84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

1985 toyota pickup truck what is this part?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 toyota pickup truck what is this part?

This part plugs in under the inside drivers side door fuse box panel. I broke mine and need a new one but don't know the name of the part. Can anyone help by identifying the part? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 1985 toyota pickup truck what is this part?-circuitboard.jpg  
Old 03-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that is a turrible picture...
Old 03-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Looks like some kind of relay. Check the FSM.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A fewrelays that come to mind... Charge Light Relay, Parking Light Relay, maybe the EFI relay... and a flasher. Zoom out so we can see the location of the broken component. Toyota labeled most of those relays, there should be print above or below where the relay plugs in.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 AM

I ca't getany of the links to the fsm to work. I am thinking it is a relay too, if i had my truck here i would look. What happened was I was driving down the road and the headlights were real dim, bc i had half the circuit board broken, and then in the morning I accidentally broke the rest of the board off atthe plug( the part right under the fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side, next to the flasher relay ECM part.) and then the truck wouldn't blow heat, i couldn't turn on my lights, i just got nothing at all. we jumped the truck and it ran for about 3 minutes and turned off, and then once again i got nothing.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 AM

and I has just bought a brand new battery for it the day before.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 AM

I pieced the circuit board togethr and held it together as tight as i could and i got it to light the interior ights up at least but it didn't have anywhere near enough juice to start the truck up.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:43 AM

i will post better pictures of the piece.. i only have two parts and am missing the plug part- which is green.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:53 AM

better pics
Attached Thumbnails 1985 toyota pickup truck what is this part?-0313111337a.jpg   1985 toyota pickup truck what is this part?-0313111338a.jpg  
Old 03-13-2011, 09:58 AM

i might try to repair the broken circuit board and pray it works, at least unti li can figure out what the part is. I read online it can be soldered together maybe usng epoxy or super glue.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:04 PM

Ashley, look familiar?

What you're looking at is a Nippo Denso turn signal flasher relay used on 1984-1988 Toyota trucks/4Runners (and most likely other years). It causes the turn signals to "blink". Facing your interior fuse panel, it plugs in on the bottom left corner of the fuse panel. It looks exactly like the pictures you have, just that some of the PCB components on yours are leaning. Probably because its been mounted without a case. The green "chicklet" looking component versus your red one shouldn't mean anything. I think its just a matter of what color soldermask the PCB constructor decided to use on that work shift.

You could easily find one in your area at a junkyard or autoparts store, but if you have trouble getting one (or live in Northern California) I've got spares laying around.

This might not be it though, broken turn signal flashers typically don't cause all of the electrical gremlins that you've listed and flashers are easily confused with other types of relays. 22R or 22RE?

Last edited by XtraSlow_XtraCab; 03-13-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:47 PM

Hmm... how many terminals are in the plu that broke off... 3 or 4? I looked at my fuse panel and there's a spot for an EFI relay/"bulb check" relay that plugs in below the turn signal flasher. Haha naturally I don't have that one because I'm carbureted, but still... something you can find at your local Pick N Pull.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 AM

wow! thats the part definately, it looks exactrly the same! hmm, i don't know what is wrong with the truck then because i thought for sure that was what was causing the starting problems.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 AM

so what would cause the truck to get absolutey no power, after i just put a brand new battery in it? There is a black and red wire by the fuse panel box that is cut. I don't know what that would be. (probably something for the speakers) or maybe i have a bad battery connection?
Old 03-14-2011, 06:57 AM

all the fuses are ok. it has a new battery. but i get nothing when i try to flip the key on.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:57 AM

hey- our trucks are alike! mine is carbeurated too, so i wouldn't need the one under the flasher, only the one with the green.can i pay you for the part if i can't find it?

Last edited by ashley deemer; 03-14-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 AM

With the key out have you tried flipping your lights on to make sure you have power from the battery....new batterys are sometimes garbage. Double check your battery connections. Turn your head lights on to make sure your getting power...
Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 PM

Be sure you connected the "small red wire" to the + post on your battery because it is the main power to the fuse buss in the engine compartment. That has your starter relay in it and no power will mean no starting.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ashley deemer
hey- our trucks are alike! mine is carbeurated too, so i wouldn't need the one under the flasher, only the one with the green.can i pay you for the part if i can't find it?
Ah heck I'll give it to ya. I can get these at anytime from the local junkyard.

I'm curious as to why the truck doesn't start though... have you checked your fusible links? Not to be confused with "fuses" the fusible links are the larger rectangles with "peep windows" at the top. Look at the metal bands and see if any are broken. They are in the L-shaped fuse box inside the engine bay and roughly the size of a LEGO piece (the rectangular LEGO piece).

According to the wiring diagram, the 80 AMP fusible link being burnt out would show the symptoms you describe... no start, no lights... nothing.

If it IS burnt out, the real question is why? They don't just burn up. Something further could be wrong.

Last edited by XtraSlow_XtraCab; 03-14-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:53 PM

Black/red wire possibilites:

1) Computer ground wire (yes, even carburetor engines have computers) BUT that would probably be on the passenger side with the computer.

2) Power feed to 7.5 amp IGN fuse... thats a BIG one.

3) Brake light pedal switch.

4) Cruise control actuator feed wire from CC computer (only applicable to cruise control models)

5) Common wire for intrument illumination (heater control light, automatic transmission indicator light/Overdrive Switch light, gauge board light, etc.) Basically any interior ligth bulb that switches on with the parking lights (so, dome lights not included).

Stock stereo/speaker wiring does NOT include a red/black wire.

Quick Reply: 1985 toyota pickup truck what is this part?