Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Interior Restoration. Where/How to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Restoration. Where/How to start

Hey Guys,
Just got the truck painted so now its time to work on the interior. The top of my dash is starting to corode and is kinda falling apart. So I need a replacement.

The truck is a 1980 4wd longbed 20R 4 speed

I'd like to go bucket seats with a center consolde but don't know where to start.

A CD player would be nice and new carpet as well. Its the stock tanish interior.

Heres a pic of the outside:

I'm going to eventually lift it and add some rock sliders but I want to make the inside as confortable as possible first. Its pretty dust and just old. other then that its good. Anyone know where I can find replacement door and wall panels?

Any interior help/suggestion would be great!

Thanks,
-Rcbro
William@rcbros.com
Old 08-12-2006, 07:33 AM

Get some taco seats, only one hole needs to be drilled, go to autozone and order a dash cover. then get some fabric and cover your panels, and wall panels.. unless you can get lucky and find good ones at a junker, the dealer wants 400 for 85 sr5 panels.
you can get some carpet from wally world along with your CD player. My 80 has taco buckets, and i have a center console from like bestop or the other manufacturer. and it all fits in nice.

Last edited by Sonofmayhem; 08-12-2006 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:00 AM

taco buckets?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

The nice and supportive seats found in later 4Runner's and Tacoma's (TACO). 1995.5-2004
Old 08-12-2006, 05:46 PM

sorry, what john said, they sit a bit higher but ill adjust. Personally im just gonna paint my floor in either bedliner, rubber, or rustoleum. Im not too worried about it, seeing as its my wheeler.

Here is my interior now, i need to get my tools organized, and my console and seats bolted down.

Last edited by Sonofmayhem; 08-12-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:23 PM

Which perticular "Taco" seats did you pick? year make?

I just don't really care for the carper look but it may be my only choice

Thanks for the help and advice
Old 08-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

Slap on a good coat of bedliner. It insulates, reduces noise/sound dampens, protects against rust, and looks cool.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:06 PM

diamong plate or plain polished aluminum makes just about the sickest door panels u can get. Even cheapo racign seats in vinil look good and last decent and are easy to clean.You can easily get 2 fro 200.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:44 AM

i dont know, but they are like 95.5 to 2000 if i had 500 to rebuild my interior i would make sure all of the seals are good, then i would go with seats, 2 for 20 at my junker, then cover them 30, then bedliner the floor 50-100, then dash cover, 40, then panels, just the cost of material.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:40 PM

I really want to tacke the seats but not sure if I have the proper tools. I've never really looked at what needs to be done etc..
Old 08-14-2006, 11:44 AM

you need like a 14mm socket or wrench or somewhere around there to remove the seats, then if you dont get stockers, you have to custom fab railings in some cases, some vehicles line right up. If you dont find good seats i would rip off all of the fabric, spray the padding w/ Kilz paint, then have your local custom shop cover em. Some people around here reupholster an entire single cab for four hundred, including panels, carpet, dash and seats.

I just did my floor w/ the rubberized undercoating, and im liking it so far.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:50 AM

Do you by any chance know what seats will line right up?

I was thinking about putting line-x or something similar on the floow boards and then just putting in some floor mats. But not sure how good that will look. Got any pics of your rubberized coating?

Getting the entire truck reupholster sounds kinda good. May consider it. But my dash is kinda crumbling so I'm not sure how I'll go about fixing that.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my '85 pickup seats were a close fit, but i had to drill new holes in the floor and on the rail. but they were close enough that i didn't have to do anything else.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:45 PM

here is that rubber shtuff. You only really feel the differance, and the only differance ive had between 3m and duplicolor, is duplicolor takes longer to dry.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:36 PM

Thank you. I've started to clean my door panels ETC.. and their near new looking now. But the plastic near the seatbelts etc.. is broken and cracked.

I found a company who makes dashes but i'm not sure what color will match my truck.
http://www.dashtops.com/dashboard/autodash.cfm/178

They said I could look at a SEM Brand Vinyl Paint color chart and they can match that color. But I can't find that anywhere lol

Few pictures of my interior

Last edited by RcBro; 08-16-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:47 PM

Ideas

This is what I did to my 86 4runner:
1. took everything out of the interior (including the dash) and cleaned and painted plastic parts.

2. undercoated the inner rear fenders, (need to do it to the inner front fenders too and inside doors), front floor board, and bed.

3. put down cheap sound deadening/ insulation stuff from Lowe's if you don't want to buy dynomat, which is probably the best stuff there is.

4. buy a carpet from a 95 tacoma truck and paint it black (or whatever color you desire) and put over the shiny sound deadening stuff.

Those are just some ideas to get the brainstorming going.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:16 PM

WOW, I'm not so worried about the carpet as I am the dash, seats and door panels.

I'd like to get something new for all of them. I've found the carpet.

Just need to figure out what color dash I need, find some new door panels ( or get some custom made) Install speakers and radio, and new seats.

Its going to be a project for sure. My main hobby is Radio control cars and now I got a full size truck to play with

I haven't taken my door panels off yet, because the cheap plaster board they are attached to its about to crumble lol. But did you just take out the door components then spray that coating inside their? What coating did you use and what purpose does it surve?

Also what cleaning stuff did you find to work best on the doors and dash? Mine is taking some serious elbow grease to clean up. I'm just using some cleaner called "Awesome" right now along with a green scrotch pad.

BTW, I amazed at the capet painting truck very cool :bigclap:

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:35 AM

i found armor all oxi magic is great for carpet or seats, its at walmart, but for dash or any vinyl and plastics id just use fantastic and then some armor all. I hated awesome, i had it and the damn bottle broke, then it didnt clean up for ลลลล. i would look at vatozone or walmart and ask folks to help you out.

AaronW - how do you like your sound deadening stuff from lowes? im thinking about doing the same thing, i just want a more comfortable ride. to the trail head.

Last edited by Sonofmayhem; 08-17-2006 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:25 AM

Hey RcBro were did you get that brush guard from. Is it custom made?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:35 AM

Not sure if it was bought or made. Good chance of both. Got it from my uncle and he got it from another guy lol.

So couldn't tell you. I can tell you it knocks down and goes through anything in its path

Quick Reply: Interior Restoration. Where/How to start