Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Valve Rapping - '82 22R

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve Rapping - '82 22R

Yup, I've done three valve adjusts in the last year .12 exhaust .08 intake, like it says in all the books. Still, there is That Noise - sounds like only one valve, but, Aargh!
This engine has 93,000 on an incredibly good rebuild, pushing 300,000 overall. Oil still looks like the day I put it in when I change it every 3,000. Currently using 10-W30.

While sitting at stop lights, I have heard many other 22R's makin' that same rappy-tappy sound. Is this just part of the territory for these venerable engines,
or should I be thinkin' about a full head rebuild, rocker shafts, etc.?

Thanks, y'all..
Old 08-24-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
they are loud anyway even with new valve train, but have you tried replacing the valve adjuster nuts and screws? mine has about 6000mi on rebuild with new complete head/valves and new cam and new screws and nuts. only thing reused was rockers/shafts and you can still hear my valves. however I did 92 Toy's valves when he did his head gasket using the old cam, screws etc etc. and have not touched them after setting them cold like he should have had me do and his are quieter than mine.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 08-24-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:41 PM

Hey - I just saw this on toymods.org.au:

"Dont laugh but on a 22R the rocker cover sits too close to the rocker's and when the rockercover gasket gets old or the cover is bolted down too tight the rockers (only 1 or 2) hit the rockercover giving you a "clack clack" noise that you would swar is a lose tappet.

I Spent ages chasing that noise on my old hilux and affter the 3rd tappet adjustment I worked it out.

To see if that is what yours is doing just loosen the rocker cover and maybe lift it a bit when its running and the annoying "clack clack" should stop.

Hopefully I may have just saved some fustration for some ppl and some burnt valves from overadjusting."

- Could this be true? Sounds possible, as there has been no change in the noise with every attempt, and the rapping always seems to be coming from the same place.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:52 PM

that clack could be it, but it sounds just a tad bit hollower and a deeper tone than a valve tap. but this is true info as there was a TSB on this changing the torque specs on the valve cover nuts.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:17 PM

I have to say, that it's a tad deeper and hollower than the ordinary valve rap. Just enough more, that for a time i was wondering if I had a bad wrist pin - or something worse. (A more seasoned gear-head friend upon listening told me that this was definitely not the case)

Guess I'll try lifting the valve cover with the thing running sometime tomorrow when I'm not pounding nails.

Last edited by Taoyota; 08-24-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Taoyota

Guess I'll try lifting the valve cover with the thing running sometime tomorrow when I'm not pounding nails.
I hope you got alot of towels ready for when you do this, being a SBC gearhead I thought I could do the same with my 22r well I did this to mine when i did my vavle lash for the very first time I had oil spewing all over the place, including on the hood !!!!.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:55 AM

Exhaust manifold leak maybe? I've had a problem with my exhaust manifold loosening up over time and I get the louder than usual valve train noise. Always from the #4 cylinder in the back.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:24 AM

Well, I lifted the valve cover a smidge with it running and.... tapping loud as ever.
Back to square one. Would really rather not try the cold adjust, I figger all the manuals say to do it hot for a reason. New adjusting screws and nutz? Maybe try that next, unless anyone else has another suggestion?

Thanks y'all.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 AM

how many miles are on your cam?

i bet you have a flat spot....

Al
Old 08-26-2010, 01:55 PM

Could well be the original cam, which would mean that it's got 284,000 on it. Hmm...
Old 08-27-2010, 01:49 PM

yeah, i'd be surprised if it DIDN'T have a flat spot with that many miles!

good excuse to upgrade to a RV style cam, at least in my mind.

Al
Old 08-27-2010, 07:19 PM

I'm a little slow on the uptake in the modification dept. - so what's an "RV" cam?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:33 AM

its a cam with a little bit longer duration, keeps those valves open a little longer for more air and fuel to enter.

heres a good easy to understand explanation with animations: http://www.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm

check out engnbldr.com, and look around the web. they also have crawler cams for more low end torque, and other different cams for a little more performance. if you're in there changing the cam, you might as well get a little bit more power.

Al

Last edited by Al's Chop Shop; 08-31-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:02 AM

OK - I'm finally to the point of replacing this cam. Looks like if I am to go with any kind of modification, the RV cam would be the one. My question is, with the ever-present load and wind resistance of my camper, would an RV cam improve my gas milage, or eat into it?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Don't think so much A mild RV cam from engbldr may give you a slightly noticeable power increase, and I doubt you'll notice much on the gas consumption end. I would be interested to hear your results though! I got my RV cam with my engine rebuild...so of course there was more power. No way for me to know how much power came from the rebuilt engine, and how much from an upgraded cam. My truck is still mostly a dog on mtn passes...but it's better than some old Toyotas I've had.

Bottom line, should have put in a new cam with the engine rebuild. These days, with these old trucks, there's no point in going stock with something like a cam. An engnbldr "mild RV" cam is going to be like stock but better. But ask Ted at engnbldr! Let him know how you use your truck and what you want, and he'll get it to you, for a good price.

edit: and yes, tightening the valve cover too much will cause the valves to tap against it. New gaskets (valve cover and grommets), and don't torque on those bolts. Too bad that wasn't your issue, though...

Last edited by 83; 04-11-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 PM

Thanks 83, I think that pretty much clears it up. I know it's gonna run better when I get a new cam in there, whatever one I choose.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:44 AM

I got same problem on my 81...What about only hearing the valves when under a load like goin up hill..could they be hittin the cover cause I set then things like 4 times and check them and there still perfect.....maybe I need the new adjusters and nuts?????let me kno what fixes yours so I can try
Old 04-23-2011, 07:38 AM

Hey Coleman - Well, my new cam came last week (RV crawler from Enginebuilders), and I'll be headed to my local dealership for some new adjustment screws in a week or so.
When I put it all back together, I'll also use the rocker assembly from a much younger engine. The thing that'll make the most difference sound-wise will be the new screws, I'm a thinkin', and I believe that would work for you as well. Seems to me that if a rocker was hitting the cover, it'd be doing it all the time, but it doesn't hurt to look for a shiny spot on the inside of the cover.
Good luck with it all, and I'll post when I have mine back together to let everyone know how it turned out.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:21 AM

Yea changed screws on mine and when I put header back on I left small piece of old gasket on header so when new went on it made it leak. Replaced gasket and she running quite as ever....
Old 04-25-2011, 08:23 AM

Guess just small hole made it louder and sounded just like my valves......

Quick Reply: Valve Rapping - '82 22R