Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

How to find what I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to find what I need?

Alright guys. I am building my 83 sr5. I have done a lot of work to the truck currently I just got the motor back from the machine shop bored out new piston cam and all the bells and whistle. what I am doing now is cleaning up all the other parts and pieces. have to paint them and get them ready to bolt back onto the block. seeing as this is my first time really building any vehicle. I made my first mistake by not properly labeling bolts during the teardown of the motor. So that's going to be fun to figure out . what I'm really having trouble with is finding replacement bolts. I don't know that they are even made. I'm missing one bolt for the timing chain guide rails. some of my other bolts don't look so hot. so I am wantin to replace quite a few. I need some help. let me know what you guys do.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:31 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I go to my local Ace hardware that has an awesome metric section, check on amazon or find bolts at the pick n pull
Old 10-31-2016, 11:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Thing is depending where you live finding JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) Bolts can be rather hard to find local .

In my area if I asked at any of the hardware stores I would be told here are are metric bolts if we don`t have what you need we can`t help you.

Which left my dealer hardware prices are not bad or online suppliers Bel-Metric and others

So having no source local I bought a bin for JIS bolts and filled it up dropping so many nuts and bolts it works for me.

The thing to remember is M6x1.00 M8x1.25 M10x1.25 and M12x1.25 these will cover most all the sizes you need
Old 11-01-2016, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Thing is depending where you live finding JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) Bolts can be rather hard to find local .

In my area if I asked at any of the hardware stores I would be told here are are metric bolts if we don`t have what you need we can`t help you.

Which left my dealer hardware prices are not bad or online suppliers Bel-Metric and others

So having no source local I bought a bin for JIS bolts and filled it up dropping so many nuts and bolts it works for me.

The thing to remember is M6x1.00 M8x1.25 M10x1.25 and M12x1.25 these will cover most all the sizes you need

thanks that will help a lot I have been going through all of them and trying to find some of the much more specific ones it's a pain but not impossible
Old 07-20-2017, 07:55 AM

ok I, getting ready to order these bolts. What are the lengths i would need?