Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Oh Crap... motor mount blown!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Crap... motor mount blown!

Don't you hate it when this happens? I think the sound of fan on radiator shroud is what happens when it flexes. D@mn!

Motor Mount Video link

I ordered a pair of Anchor 8162 mounts. Any advice on install would be appreciated. Just getting to them means removing stuff. I suppose an engine hoist overhead, and a crowbar here and there will do the trick????

Last edited by 83pingpong; 08-15-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Just unbolt the other motor mount from the frame mount (2 bolts)

Put a jack under the bellhousing and give it a few cranks

Then you should have enough play to remove the bad mount and replace it.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
replace one side at a time.
pretty easy.
just make sure to hook your grounds back up
Old 08-16-2013, 03:34 AM

Great advice. Very much appreciated. I'll just do the right one for now. Fortunately, the right side is more accessible.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I didn't have to take anything off my engine to get to my mounts, but maybe you have a different setup.

We just got an engine hoist (friend happened to have one), loosened the bolts, jacked it up. He did one side and I did the other.

Nothing came off the truck (except the old mounts), and I think the whole process took 30 minutes.

Mine didn't fall forward...the one mount that broke let the engine fall sideways. I thought it was a tranny thing...because when it happened, the gear shifter suddenly moved over. When I was in first, it was way over where it would usually be in 5th.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
these poly mounts will work as replacements as well and have a safety interlock if the poly breaks/cracks
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ntifier=353697
Old 08-16-2013, 07:50 AM

My hoist has a spare engine hanging from it at the moment, so I'll use the floor jack under the bell housing suggestion. The clearance issue is just my fat hands, Zack! The right side (the broken one) is more accessible, but the left has the power steering pump there. I can see it, but haven't tried putting my hands in there with a wrench yet. Seemed tight.

Also, when I lift the engine, the fan will probably bind on the radiator shroud. Maybe I can bend it out of the way enough. But it is original, and might crack if I do that. Otherwise, it is just a few 10mm bolts to pull that off.

When it happened, I thought I lost a shock mount! Weird thumping sound from left front area, especially when turning. The weird thing is that the exhaust was louder. A lot louder. I do not see any exhaust pipe breaks or cracks yet. And I did not notice the gear shift moving (and I was shifting, getting home).

One look under the hood, and when I saw the snorkel hose was PULLED OFF (!), I was pretty sure it was a motor mount. I mean the one connecting the air filter to the can mounted on the front cross member (stock setup, OEM carb and filter ass'y).

Rock Auto already shipped or I'd check on the Poly Mount option. FEDEX. I hope it gets here by Tuesday or Wednesday. I have more stuff to haul!

Last edited by 83pingpong; 08-16-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:47 AM

I didn't have power steering, so that's probably a big part of it.

Rock Auto will do you good. the poly mounts tend to transfer more vibration, so you'd probably feel it driving down the road. From what I hear. Your first, stock mount lasted 30 years.

The poly, reinforced mounts are more for people doing a lot more wheeling, and less paved road driving with their trucks.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by 83
I didn't have power steering, so that's probably a big part of it.

Rock Auto will do you good. the poly mounts tend to transfer more vibration, so you'd probably feel it driving down the road. From what I hear. Your first, stock mount lasted 30 years.

The poly, reinforced mounts are more for people doing a lot more wheeling, and less paved road driving with their trucks.
I think the truck is basically all original, including the motor (at 230k). Minor smoke now and then, but I want to push it one more year before rebuild.

But when I got the truck, I started to use it for hauling stuff like bags of cement on a trailer, cinder block, paving base (ground limestone). I am not surprised one of the old mounts failed. I actually had to shift to low range to get off stop light on a hill nearby a couple of times. That must have tweaked them! I should probably go ahead and do them both seeing as they are both just as old.

The power steering pump will cause headaches with the wrench access, but maybe not so bad.

Hey, the Chinook looks excellent. Nice wood paneling and re-roof. I can toss a sleeping bag under the canope, but that is primitive compared to cushioned bench seating and a table, with windows and a door! Sweeet!

Last edited by 83pingpong; 08-16-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:52 AM

Yep, it's a big upgrade from the back of a truck!

I just need to keep that in mind, and stop looking at all the motorhomes bigger than mine and how comfy they are...slipperly slope!
Old 08-16-2013, 02:47 PM

I also have the original motor mounts on my 82, this is not a mud truck but do you guys think that if I replace my old ones with new Toyota mounts it will help some of the vibration or what. I been trying to get at this vibration since I got the truck, just put a marlin tranny in last week and it helped but its still there.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:54 PM

I replaced mine with the ones from 4x innovations and didn't really notice that much of an increase with vibration. There's a tiny bit but the truck feels more solid.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:01 PM

Just put a stock one on and chain it down.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:56 PM

@#!o#!@

EDIT!
ROCK auto (did NOT) send me the WRONG mounts. CORRECTION, ROCK AUTO sent me EXACTLY what I ordered. Great price, wrong mounts though. IN FACT, ROCK AUTO IS REFUNDING MY ENTIRE ORDER PRICE, INCLUDING SHIPPING. I will pay for return shipping (they split the shipping with me...NICE FOLKS).

My '83 SR5 seems to be an unusual assembly line orphan. Anchor #8162 SHOULD fit! MORE later today when I see if the '79 mounts fit.

Name:  wrongmount_zps57651361.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  425.6 KB

Anchor part #8162 mounts are the same ones O'Reilly auto shows a perfect fit, so I do not blame Rock Auto. But this means I have to match the mounts locally, now that I have the failed mount in a bag! And more delay. The subject/title of this post expresses my fuming situation- Yeah That...

Advance Auto near my house showed the same Anchor part! But, has a local store with another possible alternative we think might fit. I won't pay $70 x 2 for Beck Arnley (NO!). He'll have it at the store in the morning. $40 down the drain. I'll get $30 of it back eventually, but I have to pay shipping back to Rock, I am sure!@#!@! Not my week.

Oh, and the alternative parts start at over $30 apiece. I'll stop now.

Last edited by 83pingpong; 08-23-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:49 PM

My mounts from 4x werent exact but they weren't off that much. The bolt would still go through definitely. Sad to hear about your luck man. Low range off road carries stock mounts and their bomb proof ones. You could check them out.

Beamed from my dumbphone
Old 08-22-2013, 04:00 AM

Those bomb proof mounts at low range look excellent, but I need these today! I have Duralast (Autozone) and Beck/Arnley (Advance) part numbers to check local stores today, and match side by side if available. I am getting desperate, with jobs backing up! The motor needs to be bolted in again... tonight!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:08 AM

Crappy. I could find where I got mine from, but you'd still need to order them online
Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 AM

You could probably chain it for now and order the mounts. I wish I could help. I just tossed the old one that I had. It looked like it was about to go though.

Beamed from my dumbphone
Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 AM

If you call John's Foreign Engines (google them), they should be able to give you a part number. I just looked up my receipt and that's where I got mine from. Fit 100% perfect, no difference in fit from my original mounts.

I tried to find a part number but I only see their business number for them...22rmount or something, so that's not helpful.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Motor mounts upgrade for cheap

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...mounts-232595/

Quick Reply: Oh Crap... motor mount blown!