84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

0 - 60 in.... 27 seconds??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
0 - 60 in.... 27 seconds??

Yes, 27 seconds

It's an '85 single cab pickup, which had a 3.0 out of a 1990 4Runner swapped in by the previous owner.

It's an automatic, 4wd, 29" tall tires, with a topper in back. Time was with me and my girlfriend in the car, we weigh about 300 lbs combined. Altitude is about 5,000 feet give or take.

I've read plenty about how slow these motors are, but a 27 second zero to sixty time?? Is this honestly normal, or is something wrong? The motor even has headers installed...
Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it's the Auto...sounds about normal lmfao
Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech, Prime...

DANG, really?????? That's insane, hmmmm. My buddy has a 3.0 and it's NOT that slow.... not even as slow as many people say on here. But yes, it's no 3.4, lol. Heck, my 22re does around TWICE as good as what you're finding....that can't be right. Altitude couldn't be helping, I wouldn't think. Maybe the compression needs some checkin?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Primetime91
Yes, 27 seconds

It's an '85 single cab pickup, which had a 3.0 out of a 1990 4Runner swapped in by the previous owner.

It's an automatic, 4wd, 29" tall tires, with a topper in back. Time was with me and my girlfriend in the car, we weigh about 300 lbs combined. Altitude is about 5,000 feet give or take.

I've read plenty about how slow these motors are, but a 27 second zero to sixty time?? Is this honestly normal, or is something wrong? The motor even has headers installed...
What gearing do you have and what size tire are you running ?.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'85 will put it with 4.10 gears MOST LIKELY (since it was 22RE to begin with..)

if not then 4.30's i believe????

he specifies 29" tall tires in the post MyYota

my post was just fun lol

my 22R in my '86 pickup with 31" muds and 4.10 gears does A HECK OF A LOT better than THAT...lmao heck mines a straight up top fuel dragster compared to that lmfao
Old 10-13-2010, 08:43 AM

This was just a bit of a shock to me... lol. I bought the truck without actually driving it, I replaced the starter and it fired right up. But I did not expect it to be this slow... it's unbelievable. It makes merging on the highway difficult, if you can imagine.

Something must be wrong then? I know that an auto & the drag of 4wd don't help, but still. And my old car, a Camaro I worked on as a project, would do the 1/4 mile in 12 secs at over 100 mph I can't believe how slow it is.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:00 AM

Prime time... YES, something is wrong, period, straight out, .....IOWords, ....time to start 'fishing for causes', Ya know?

Why don't you post what you know about it in regards to these things.....

1. Was it EVER rebuilt(if so, when, how many Mi. ago and do you have proof?)
2. When was the last time you went through and did a full tune up and evaluation of such things as compression, vacuum, etc.?
3. Is it throwing any codes?
4. Last time you did a full tranny flush and refill?
5. Last time you serviced your injectors?( or at least ran some seafoam through the tank)
6. Did this truck go from Sea Level to 5000feet????
7. Are you SURE you were not on an incline while testing the acceleration?

Just a few questions to get you started. Just out of curiosity, ...are you mechanically inclined? If not, can you drop 98$ at Toyota for a diagnosis?

PS> You can forget about anything more than 12 Seconds 0-60, stock, anyhow.(I'm just guessing, some 3.0 guys might chime in and give you their 0-60 stats,...but it will NEVER be a 12 Second 1/4 Mile car, with that motor, ya know?)

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-13-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 AM

For the record, I never wanted or expected it to be fast. Just better than this

1: Doubtful. If I remember correctly, it was swapped in with 90,xxx miles on the motor. How many miles have been put on since then, I don't know

2: Have not done that yet, I've only had the truck for a couple weeks now

3: Off and on, the check engine light comes on (Unpredictably?) Previous owner said something about it doing that because some wiring harness under the intake manifold wasn't replaced when he removed the manifold last? Said that he couldn't figure it out until he talked to a Toyota tech about it, who said they always replaced that harness anytime the manifold was removed? I dunno, definitely need to look into that more.

4: A couple days ago, changed the filter and all. Measured how much fluid drained out and put the same amount back in with new fluid

5: I've never done that, no idea if he has either. Good idea though, thanks

6: Not sure what you're asking exactly? I'm in Utah, up near the mountains. My altitude is 5,000 feet (gets up to 9000 in the mountains) but I haven't dared try to go over them! But I haven't driven the truck up any real altitude yet.

7: Now that you mention it, it might have been a slight incline. Not much though....

Am I mechanically inclined? Yes, I built my own motor not too long ago (Actually did a V6 to V8 swap, and swapped the transmission too). But that was a Chevy, Toyotas are still new to me. I'm a newb to EFI too, I admit. There's going to be a learning curve here. So you'll all have to be patient with my ignorance at first I've never worked on an OHC motor before

And like I said, I never expected this to be a fast car. But it's gotta be better than this!

When I bought the truck, it came with some extra parts, including a pair of rebuilt 3.0 cylinder heads... maybe that shoulda clued me in to something
Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 AM

Wow...that's pretty bad...I know my old '90 would do it in about 13-14ish, with a 18.8 quarter mile but that sound's rediculous. Im thinking the wiring your talking about is probably the pig tail for the knock sensor, and if that is malfunctioning, the computer would be cutting everything to try and save the motor. Figuring that issue out would probably help your situation out quite a bit...
Old 10-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
check the timeing...
Old 10-13-2010, 10:18 AM

Just trying to help out so people don't have to scroll back and forth for my questions and your answers, hehe. My questions are in Yellow.......

For the record, I never wanted or expected it to be fast. Just better than this

1: Was it EVER rebuilt(if so, when, how many Mi. ago and do you have proof?) Doubtful. If I remember correctly, it was swapped in with 90,xxx miles on the motor. How many miles have been put on since then, I don't know

2: When was the last time you went through and did a full tune up and evaluation of such things as compression, vacuum, etc.?
Have not done that yet, I've only had the truck for a couple weeks now

3: Is it throwing any codes?Off and on, the check engine light comes on (Unpredictably?) Previous owner said something about it doing that because some wiring harness under the intake manifold wasn't replaced when he removed the manifold last? Said that he couldn't figure it out until he talked to a Toyota tech about it, who said they always replaced that harness anytime the manifold was removed? I dunno, definitely need to look into that more.

4: Last time you did a full tranny flush and refill?
A couple days ago, changed the filter and all. Measured how much fluid drained out and put the same amount back in with new fluid

5: Last time you serviced your injectors?( or at least ran some seafoam through the tank)
I've never done that, no idea if he has either. Good idea though, thanks

6: Did this truck go from Sea Level to 5000feet???? Not sure what you're asking exactly? I'm in Utah, up near the mountains. My altitude is 5,000 feet (gets up to 9000 in the mountains) but I haven't dared try to go over them! But I haven't driven the truck up any real altitude yet.
(Answering you; What I meant was, "Did the truck come from a lower elevation, from the PO, to where it is now???")

7: Are you SURE you were not on an incline while testing the acceleration?
Now that you mention it, it might have been a slight incline. Not much though....

Am I mechanically inclined? Yes, I built my own motor not too long ago (Actually did a V6 to V8 swap, and swapped the transmission too). But that was a Chevy, Toyotas are still new to me. I'm a newb to EFI too, I admit. There's going to be a learning curve here. So you'll all have to be patient with my ignorance at first I've never worked on an OHC motor before

And like I said, I never expected this to be a fast car. But it's gotta be better than this!

When I bought the truck, it came with some extra parts, including a pair of rebuilt 3.0 cylinder heads... maybe that shoulda clued me in to something
PS> YES< the knock sensor can MOST DEFINITELY give you major issues. There are a couple threads on this site as to, not only, how much a pain that can be to repair(but you can do it, being inclined as you are)...but also, as to how to replace it or repair it's wiring. As was mentioned above, the Knock sensor being disconnected or faulty causes the timing to retard to such a degree, that, well, YOU WILL NOT have any power. I would check/verify that, first, bud.

Best wishes,

Mark
Old 10-13-2010, 10:58 AM

Okay, thank you so much for the help!

And just to answer question #6, the previous owner is at the same elevation as me. Only a few miles from my house actually.

I'll look into the knock sensor for sure.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofer
check the timeing...
x2
had a 90 3.0 that was lagging bad, re set timing and its good to go....
Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 AM

Just one thing to add...

I noticed while looking under the truck, that the oxygen sensor is really far back it seems to me. It's out behind the transfer case, thats where the pipes from the headers merge.

I didn't think too much of it at first, because it still passed emissions and all. But I know that some oxygen sensors need to heat up to 600* before they work properly... could this be part of the problem as well? What do you guys that know EFI think?
Old 10-13-2010, 11:41 AM

Hope that helps...... Just wondering, since yours is a swap... could it be messing with the ECU, etc? Not sure. someone will know.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:55 AM

The EFI could have something messing with it for all I know.

The 3.0 harness was made into a "stand-alone" system, and he kept the original 22RE computer for the dash lights, transmission etc. Pretty sure he wired the check engine light up correctly. But I'm honestly not sure how I'd go about checking for codes, since it's a stand-alone system? I hate being EFI retarded lol

And I didn't realize the O2 sensor was so far back stock, that's probably not the culprit then. I'm used to them being only as far back as the tranny bellhousing.

I think I'm going to try running some seafoam through this thing too, can't hurt right? I've never actually used it before though.

--One last thing, slipped my mind somehow. Sometimes, not always, when I get on the gas from a stop, it'll act like it's bogging down. It "hesitates" for a second, feels almost like it's gonna die, and then goes. Does that help diagnose what it could be?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:58 PM

The EFI could have something messing with it for all I know. Sure could, ....OR NOT! lol. Sorry, and trust me, just cuz I say something to lighten the subject...., that doesn't mean I take it lightly, k? This STINKS trying to chase down a gremlin,...just read my threads, I KNOW of these lil bastages, lol.

The 3.0 harness was made into a "stand-alone" system, and he kept the original 22RE computer for the dash lights, transmission etc. Pretty sure he wired the check engine light up correctly. But I'm honestly not sure how I'd go about checking for codes, since it's a stand-alone system? I hate being EFI retarded lol I'm not help here... still learning on the swaps, etc. Seems to me, however, this could cause some issues, using the 22re Puter. I believe it's searching for results and levels of Fuel Air and O2 feedback that's DEFINITELY different from the 3.0... Not sure exactly how much, if any, but that might be an issue.(???)

And I didn't realize the O2 sensor was so far back stock, that's probably not the culprit then. I'm used to them being only as far back as the tranny bellhousing.

I think I'm going to try running some seafoam through this thing too, can't hurt right? I've never actually used it before though. Yeah? Well, maybe might wanna remove the 02 Sensor before doing that. Are you saying you want to run it through the intake as well, or just in the tank? I've heard people saying that when doing the intake treatment, it sent their O2 sensors over the proverbial edges that they were hanging from to begin with, lol. Just like you don't put cleaners in the Throttle Body with the TPS attached, right? However, in just the tank?...That should be fine, it's made to work that way.

--One last thing, slipped my mind somehow. Sometimes, not always, when I get on the gas from a stop, it'll act like it's bogging down. It "hesitates" for a second, feels almost like it's gonna die, and then goes. Does that help diagnose what it could be?
When my truck was doing this, it was DEFINITELY my Original TPS taking a turn for the worst, in combination with my ORIGINAL O2 SENSOR! lol. I replaced and set the TPS to Rogers specs and VOILA, the hesitation went away.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Sorry, that last sentence of mine was in relation to the last sentence of yours, "One last thing" part.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:05 PM

Ugh, all this stuff is expensive lol

Knock sensor is over $200 bucks, don't wanna know what those other sensors cost either. Hopefully I just need the harness for the sensor...

But whatever, it'll probably be worth it if I get it running decently. I'll be the only guy who feels like his 3.0 is fast

Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it. I think I'm gonna take the truck to a dealership to see if they can figure out what's really up with it, and then do the work myself. I sure don't want to throw money at parts that don't need to be replaced.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ditch the 300lbs girlfriend, tell you she's wearing out your truck.

Edit: you as a couple are 300lbs together

Last edited by Matt16; 10-13-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 0 - 60 in.... 27 seconds??