Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Making a toyota camper pass smog in California

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making a toyota camper pass smog in California

Hey All,

Sorry for being one of those who just signed up to have a question answered. Even worse, it's not even about a 4X4 but about a Toyota truck with a camper on the back (though I hope to one day make it a 4X4). I have very limited mechanical experience so I hope you toyota truck guys can help.

I am looking into buying a toyota chinook from out of state, but I'll have to bring it back to california. Unfortunately, all the smog equipment was removed during an engine rebuild by the owner (who is a mechanic). The photo below is from 4 years (12,000 miles) ago.

QUESTION:
How difficult, typically, would it be to get this guy smog-worthy?
-I know I'll have to get an original carb, pump and cat (and whatever else). Would it be simply a case of installing these parts and it should pass, or should I expect to spend hundreds/thousands on diagnosing, tweaking, rebuilding?

-essentially whats the best case scenario, the worst, and the most likely?

thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails Making a toyota camper pass smog in California-engine.jpg   Making a toyota camper pass smog in California-chinook.jpg  
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 AM

The cool thing is that Toyota sold most of their trucks to meet CA-smog. That said, your best bet is to find someone that's selling off their smog equipment for a 20R, it's usually fairly cheap to do, and see if you can find a diagram.

It looks like you have a Weber carb, so instead of going back to the stock Asco carb, it would be easier to get the smog-compatible Weber carb. It'll be easier, and cheaper.

You'll need
- EGR and crossover
- Smog pump
- carb
- miles of vacuum tubing.

I recommend buying the carb from LC Engineering, and seeing if they can throw in a copy of their de-smog kit's instructions, and following them in reverse.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 AM

Cool, I'll definitely look into that!

That said, if there is anybody by orange county/Los Angeles that has their old smog equipment laying around, message me!

The question that still stands is, assuming this guy did a good (or even halfway decent) job rebuilding the engine. Should I assume that getting it smog worthy will just be to buy the parts and install them? Or how likely is it that this will just be a huge headache?

I'll only have 50 days (which isn't too much time since I am a full time student and working) and very little money to get it smog cert, and I'm concerned that I'll just be wasting my money if this gamble goes in the wrong direction.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Nice Chinook
Old 01-14-2013, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by RobotMoose
I recommend buying the carb from LC Engineering, and seeing if they can throw in a copy of their de-smog kit's instructions, and following them in reverse.
I sent them an e-mail and they replied stating that unless I had a celica or a corona, they couldn't help me... a bit odd. for simplicity sake I might just grab a stock carb when I head to a pick-a-part.

They also said to contact California Smog department when I asked about their de-smog instructions. So no help there either. If you or anyone else has anything that can help me with reconstructing the smog gear, let me know.
(I have the chilton repair manual coming in the mail, hopefully that can help)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:25 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
There is a Yahoo Toyota Chinook group that you might think about joining. I don't know if anybody would have parts, but to be honest, there may be more pre-79, 2wd Toyotas around in the form of Chinooks than just regular pickups, at this point. So it's probably a good idea to get in with that community and at least give it a chance.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Im far from an expert on this, but is there a chance it could pass smog if he just installed a cat. After all the motor is rebuilt and if its running tip top then it should pass???
I know there is a visual inspection involved under the hood for emissions components, but that could very easily be dummied.

My opinion and probably many others is that those motors ran better without all that weird stuff

Last edited by ThatGuy1295; 01-14-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by 83
There is a Yahoo Toyota Chinook group that you might think about joining.
I'm actually already a part of the group. That's where I found the guy who is selling this.

I was hoping that you off-road guys would know a bit about these older trucks, and have the some extra parts laying around, but now that I think about it.... there weren't any 4x4s pre 79, so why would you.

I'll ask around and see where it gets me. thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
My opinion and probably many others is that those motors ran better without all that weird stuff
I wish it could pass smog as is, unfortunately California's opinion is a bit different and I don't think i have the connections for a dirty smog.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 PM

Get the smog legal weber i have one on my 20r runs great passed ca smog with 0 issues just do it you'll never regret it
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by MortalYota
Get the smog legal weber i have one on my 20r runs great passed ca smog with 0 issues just do it you'll never regret it
Maybe you can be more help than LC engineering.

Is there some part or add on I could purchase separately to turn the weber already on it, into a smog-legal one? or would I have to purchase a completely new carb?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 AM

Cali smog is a bitch, however if you can find a helpfull smog guy this would be good.
I had a 83 that passed every test but the visual. It had a stock carb, but the guy started digging around and found stuff blocked off. Fail
Some places are better than others.
Good new is if the truck was a federal spec truck you only have to meet that smog spec.
If it was truck sold in cali new, you have to meet that standard.

Last edited by toastyjosh; 01-15-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by toastyjosh
Cali smog is a bitch, however if you can find a helpfull smog guy this would be .
Good new is if the truck was a federal spec truck you only have to meet that smog spec.
If it was truck sold in cali new, you have to meet that standard.
I'm gonna start my search for a helpful smog shop this week. Hopefully I can find something before I actually buy the truck.

Unfortunately, these campers were made and sold in Cali. This truck only recently moved out of state and I'd be bringing it back.

Last edited by Haleth; 01-15-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 AM

This is the lce kit
http://www.lceperformance.com/20R-We...-p/1030061.htm

Its not cheap, not sure what the differences are between kits. May be easer than trying to find OEM stuff.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by toastyjosh
This is the lce kit
http://www.lceperformance.com/20R-We...-p/1030061.htm

Its not cheap, not sure what the differences are between kits. May be easer than trying to find OEM stuff.
I guess I could sell the current weber carb and buy this one... But I feel like it would be easier if there is just a simple piece I could buy separately.

This is what is installed
http://www.lceperformance.com/Weber-...-p/1030021.htm

This is what I need
http://www.lceperformance.com/20R-We...-p/1030060.htm

Now if only I could get someone at LCengineering to tell me if there is anything I can do to make the current carb smog legal by buying the missing parts. Or if I would need to buy the complete new set.