84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

16" Tacoma Alloy's on a '85 SFA - Need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16" Tacoma Alloy's on a '85 SFA - Need suggestions

I found a smokin' deal on some tires and rims - they are the 16" Toyota OEM alloy wheels. I got them figuring if this doesn't work, I can always unload them.

Here is the situation: These 16's contact the stock draglink arm on the pass side of my 1985 4Runner (not sure of driver yet as I haven't tested the fitment there yet.) I wish to run these rims at some point and I need to know:

A) Sould I just get some 1" spacers and put them on to compensate for the shallow B.S?

B) I will be going to Cross over steering in the near future. Is there a difference in the angle of the arm from Crossover vs. stock push pull? Will this still be a problem with the X-over knuckle arms?

So, is it spacers or will the X-over make it w/o spacers on a SFA?

Has anyone attempted running these type rims on a SFA or should I just look for some different BS 16's?

Thanks!

John

Last edited by LUV24BY; 02-12-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:06 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
dude ...

one of the units I did in fiberglass ... had TUNDRA 16's on her

They look awesome (I thought ) But the rims are for IFS .. spacer would work for a bit , but I think in the long run , not be so good ... offset on the IFS is wat to much to compensate for on a solid axle.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:22 PM

HEYA CJ!! Wassup man!? Yeah, I saw that! However I think there is a problem with the Straight Front Axle.

I know people run spacers, though I don't know of the reprocussions of them. That's kinda why I was asking to see what anyone else has done. I might just unload them and go with something else - perhaps with a different offset and still a 16".

First though I will see what happens here!

John
Old 02-12-2007, 06:04 PM

IFS hub

SA hub

I Swapped IFS hubs on to my SFA 85 4runner. I also swapped in a wider IFS rear axle. I have the stock suspension except for a larger shackle in the rear to get rid of the sag. Factory 16? alloys with 255x85 (33.3x10) Trxus MT.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:09 PM

Now there's an idea! I will have to check the tech section to see if there is anything posted about switching to the IFS hubs. Where di you find your info at and if it's a document of sorts, let me know and I will pM you my email address!

Thanks for posting MTNTOYS! It's a great consideration to do, then I am sure the better brakes goes hand in hand with that upgrade?

John
Old 02-12-2007, 06:11 PM

The point where the wheel mounts to the hub is 1.5” further out on the IFS hubs then the SA hubs. So it would widen your front axle 3” and match the width of a rear from a IFS truck. The rotors on the IFS hubs are held on with 6 bolts. The rotors on the SA hubs have the wheel studs pressed through them and 2 bolts holding them on. So the bolt pattern for the rotor is different between the two. Besides that the hubs are identical.

You can?t reuse the IFS rotors because they have to large of a diameter. You can either use the original solid axle rotors or you can upgrade to vented FJ60 rotors (I think you can get them for $39 a piece).
FJ60 rotors

Your larger IFS calipers will work with the FJ60 rotors. When I drilled the IFS bolt pattern in the FJ rotors I used the IFS rotor as a template. The IFS rotor hat fit snugly inside the FJ rotor hat and lined up perfectly.

Since the rotor is also shifted outward 1.5? by the IFS hubs you obviously have to mount the caliper 1.5? further out. You can do this by mounting the caliper on the outside of the ears on the knuckle instead of the stock location inside the ears. I did this by drilling the threads out of the ears and slightly enlarging the holes on the caliper with the 1/2? bit. I used a ?? bolt, nut and lock washer to bolt the caliper to the knuckle. I guess you could try taping threads into the caliper instead of using a nut.

Some people argue that this is an unsafe set up with the caliper on the other side of the ears. I haven?t had any problems with it yet. I locked up my tires doing 40 twice. I think the ears on the knuckle are beefy enough to hand the very little bit of extra torque applied to them.

Sky manufacturing sells a kit that places a spacer in between the rotor and where it bolts to the hub. This allows you to retain the stock rotor position and caliper mounting. It costs $200 though.

If you search I know someone else did a write up on the swap.

Last edited by MtnToys; 02-12-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:15 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=sfa+ifs+hub
Old 02-12-2007, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the write up in a nut shell. I still need to get a IFS truck rear axle and doing this I might be getting a bit ahead. My future budget is for X over steering and to get the lift on that is enroute via shipping. I have a few pieces to go with first and I think this may be a bit premature (meaning the rims and the work to have them on.) I dunno. I could see perhaps getting some better tires for now and then going to 16" in the future. The stock suspension is 22 years old and in dyer need of an upgrade (not to mention the better handling factor!)

I will have to think on this! I REALLY appreciate the info MTNTOYS!

John