Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

power steering pressure fitting leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering pressure fitting leak

I just put power steering in my 80 pickup using all used parts. the pressure line fitting to the gear box is leaking from between the metal tube and the nut (dont know what elses to call it). I tried a new pressure line and the new one leaks in the same way. the line will still move and swivel when the fitting is tightened all the way down. the threads dont appear to be damaged in the gear box. why is this thing leaking. the instructions in my book for removing and installing the gear box dont say anything specific about the pressure line.
thanks for any help
Old 07-16-2011, 05:25 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Was it an OEM line to start with or did you match the fitting and make a new aftermarket line? Sounds like the wrong flare on the compression fitting so it's not sealing all the way.

:wabbit2:
Old 07-16-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Was it an OEM line to start with or did you match the fitting and make a new aftermarket line? Sounds like the wrong flare on the compression fitting so it's not sealing all the way.

:wabbit2:
the first line i tried was the line that came from the wrecking yard with the PS pump. then i tried a brand new one from autozone and it leaked the same way.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:15 AM

I'm having the same problems with this.. Did you get it fixed?

There is a removable metal 'gasket' inside the gear box connection that mates to a flat metal surface on the box, and a flared (45deg) metal surface on the power steering line. everything seems to be snug, and I removed that metal piece and cleaned both surfaces.

The pump side of the line has no problem at all, just the gear box. I swapped sides of the hose and it still leaks just from the gearbox side. It looks like the flared surfaces mate fine, and tighten down fine as well.

Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by neockder
I'm having the same problems with this.. Did you get it fixed?

There is a removable metal 'gasket' inside the gear box connection that mates to a flat metal surface on the box, and a flared (45deg) metal surface on the power steering line. everything seems to be snug, and I removed that metal piece and cleaned both surfaces.

The pump side of the line has no problem at all, just the gear box. I swapped sides of the hose and it still leaks just from the gearbox side. It looks like the flared surfaces mate fine, and tighten down fine as well.

Any ideas?
yeah i got mine fixed. i tightened it down tighter than seemed safe. i mean i really had to put some elbow grease on it and i thought i was going to strip something but now the leak has stopped