mi. Plan on keeping it all stock, and just making a good, cheap, and dependable ride with it. I have a 94 suzuki samurai that I use for all my rock crawling, and it has Toyota axles under it. I have always been very impressed with them, and have wanted a pick-up for some time now. This deal came along with the 84 model truck for less than a $1000 bucks, that I could not pass up. One thing I would like to fix is an oil leak, or two at the front of the engine. It seems the heaviest around the water pump area. What are some more common places on the 22r's that I might investigate 1st, before tearing deeper in than I need to to fix the problem? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by WileECoyote; 01-18-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats on the find!

Check out 92 TOY's writeup here (Jerry) - he has tons of photos and walks you through everything for a rebuild - and he started as a total noob so it's a great place to start.

For your oil leak, I'd bet it's the head gasket if it's in the water pump area....the gasket where the timing cover (and water pump) meet the block tends to get mangled when the timing cover is taken off. I'm dealing with this right now....filled it up with Toyota FIPG and that helped, but now have a coolant leak I'm chasing....

You'll find everything you need here - great group of folks
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
there's a tiny man driving your truck!!!! Just kidding, good find. Love the zuk as well. Look at the valve cover gasket at the half moon towards the front. they can leak. Also check into the front main seal as it can leak as well. You and i both know you're not gonna find all the leaks with out cleaning off the motor and start watching where the oil gathers from the source. good luck and post some pics of the interior and motor. I bet you don't leave it stock for long.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 AM

Welcome to Yota Tech!

Where did you get that trailer? I am looking for a lightweigth trailer to tow mine and yours looks perfect.

P.S.
Zuk is nice, glad you put yota axles under it.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice truck...Great buy!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 84Horunner
Welcome to Yota Tech!

Where did you get that trailer? I am looking for a lightweigth trailer to tow mine and yours looks perfect.

P.S.
Zuk is nice, glad you put yota axles under it.
I was wanting something light, that I could pull behind the motorhome. I got to looking at some boat trailers, and found one for $125. It has a 3500 lb. axle under it. Which is plenty for a samurai. So I bought it, took it home, and cut off all the things I didn't need. Then welded on all the things I did need. Its built just to haul my Zuk. With it being open down the middle, there's lots of room for extras, like the tool box, tire carrier, and storage at the very back. I put some built in ramps at the back, so I can just drive up, and onto the trailer without ever having to place ramps on and off all the time. I will see if I can find some more photos of it, and post them.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 01-20-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-21-2011, 05:46 AM

that trailer is real slick man! I bet you could do the same type of thing with a tandem axle boat trailer for the longer wheel base toyota's.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Heyworth
that trailer is real slick man! I bet you could do the same type of thing with a tandem axle boat trailer for the longer wheel base toyota's.
I was actually looking for a tandem axle trailer when I came across this one. You can find old boat trailers pretty cheap, and with a little work, they can be made to haul just about anything. Its best to get one that they call a wish bone design, which is where both sides come all the way to the tongue and join. The other kind is where the sides join about 4 or 5 feet back from the tongue, and then has a single beam running to the front. These tend to bend much easier under a load.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice truck, and the trailer is cool also.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech. We dont have many yotas on here from our area. Im just up the road from you in Anderson Mo. I remember when Lowell was a small town. On the back side on the valve cover is the D shaped rubber seal. It kind of straddles the head. It can get bumped and make a bad leak. As for the front, I would give it a good cleaning and just tighten the bolts up front a little. If you dont find any loose, it really isnt to bad to replace the front gaskets. Thats a really nice truck.

If you do have to further and all the way to the Timing Chain Cover, you will need to pull the Crankshaft Pulley and the Crankshaft Bolt is in TIGHT. I used a 5 foot cheater bar and couldnt get it. Took a high pressure impact wrench and they have a tough time. There is a starter method that I havent tried. 92 Toys thread is great for this.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-23-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:23 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Philbert
Congrats on the find!

Check out 92 TOY's writeup here (Jerry) - he has tons of photos and walks you through everything for a rebuild - and he started as a total noob so it's a great place to start.

For your oil leak, I'd bet it's the head gasket if it's in the water pump area....the gasket where the timing cover (and water pump) meet the block tends to get mangled when the timing cover is taken off. I'm dealing with this right now....filled it up with Toyota FIPG and that helped, but now have a coolant leak I'm chasing....

You'll find everything you need here - great group of folks

Thanks Phil...

Hey, welcome to the place where you will spend all your free time......no escaping now

chasing an oil leak......boooooooo

here's what I would do.......it runs, right?......good....it'll run when you are done with it too then.......that sounds weird but it was something I insisted on with my son's 4runner build (link in my sig).....before we pulled the motor out, I/we did alot of work to be sure we weren't chasing our tails......it ran like a top before we took the motor out, it'll run like a better top when we put it back in.

so, before you get deep into the project, I would assure you have everything at least preliminarily good.

good......now the 1st thing I would do is peel off the valve cover.......look to see what you see......do you have your timing chain guides???.......even if you do.....I would be inclined to replace them....timing chain / cover / guides / water pump / oil pump / head gasket / pcv valve.......all 1 project as far as I see it........your leak (if it's low) might be the front oil seal......you have to get the dreaded crankshaft bolt off to work on that.....you have to get it off to do the oil pump too.

I would just do that complete project and then it's likely your hands will never have to be on those parts again.

plugs / wires / injectors cleaned are all part of that package too.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Welcome to Yotatech. We dont have many yotas on here from our area. Im just up the road from you in Anderson Mo. I remember when Lowell was a small town. On the back side on the valve cover is the D shaped rubber seal. It kind of straddles the head. It can get bumped and make a bad leak. As for the front, I would give it a good cleaning and just tighten the bolts up front a little. If you dont find any loose, it really isnt to bad to replace the front gaskets. Thats a really nice truck.

If you do have to further and all the way to the Timing Chain Cover, you will need to pull the Crankshaft Pulley and the Crankshaft Bolt is in TIGHT. I used a 5 foot cheater bar and couldnt get it. Took a high pressure impact wrench and they have a tough time. There is a starter method that I havent tried. 92 Toys thread is great for this.
Lowell has definitely grown from what it used to be. I was born and raised here, so I have seen all the changes over the years. One thing I like is its fairly close to some good wheelin spots that are great to go to. There is Bryds adventure center at Cass Ar. Home of Rocktoberfest in October. Then there is Hogans off road park at Disney Ok. where they have the annual big meat run in March. There is a park somewhere in your neck of the woods in southern Mo. that I have been wanting to go to, but have not made it yet. Can't think of the name of it though. It will soon be warming up and time to go wheelin.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:01 AM

Nice lookin truck you got. and nice trailer too. i might have to borrow some of your ideas with the tandem axle trailer someday for my yota.