Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Trouble with 82 electrical - dome lights, gauges, heater blower, please help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Trouble with 82 electrical - dome lights, gauges, heater blower, please help...

A few days ago I yanked my starter out and had it rebuilt. While the starter was out I cleaned all the ground contact points front the neg. on the battery down to the the block. In addition I changed the terminal on the positive cable side of the battery. After I got the started back in, battery tested (good) and cables cleaned and replaced the rig would not come down off idle after a short spin. The rpm's remained high and only after a rev of the motor would it come back down. I did not touch the carb or any wiring to it. I also noticed this morning the heater blower is not working nor are the gauge lights (none of them) as well as the dome light. ALL these things were working prior to my repairs. The volt gauge is reading about 9 when up and running. Before this it was reading all the way to the right at 16 when the rig was running.
I am stumped and would appreciate any input on what to check.
Things I checked:
Fuses all good
no loose wires I can see
set the idle speed again (did nothing to help)
Old 09-10-2010, 07:47 PM

anyone??
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would go back over the wiring again, it sounds like something came loose or didn`t get hooked back up when you were done. Also check all of the fuses.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:57 AM

I did both of those. I am totally confused. Makes no sense to me what is going on.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:46 PM

UPDATE...
I found tonight the tail lights and side marker lights are not working in addition to the heater blower and dome lights.
Anyone??
Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds to me that the altenator is bad or going out. I know you stated you had the starter rebuilt and that you cleaned the terminals/connections from the neg side of the battery down to the block. I am not familiar with the layout of the 22RE but do any of the cables that you messed with come close to the altenator? Also what did you use to clean the contact points?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:13 PM

the motor is a 22r
The alternator cable I don't think it is part of that direct wiring. Without the key in the ignition the lights come one but only the headlights. The tail, side marker lights and dome/gauge lights don't. I don't think the alternator would have anything to do with that when there is no key on. The system was fine prior to this starter rebuild. I am at a total loss here. All I can think is the new pos terminal I put on where it connects to the pos side of the batter might have something to do with it or something to do with the starter.
I used dielectric grease on the contact points where I wire wheeled them.
All I did was take out the starter have it rebuilt put it back in cleaned the ground contact points on the block, the frame, the body (lower) and body (upper) as well as change out the terminal on the positive side. Now all this crap is happening.
Can't figure it out.

Last edited by toyospearo; 09-11-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 PM

anyone??
Old 09-12-2010, 06:13 AM

checked the grounds this morning on the frame and body. Didn't solve the problem. Anyone????
Old 09-12-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the high idle could be your electric choke going out, your alt is probably dying too, mine did it, it died and so did the little brain thing, so i went to a gm 1 wire, but when it was going out everything would shut off except the headlights due to the low battery.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toyospearo
the motor is a 22r
The alternator cable I don't think it is part of that direct wiring. Without the key in the ignition the lights come one but only the headlights. The tail, side marker lights and dome/gauge lights don't. I don't think the alternator would have anything to do with that when there is no key on. The system was fine prior to this starter rebuild. I am at a total loss here. All I can think is the new pos terminal I put on where it connects to the pos side of the batter might have something to do with it or something to do with the starter.
I used dielectric grease on the contact points where I wire wheeled them.
All I did was take out the starter have it rebuilt put it back in cleaned the ground contact points on the block, the frame, the body (lower) and body (upper) as well as change out the terminal on the positive side. Now all this crap is happening.
Can't figure it out.
Ya this is pretty weird, since the only thing I can think of that has caused the prob is the new terminal. Take out the new one you installed and install the old one back in. This would at least let you move on to other issues what ever they may be. I am thinking of other possibilities to try and help you out, but it makes NO sense!

Also make sure to check all fuses in your fuse box (in cab). Not only checking that they are good but make sure that the fuse prongs are making good contact with the female connectors in the box. Also it is weird to me why your are only making 9v instead of the 16v?

Last edited by LifterCatcher; 09-12-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:48 PM

I'm having the same problem. Replaced the 80amp, efi and dome light fuse still nothing. Just replaced the starter with a rebuild. Only get headlights when the key is out.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:04 PM

There are a couple two or three connections that are green that attach to the positive side of the battery terminal. I had an 81 with many of your exact issues; specifically the tail lights that would not work. You may have damaged the connection when you repalced the terminal or missed replacing it when re attaching it. I found that I had a bad connection, replaced the small connector and was back in buisness.