Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

A few 2wd transmission and suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:16 AM
cdg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few 2wd transmission and suspension questions

Well I am well into my project Toyota pickup - a little neglected 1980 that I bought for $200 with a wooden flatdeck. This little truck rocks - very quiet little motor that has just enough of an oil burning habbit to let you know that it's a 20R. So let the questions roll.

The transmission is screaming at me, especially under deceleration. I need to identify it in order to attempt to get a transmission rebuild kit. It is a 5 speed manual. I've heard that the W56 may be the only 5 speed offered in this year. I am considering rebuilding it myself - I don't rely on the truck so it can be down for a week or two before I get antsy, but it is difficult to see if there are any identification tags on the transmissoin as this thing is so darned low to the ground...

This leads me to the next question. I plan to use the truck rather heavily. I work as a moonlight mechanic when I'm not working and have a customer that owns several ATVs. Once in presentable shape I plan to use my old Toyota to haul anything up to a full size ATV. Some of these bad boys can weigh up to 2000 pounds (some even more). Let's face it - that's a hefty load to ask of the little truck.

Now a brief flashback - as a little boy a customer in my dad's shop ran an '82 4x4 with a 1200 gallon fertilizer tank on the back of it. It was rotted to you-know-what back in Pennsylvania but it always handled the task. I believe it was a 1 ton cab and chasis model with a stake body on the back. It was set up with a buick V6 if the memory serves me right.

So the questions will roll as such:

1) If I intend to basically overload the old truck once in a while, what transmission is most desireable to the 2 wheel drive model? I was sort of hoping to find a 1 ton in a junkyard but was thinking you all might provide some experience on this one...

2) Suspension wise I think spring helpers would be mandatory. How good is the stock axle at handling heavy loads? I think mine is either 1/2 of 3/4 ton. I've heard rumors that the 1 ton cab and chasis was offered as a dually and that the rear axle in it is extremely strong...

3) I am looking for tire advise. There aren't any tires that are load rated in the 195/75/R14 size class that I can find. Does anybody have advice on heavy duty tires? I imagine they must exist...

I do not intend to torture the old girl but I did buy the truck so that I can use it to help with my work once in a while. The flat deck as it stands is not in my professional opinion able to withstand the loads I have in mind just yet, but I hope to invest a little money (probably a lot of money) in designing my own flat deck for the truck. As I see it the truck was already ruined when I got it so I can't really F it up any worse.

The reason for selecting a 2 wheel drive truck is one I used to scoff at until working in cabinetry (and injuring a knee unloading the boss's 8 inch lifted F350). The load height of the 4x2 allows me to effectively load and unload heavy things (namely motorcycles) very easily.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your truck still has the stock transmission it should be a w50, which came in trucks and celicas up to 83 IIRC. w50's can be identified by their cast iron center portion, and aluminum bellhousing and tailhousing.

If I were you, I would find another one to put in, as they are cheap and readily available, you could also but a w40 in there, as its exackly the same transmission, only missing 5th gear.

I've had 1300 pounds in my long bed, and it was riding on the bumpstops, I had enough power and braking for that load. But it was scary going down the road, as the truck was unstable