Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Help! head gasket job done, timing is another story..

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Balance head with combustion chamber up and not weight on valves or springs or spring keepers. Carfully poor 75-80cc of water into each chamber and wait and see if water shows up in intake or exauhst ports. gotta cook dinner. Post more later.

1stgen
Old 08-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i will try that in the next few days im in the process of getting a stock 22r complete carb to pan for 225 with 120k miles. supposedly rebuilt about 70k ago. i just need a bottom end and with ONE of the 3 heads i have laying around im sure i can get this truck going again... but im curious to hear what you have to say about that #4 piston and if i could possibly reuse it eventually?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 PM

partsdinosaur.com
Old 08-26-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Started to post once and lost my post somehow. If you can not feel the marks on #4 piston then I'm thinking heat scoring or a dry start. To be honest, I am at a bit of a loss on it. I would not reuse it, of that I am sure. From those pictures it looks like your rings never seated. That would explain the 20 psi bump. The bores seem to be minus the cross hatch pattern needed for proper ring break in. .50 on the piston means it is 1/2 or .5 mm oversize. Rock is a decent brand.

If I were you, I would drive up to SE Portland to see Ted at engnbldr.com. Bring your parts for him to see. Ted won't be quite as cheap as partsdinosaur.com, but he is generous with his very experienced opinion and although he is in the business of selling parts, he doesn't seem to be offended by one seeking the most economical of solutions.

1stgen

Finnaly it let me post. Kept saying I had an invalid token.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:36 PM

Good idea about taking them to Ted. I havent met him but someday i look forward to it, i ordered that rv cam from him and it was awesome, he also went out of his way to explain a bunch of stuff about it and what specs to set everything at around it. hes a good guy.

I cant feel the bores scratches(AT ALL) but i can easily feel the scrape on the skirt of the #4 piston.

So i got a motor from craigslist yesterday. early style 22r from an 83 pickup with 120k on the clock. supposedly rebuilt about 70k ago. came with an older webber. got it in today and started RIGHT up. plenty of power but it doesnt idle. so im thinking it has a few vacuum leaks or maybe the carbs gasket has seen better days. im gonna spray some starting fluid around it tomorrow to look for a leak, adjust the valves, change the oil, etc. i got the thing for 225 bucks! i also got a nice transfer case and a SOLID UNBENT front driveline to replace my aging and non working items in my truck for an extra 60 bucks! yay!

"so what are you going to do with your bored out and messed up motor?" well... i dont know exactly.. i know my wife will start hounding me in about a week or so... what do you guys think i should do? do you think i can sell the lower end like this or is it scrap? remember its been bored out .050 already and i havent measured the bore to see if its messed up yet. i have an old head that would fit it(i want to keep my performance head for this motor in the truck at a later date) that would fit and everything to rebuild a motor(minus that damaged piston) so if anyone local to salem oregon wants it hit me up!

and if so, how much can i sell this for?

Peace!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:31 AM

alright so its running, but theres a little water in the oil and vise versa, but it keeps going no matter what i do to it. i just drove it pretty hard down the block a few times and although after i rev it(not during but after i let off the gas) pretty hard then it starts puffing out white smoke for about a few seconds. it has rediculous power compared to my old 20r and even more than the one i just blew up(im willing the bet the compression was always bad from the "rebuilt" bottom end i just blew up)

anyway it idles kinda funny. its staying on 8 degrees time, but the rpm goes up and down almost at random. im thought vacuum leak somewhere but everything is capped off and i sprayed some water(didnt have starter fluid) and didnt see a difference around gaskets(nothing is sucking into the intake). and sometime once your done reving it like when you come to a stop, it just idles for a second then dies.. so i messed with the float level and that helped but its still a really wierd, inconsistant idle. that being said, i brought it back down to lean best settings from the weber website and it ran a little better, but as i started tuning it from the initial 2 turns out. i realized that no matter what it doesnt change the way it runs.. i can literally turn the mixture screw all the way in and have it run just fine.. the float isnt sticking.. what the hell is going on? arent i cutting the fuel when i do that? once i rev on it though the acceleration and throttle response is great no matter what, i just need it to idle better.. any ideas?

thanks!