Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

westjohns possible beater, 83 dlx 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
def likeing the get 50% deal on the speakers! just wish i had more room in the reg cab, thought bout cutting some speker holes in the box im almost done building for the console area, one on each side and two in the back? really need my camera cord, its hear somewhere
Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Why not just 2 in the Dash and 2 in the rear? (does that have dash 4" slots?.... Can't remember on my 83)
Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 PM

BTW, those newer Pioneer 2 Way 4" speakers sound SICK! I was in a buddy's truck and heard them in action with nearly the same stereo... Sounded REALLY good and were able to handle the full 50W when hitting the higher end of volume control. He had 2 6x9's, one in each door... Sounded VERY good. He's getting an amp and "Thin Box" made for behind seat sitch's.... for 2 8"ers,,,, and it'll be plenty thumpy for a PU cab.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:14 AM

josh likes this idea! ^ and happy birthday to me! finally legal!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:02 PM

well had an issue today that i had to solve, lets just say the trucks back in a running and driving state again but not fixed, 86 didnt wanna start today and i need to go to work, lucky only had the front of the motor pulled, not anything big so it took me an hr or 2 to throw the rad, water pump, exhuast manifold, and carb back on and make it too work in time....
Old 08-26-2012, 11:02 PM

oh and as soon as i update my new phone ill take some pics and throw them up, gotta love CL
Old 08-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Well after driving it for a few days, fixing my 86, cold start inj was plugged, I think the number 1 piston rod broke....... Not knocking but isn't moving at all so somethings up gonna just pull the motor after this hurrican passes.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 PM

to pull with, or without trans, ideas? i really dont wanna hassle with the trans but dont wanna fight the motor lining it up again.....
Old 08-27-2012, 11:30 PM

I keep hearing that.... I've not had a problem pulling/installing mine 3 times.. Takes a LIL wiggling, but that's just it... Leave the motor mounts on the frame and block... when ready, use em as markers and then drop accordingly and have someone pull down on the front as you line it up from the side. As you get really close to seating the first part of the input shaft into the pilot/through the clutch... you should be able to lay the motor JUST BARELY on the mounts.... You don't want to LAY it on there fully as it'll negate whatever 'wiggleability' you have left, lol. But you do want it touching/just about sitting on the retainer tabs on the frame side mounts. Then, as you're left with 1/2" or so, from Bell to Block, ...start those few easier bell housing bolts and PULL THAT SUCKER IN PLACE While you're at it, TAKE SOME VIDEO, DANGIT! hahaha.

PS> Don't forget to pull the radiator! haha. JK, ... I know, I know. Just messin man.

PSS> DANG, ... I'm really sorry to hear bout that happening to your beast! How you think it happened?
Old 08-28-2012, 06:37 PM

im not sure, i think its just gradually gotten worse, but i fixed the problem completely now, im just 4 trans bolts from it being out but cat 1 winds and pouring rain started to happen to i closed the hood and pulled the tools inside, they said it should be better by about 9 am tommorow morning, ill clean the garage and start getting it ready for my engine on the stand, on a crap note the iphone 3 i bought on CL for 50$ doesnt support IOs 4.2 nessary for photbucket app, thefore no pics! :C
Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 PM

cheated and managed to grab some pics the two toys sitting together, my fav pic!

this is before i started tearing down the 22r, the wiring isnt hacked at all! everything under hear works and its clean!

the one thing i disliked, PO bypassed the ful filter... not sure why....

and before i called it a day this is where it sat, 4 bolts on the tranny holding it in
minus the the carb cleaner and all that, this was before i pulled that
Old 08-28-2012, 07:49 PM

GOOD GAWD! lol... I think that's a lil tall for my needs.... BUT IT SURE LOOKS BA! hahaha. Nice looking toys, man! !!!!!!!!!

Wait, ...wth? I thought you blew something on the 86?????? You're pulling both though? Just refresh me, ...I'm tired, ... please? lol.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 PM

nooooooo, the cold start inj was plugged up mark and it didnt wanna start, i was driving this bc the 86 didnt wanna start then i think i broke the rod in the 82, therefore the whole motor coming out of it other then just the head
Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 PM

i cleaned the 86 cold start inj and shes up and running now as i tear down the 82
Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 PM

Oh, I could have sworn I read it as "86 threw a rod" .... but got it now, thanks! hahaha.

Cool... glad it was an easy fix
Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 PM

nahhh hasnt throw anything yet (knocks on wood), i hope this motor isnt toast, if somethings majorly wrong i think a junk yard engine might do for the time being depending on how bad this thing is, ill pull the oil pan before the head before anything, if everythings in specs, new rod bearing, (a new rod) headgasket and timing chain and ill call it done
Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 AM

Sounds good... Kill it!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:55 AM

haha thanks mark! i plan on it some day then throwing a 7mgte under there! anyways, today was production, even though i didnt get the motor out, with the weather were having i didnt want it outside since my garage was pakced full, fixed that, have a nice clean work area now, also, the rear busted tail light had some body damage too, bent it out best i could, sqaured it up, sanded it down, primed and painted it, threw the new one on there, looks much better, also took the tool box i had and threw it on the back, tommorow if everything goes right i can have the motor out, just gotta work at 5 tonight and didnt wanna run out of time, ill post pics up tonight for sure!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 PM

picssss!!!!!!! Cleaned the garage today but didnt have before and after pics so it wasnt worth it but got something positive done on the truck!

this is the before pic of the busted one

i pulled that one off and replaced it with this one

then bent it back out best i could with the very little body tools i have and gave it a good sanding, i think somebody used bondo on this truck as it has quite a bit as you can see, then gave a it a good prime with rust killer

then shot it with rust olem rust killer and make it look better, ill repaint the whole thing one day

new tail light in and looking much better!

also have some other pics of the truck, dash, not to bad of shape, gonna throw a cover on it fore sure to keep it like this

intrement cluster

and the rest, dash is uncut, even the orginaly radio works...... and found the org tool set from 82!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 PM

, two things i need for the interior, the 4wd shifter boot and trans boot, and a gas pedal!!!, ill try trekkerpaul, i know he has some

Quick Reply: westjohns possible beater, 83 dlx 4wd